After a BIOS reset I no longer have sound

peorn

ok today i moved my pc with a plane... after i went home and set the pc again on fist try everything was fine but when i restart my bios reset (not sure why) and after that i have no sound i get a little red circle with an x on it on the volume control and the following message "no speakers or headphones are plugged in"

when i look in control panel in sound there is a HDMI but it says its not plugged in

im working under windows 7 ultimate
my motherboard is msis p45 platinum ms - 7512

p.s. i have some knowledge of computers but not to much any help would be greatly apreciated
if there is a similar thread i apologize

See if this might help to start [post=926040]Reference Guide to Help Setup and Troubleshoot Windows Audio and Sound Cards[/post]

thanx for the guide but not good

here is what i know and have tried so far

1) updated onboard sound card drivers
2) updated motherboard drivers
3) updated bios
4) checked the internet for possible fix (none to be found)
5) disabled sound card from win or from bios and re enabled (hoping for detection)
6) after all that i formated and reinstalled windows just in case

my biggest problem is that if i disable the card i get a message that there is no sound card and when i enable it i get the message "no speakers or headphones are plugged in" (that message comes out no matter if there's something in the jack or not)
in the sound options from windows it says the HDMI is not plugged in
when using a logitech web camera in skype the other person is able to hear me (not sure if that's important or not) (skype says i have no sound card)
there are 1 mic and 1 headphones jack on the front of the pc but with windows 7 i was unable to make those 2 jacks work
any help so i can make those work to check if the back jacks are damaged?

is there any way for me to check if my motherboard was damaged in someway?

Edit: just find out that switzerland has a 230 volt while greece has 220 volts possibly the change in the current may have fried the onboard sound chip

if so is there a way to check that out?
thanx in advance

Let's try this

List any Problem Devices
  • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

There are no devices listed in the problem devices in system information

and here is the dxdiag

once again thanx for all the help

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    24.1 KB · Views: 9
Glad to try and help :)

And Hmmm....

One thing odd (i can't explain)
> You say no problem devices listed?
> Is very odd because Dxdiag shows you're missing a boat load of drivers!!

Typically, i'd expect at least some of those devices without drivers to have been reported as Problem Devices. But, regardless, of the odd result, let's assume you're missing at least some basic drivers.

Missing drivers include your chipset drivers (which usually should be installed first). Good news is your audio bus controller is, in fact, being detected (but it's also missing its driver). Your sound card can't be detected until the audio bus controller is working first (which means it needs its driver)

Start with the MSI download site here . Site looks like they can autodetect your hardware and help you download what's needed.

Give a try. If still problems, post back and include another Problem Device and Dxdiag report

i know this is a bit to much to ask but im running on 64bit system and the auto update works only with 32bit systems if you can list some of the boatload of drivers i will find and manually install them

you can also get the driver list by product. I get this set of drivers for P45 Platinum but you should double check this is in fact your board! (is just my guess from a quick search on the site)

I'd first do the Intel 3/4/5 Chipset Drivers then network and audio driver. Then you can post back

/* EDIT */
btw.. What version of BIOS is installed? (just curious)

Ok downloaded and installed

Intel 3/4/5 Chipset Drivers
Realtek PCI-E Ethernet Drivers
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver

in that order im afraid my sound is not working
I run dxdiag again see if there's something different
I still tells me I dont have a sound card

I think this is it BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. V1.0, 21/5/2008

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    32.5 KB · Views: 5
Well, looks better but i guess still no cigar!
> The chipset drivers are now installed
> And now the audio bus controller driver at least gets loaded as well! (which is good)

I'm gonna have to do a bit more digging
1. Did you run Problem Device Report again? Still nothing listed there either??
2. When you said you reset your BIOS, you mean you did a BIOS upgrade? What version BIOS are you running now??
3. Not sure if this will reveal anything, but See [post=939115]How To Report Your Computer's Device Manager Data[/post].Post your dev mgr data as well

will take me a bit (like a day) after i see your response to above,,, but will get back to you when i can

/* EDIT */
btw.. Are you using the onboard Ethernet contoller??? or do you have another device (maybe a USB addon ethernet card attached?) It's not an issue.. just curious based on what i see

I did not reset my bios it reset by it self and just informed me what it went back to the factory settings

my BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. V1.0, 21/5/2008
I found in msi homepage updates v1.1 to v1.6 but I have no idea how to install those
and I still get no problem devices in my pc

right now im using a usb stick for the internet but generally im connected with a cable

Attachments

• devview.txt
    86.1 KB · Views: 2
OK.. Advise you not do/try any BIOS upgrades then (they can be tricky sometimes). I'll see what i can find.. and get back to you

/* edit */
Tho btw i forgot, did you try the disable/enable trick in the BIOS yet for Onboard Audio?? As it may not have worked last time because your audio controller driver wasn't installed yet! Try it again

(trying not to get overexited) it WORKED i went in the bios the onboard sound card was disabled now i enabled it and i have sound again (i did this before also but i guess the drivers made the diference)

you have a million thanx and a few more from me

youpi i have sound again

(trying not to get overexited) I too am really glad to the hear the good news and it works! :grinthumb

Happy Computing!

Back