Aftermarket cooler for AMD FX-4100?

Vollezar

I am overclocking my chip to 4.6Ghz, for now. During the winter it was fine to use just the stock fan as I was pumping air in from outside (https://www.techspot.com/gallery/member-galleries/p4563-industrial-size-cooling.html). Now it's starting to warm up outside and my temps starting to reach unsafe levels with stock fan.
I tried to find something on the web, Every cooling review I found is done on Intel chips and that's not good enough for me. Does anyone use the same as I with aftermarket cooler? What would you recommend?
Thanks.

My board is Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 if that matters to you.

A visit to a computer parts store so you can actually see and measure the possible coolers.

Well, the stock FX-4100 heat sink and fan combo is very basic. It's just a chunk of aluminum with fins and a small fan screwed to the top. Pretty much anything else with a heat pipe or two would be better. Your CPU is rated at ninety-five watts, and AMD watts are the same as Intel watts until proven otherwise, but I'd get a heat sink & fan combo that can handle more than that.

What you actually get depends on how much you want to spend and how much room you have in your case.

I'd get a nice heat sink and fan combo that has at least four heat pipes and fits an AM3 motherboard and works well with an older Intel four core CPU or better. An older Intel CPU would use more than just ninety-five watts.

Back