Freezes after BSOD

HelpfulNewbie

Hello and well met.

Three days ago I hit 3 freezes that took power to USB mouse and keyboard and demanded forced shutdowns and then the next day encountered a BSOD from using Chrome browser that a month ago stopped supporting Windows 7, on my stationary PC from 2010.

Intel Core i7-860 4x2,80GHz
Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3
1Tb hdd sata
4 sticks of 2 GB DDR 3
Scythe Kama Kross silent cool
DVD Drive
Windows 7 64
GTX 1060 6 GB from 2021
Changed to a 4k monitor in December 2021.
Corsair Bronze 650W modular power supply from 2022 (this wasn't compatible with fan cables other than main cooler - have been running without 1 fan that was running previously). No newer hardware than that.

BSOD was: A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
The system encountered and uncorrectable hardware error.
Stop 0x00000124.
Was told by a friend this is related to PCI slots (using MB/CPU/GFX)

It keeps freezing and while there have been no further BSOD´s, and just now had Windows working fine for 3 hours before another freeze, there has earlier several times been difficulties booting in 2-25 restarting circles of 2,5 seconds.
I have tried:
Cleaned the tower - not sure if the motherboard or the CPU themselves could be lacking air or how to clean this - I noticed the mb/CPU-side of the tower on the outside was giving off some heat most of the times there was a freeze.
Took all the ram blocks out and cleaned them and slots.
Took all cables out and back in.
Tried the with each ram block removed one at a time.
Updated virus definitions and ran antivirus and did the same with Spybot, no results.
Backed-up recent files.
CMOS/BIOS battery reset - took a while to boot and for signal to monitor to return after this.
Tried with an old graphics RTX 275 with alt monitor during this (not compatible with current monitor).
Looked over electrolytic capacitors on mb - they don't seem to have residue or be bent on top.

I have no restore points to try reloading and no windows CD/boot flash drive/CD.

I am completely stumped, thus this post. Please help.

After reinserting the final ramblock, that I suspected as one of the culprits for the freezes, I had a lot of trouble booting. Finally I got a new BSOD:

View attachment 304410

Unsure what this means.

Will try to remove that ram block again and monitor temperature of CPU and Motherboard.

Can't get access to Windows anymore after the new BSOD.
Sometimes I get into Windows autorepair before it crashes, but eventually it seems to crash with 10-180 seconds.

Could likely get brief access to Bios, if that helps?

Test your memory and boot drive. Almost certainly a hardware issue. Memtest86+ is free. Run it at least 6-8 hours. Ideally 12-24. If you get any errors, replace your ram.

Memtest is bootable, it isn't run from within Windows. If the PC isn't even stable enough to stay powered on within the bios/outside Windows, it could be a power supply issue.

"Corsair Bronze 650W modular power supply from 2022 (this wasn't compatible with fan cables other than main cooler - have been running without 1 fan that was running previously). No newer hardware than that."
Just a guess but the new psu may not be suitable. It's a powerful system and you say that you have had to lose a cooling fan because of the replacement psu. Try to run it with the side off and and a cooling fan nearby to see if anything changes.

"Corsair Bronze 650W modular power supply from 2022 (this wasn't compatible with fan cables other than main cooler - have been running without 1 fan that was running previously). No newer hardware than that."
Just a guess but the new psu may not be suitable. It's a powerful system and you say that you have had to lose a cooling fan because of the replacement psu. Try to run it with the side off and and a cooling fan nearby to see if anything changes.
I think you could be right that something is wrong with the power supply.
It did work for a year though.
I simply can´t get it to boot now though, so for now there is no option to run memtest.

It's likely that pushing the system has resulted in the failure of some major component/s. This sounds like a good time to buy a new computer. If you have another PC try fitting your hard drive as external storage and see if it still functions. You could then make decisions on what to do about your old computer.

That seems likely. It keeps freezing even in the boot menu.

I don´t know if it´s safe or makes sense to salvage both the GFX and PSU for a new mid-range system, where I could potentially upgrade the GFX at some point in the future.

Also I haven´t kept up on the hardware developments for stationary PCs for a while and I of course want to avoid making errors like picking up components that will create bottlenecks.

The need for speed comes at the price of excessive heat so whatever you do make sure that the system is able to maintain a sustainable temperature. More fans will create more noise so it's all a matter of compromises.

Back