A third metal monolith appears, this one in California

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! In what sounds like the beginning of an alien invasion movie, a third mysterious monolith has been found, with no clue as to how it got there. The object, located atop a mountain in California, resembles the now removed one in Utah and a similar structure in Romania.

The strange story began when the Utah Department of Public Safety's (DPS) Aero Bureau, working with the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources, noticed “a metal monolith installed in the ground in a remote area of red rock” while counting bighorn sheep.

Internet detectives used Google Maps to show it appeared sometime between August 2015 and October 2016, and while the location wasn’t revealed, it was eventually tracked down by adventurers.

Following the Utah structure’s removal, a similar-looking structure appeared in Romania. Now, a third monolith has appeared on the top of Pine Mountain in the town of Atascadero, on the central California coast.

“The three-sided obelisk appeared to be made of stainless steel, 10-feet tall and 18 inches wide. The object was welded together at each corner, with rivets attaching the side panels to a likely steel frame inside,” the Atascadero News reported.

The paper notes that unlike the Utah original, the California version was not firmly set into the ground and could likely be pushed over.

The removal of the Utah monolith had been a mystery, but since then an adventure tour guide, Sylvan Christensen, and BASE jumper Andy Lewis, aka ‘Sketchy Andy,’ have claimed responsibility. They told the Daily Mail that the pair and two accomplices decided to remove the structure as it attracted tourists who were “destroying” the land around it. The move has seen the men branded as “the Karens of the hiking world” by many on social media.

Permalink to story.

Now that it's gotten public attention there will no doubt be a LOT of imitators out there looking for their 15 minutes of fame ..... personally, I had one made of cardboard years ago but when I stuck it in the burn barrel it just didn't last as long as these metal ones ...... go figure ......

The only fools are those who are currently welding these things up for their moment of fame.
As far as the removal of the Utah one, I fully support it.
If you read the Daily Mail article it states clearly that hordes of people were going there due to the publicity and there are not designated trails, garbage cans or toilet facilities. The article also states that " Their protests were backed up by the Bureau of Land Management, who said the sudden surge in visitation did cause widespread damage to the landscape, including tire tracks, litter, toilet paper and hundreds of new trails."

I hope it will inspire Doom fans to put John Romero's head on a spike somewhere.

In visitors count, I think the hell will break loose.

the sudden surge in visitation did cause widespread damage to the landscape, including tire tracks, litter, toilet paper and hundreds of new trails."
Since the original audience was a bunch of monkeys, I wouldn't expect anything better from it.

Last edited:
First one was probably just "art". Other two are likely just copycat pieces.

But for once, I agree with the "karens". Get that stuff off public lands. The Park Service should have removed it the moment they found it, before they announced its find, and then figured out who to send the bill to.

How could you call It a "monolith" if it's "The object was welded together at each corner, with rivets attaching the side panels to a likely steel frame inside,” These are just 3 pieces of scrap metal.
End of mystery.

Back