A problematic computer

So I just built a Ryzen 5 system last week and I'm having problems with it already. When I turned it on this morning, I expected it to boot normally to my Win10 installation in my SSD. However, it didn't boot and instead gave me the infamous 'No bootable media, press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart'.:mad:
These are my full system specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.2 GHz(Stock, no OC)
CPU cooler: Stock AMD Wraith cooler
Motherboard: Asrock AB350 Pro4
RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance 2x8 kit
GPU: Aorus RX 570 4G (20 MHz base OC)
SSD: Sandisk 240GB SSD
HDD: Seagate 2TB
PSU: Corsair CX550 Watt ATX

Please keep in mind that my case(which I don't know the details for) doesn't have any SSD mounts, so I had to(most ghetto solution) tape the SSD into the 3.5-inch drive bay. If anything's my problem, it'll probably be this, but it might be something else. Please keep in mind I'll be on holiday from Sunday and should be back on Thursday, so I can still respond during that time, but won't be able to do any troubleshooting.And also I won't be able to purchase anything big, like a new part or something.

My SSD is my main boot drive which has Windows 10 on it, and the 2TB drive which used to have a copy of Windows 7 on it, and when I go to BIOS, it finds the SSD and the 2TB HDD, but in the boot options it doesn't say I can have it as a boot device.:mad:

Hi Eamon.

Tape might restrict air flow. My solution years ago was 1/2" thin wall plastic tubing ($1 @ foot) and a leather maker's hole punch...1" long pieces, properly punched to accept screws can hold a 2.5" drive in the old floppy location which is 3.5". Strips of plastic from a milk bottle can work too.

NewEgg and others have a neater solution for $5 to $8 - the 2.5" to 3.5" adapter. I buy these now - especially when I want to mount 2 drives together.

Troubleshooting a "No Post" from Linus can give some structure to troubleshooting. So does this venerable post: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

From your post, I gather that the 3 finger salute did not get to an OS start either.

You can reach BIOS which does list the SSD, "but in the boot options it doesn't say I can have it as a boot device". Makes me want to carefully re-read the motherboard manual about BIOS settings and installing storage.

Also, go back to when it did boot properly...has anything changed since then?

If settings are right and you made no changes and connections are correct and firm, then checking the SSD might be a good first step. I would install it as a secondary drive on another system and run SanDisk Quick Assist.

Back