Acer tablets coming November 23 starting at $299

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Speaking with the Down Jones Newswire, Acer CEO Gianfranco Lanci revealed a launch date for the company's upcoming tablet PCs. While many manufacturers are waiting for the release of Android 3.0, it seems Acer is pressing onward with its initial batch of slates. According to Lanci, the company plans to launch its first tablet in New York on November 23 -- less than a month away.

The executive also shared pricing information. Acer's offerings will range from $299 to $699, effectively undercutting the starting price of Apple's iPad by $200. The $299 price point is also home to many netbooks, which are already competing for attention with Apple's tablets.

Lanci didn't mention what operating system the devices would run at launch, but Windows 7 or Android 2.2 are the most likely candidates -- even if Google says the latter isn't ready for tablets. Other specs are also up in the air, so we could see a healthy mix of sizes and horsepower.

Permalink to story.

now we all know its good to have competetion in the market, and at the long run its the consumers that benefit the most, though i must say acer's offerings are not as attractive their prices are somewhat acceptable.

i think it's gonna be android 3.0 partly b/c w7 is licensing fee and takes up more resoruce during operation. android should be lighter on the hardware and open source. if i was to make a tablet android would have been my first option for maximum returns.

Once again, with Acer pushing in as well, I really don't see how Samsung expects to sell its Galaxy Tab... Oh well.

And yes @PanicX : It does seem that way doesn't it. Acer's machines seem to suffer from a case of extremely sucky hardware... perhaps thats how they manage to keep prices low. :x

PanicX, how about something like this?
http://www.notionink.in/
Seeing that it's acer, I'd put 10:1 odds on it being a windows machine. The 299 pricing on it is attractive though. Would be willing to give it a try in store.

Thats a really beautiful flash website. But I've got no faith in a start up company based in India that promises big and has no current products or established support history. The whole package screams vaporware to me.

This will be interesting to see. The important factor to many people will be which OS it runs. It will most probably run both android and Windows on the different price points. But, with windows the tablet becomes far more functional and could be considered to be a replacement to a netbook.

The most interesting part will be seeing how capable the tablets which undercut the iPad are. That will be the make or break factor.

I've never been a fan of tablet PC's, the new Windows 7 phone(if that's a tablet PC =/) looks quite nice though.

I havent owned a laptop, ever. And with the popularity of slates, tablets, and ipads, I think I'm glad I didnt. A desktop for all my workstation needs, and a brand new cheap slate/tablet for my mobile needs.

Android and windows in same tablets.....whats in mind on software giant? they just try to experimenting the clients or what?

Its nice to see that there is competition but before we come to any conclusions, we need to know the specs. Walgreen's Tablet also seems quite atractive at only $100. I hope that the Acer Tablet would be of good uality and usable hardware. I like the fact that manufacturers are coming out with Tablets these days which are getting cheaper and cheaper. I can already see steve jobs wetting his pants. I think people would buy more iPads if it had a few common features like a microSD slot, a Camera etc. Especially the microSD slot as this would not limit the user much.

Ehh. I really don't care to edit documents or run major applications (video/ photo editing, etc.) on the go, and a phone seems like it would fit in a pocket much better.

I'll wait to hear specs, and more importantly OS before I really get interested in this. If it's half decently speced and running windows, maybe with pen input in addition to a soft keyboard I would take this over in iPad easily. Other than that, we'll see what they actually bring to the table next month.

Back