Advice on selecting a video card

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am attempting to repair a computer that shows a black screen when booting up.
the screen started to jump around and act erratic before going black.
1. Motherboard -
2. Graphic interface -
3. Memory -
4. CPU -
5. CPU Speed -
6. Power Supply Make/Model -
7. Watt output/Amperage

1. intel d865 glc
2. agp 3.0 8x
3. 512 mb
4 & 5. not available, i received this computer after the screen went blank. if necessary and can be accessed by inspecting the mb, please advise.
6. inwin powerman model iw-p180b2-0
7. +3.3v & +5v & 12v = 169w (max)

i believe the integrated graphics is malfunctioning. i would like to put a video card in the agp. can anyone advise me on purchasing a card? the computer is used for general use, no intensive stuff.
in my search, i keep running into a psu 300w requirement for a card.
this is a students desktop and a low budget is a concern.
thanks for the help in advance

I'd suggest getting a psu for the new card. I think just about everyone else will tell you that too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256032 49.99 with a 15 dollar rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121260

this one is nice with the rebate being a +

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150269

either should do fine for basic computing and some light gaming.

I'd go with the ati card personally, but not sure which you'd prefer.

max consumption for both cards are 140watts. Significantly more than your onboard which is about 50watts. I was more concerned with giving you products that will last you during your agp life.

Expect the cards to idle at 50watts, I think you will be fine with either selection. Although the nvidia card draws less power than the ati card.

Hi,

Why does it have to be AGP? Why not PCI? I think AGP disables the onboard video onceits plugged in but I could be wrong. Just an FYI. Anyways...

i would like to put a video card in the agp. can anyone advise me on purchasing a card? the computer is used for general use, no intensive stuff.
in my search, i keep running into a psu 300w requirement for a card.
this is a students desktop and a low budget is a concern.
thanks for the help in advance

I actually don't recommend a new power supply. If you're not gonna do anything other than general use then I think this card would be fine:

SPARKLE SF8834T128 GeForce FX 5200 128MB 64-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187044
$25.99

Here's why I disagree with a new power supply...

1) I work with 110 W PSU Dells. We upgrade our employees to dual monitors by adding a Jaton-208 PCI card and we never upgrade PSUs. There has never been a problem with this in the 3 years I worked there. We do this on Dell GX150s up to the Dell GX755s. They are the general Dells and we do not order them with special PSUs.

2) This site shows the power draw of some cards when idle, peak 2D and peak 3D: codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000662.html
I would guess that while the FX 5200 is not on that page it would probably pull in 30 WATTs at most on 2D stuff

3) If it turns out for some reason you do need a bigger PSU then you can buy one then. Until then the $30-40 for a PSU is better off not spent since you are on a budget. While you could argue you don't want to go back to the store later I think that if budget is truly a concern then the cost of a PSU is better in your pocket than in an item. Human nature says that if you buy the PSU and then find you don't need it then "likely" you'll not return it. In that case you spent that money. What if later you find you need RAM (Maybe the RAM which is shared with the onboard video is bad so that is what you need -- just a guess/example)? It'd be better to have the money.

4) You said yourself "the computer is used for general use, no intensive stuff." Had you said "I also plan to do some gaming" I would rethink my recommendations and possibly come up with a different solution.

Oh, I looked real quick and here is a link to the Video Troubleshooting for the board you have: support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-022225.htm Maybe try those before buying a video card. Also, are you trying to repair an IBM Aptiva E-Series? If not, what model? And if it is an IBM made PC why not just go to their site and see what was the recommended video card for that model? I've done that for the one off computers we've ordered and it always helps. Rather than trying to guess I just see what Compaq says will work.

Please let me know what you think

Good Luck,

Adrian

P.S. I think PCI cards are used most frequently in troubleshooting but I am actually not sure why I think this.

Hi,

I almost forgot... I am assuming you have a case that accomodates full size cards. If not let us know cause I don't think the Sparkle FX 5200 would fit in that scenario.

Adrian

Although the 5200 is a good card for basic uses, i wanted to send him in a direction where that would be the last card he has to buy for that pc. With that in mind I suggested the psu, which is a good brand. Dell actually has psu's with strong voltages on 12 volt rails. Unlike some other pc companies.

The case is a good question though. The cards I linked would fit in a smaller case, the 5200 isnt that large either.

all under 9.6 inches, which is the boards length.

thanks andrimagnon, i appreciate the help.
the case is 14x16x7" o.d. appox.
the 5200 fits this students budget. she will probably be upgrading to new computer upon graduation.
will the 5200 fit this case? the computer is a built computer, not name brand.

SPARKLE SF8834T128 GeForce FX 5200 128MB 64-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card is installed and i still get a black screen when the machine is powered on.
a cd came with the card, but i assume windows has standard drivers that would let the card work.
i have looked over the board for loose connections/wires and have checked the bios jumper is set to normal.
any suggestions to go forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back