Aion: The Tower of Eternity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zachariah

As a WoW player I have to say this game looks freaking awesome. The graphics alone far surpasses WoW and the PvP system looks really promising. I also like how they only have 6 classes oppose to WoW's 13 classes which IMO is one of the problems with the game. When you have too many classes trying to do one job you run into problems with trying to balance them like with the recent changes to DK tanks and block. I'm not in the beta or in one of the countries it's released in so I can't really comment on the game play, is anyone here playing it and can comment?

I've been playing it for a couple of months now and let me tell you it really is pretty awesome. For some reason I've been thinking there are more than 6 classes, but I'm too lazy to really confirm this. I'm currently a level 19 Templar playing on North China servers and the latency isn't too bad at all considering it's the other side of the world. It's much slower leveling than WoW (I played that since release) and is very solo oriented until lvl 30 from what I hear. I've only partied a couple of times and I think it was just a couple of bored Chinese players practicing their English. They were really nice though and immediately knew I was American (probably because they couldn't read my character name.) It's based on a Crytek engine but runs incredibly well. I sit around 100 fps at 1920x1200 2xAA on my setup, but I don't get anywhere near that kind of performance in Crysis. I currently have one of the Chinese child accounts so I'm not allowed to play for more than 3 hours at a time, but I've only hit that max twice in the last 2 months. It was kind of the reason I stopped playing WoW - I was never on anymore. If you're a fan of WoW, FF XI, and or Everquest then I think you'll like this. It's a bit of a mash-up of the three.

There are chain attacks in the game, the graphics are much better than WoW, and you lose XP for dying. Money is really important in this game... much more important than in WoW. Crafting is a second job and takes lots of time. Unfortunately, the economy is nothing close to FF XI's economy. That was the best one I've ever seen followed by WoW's economy. I may post some screenshots if I remember and get some time to take some.

Go back to WoW, Aion doesnt need you, lol.

i have a lvl 47 Gladiator on chinese retail, I'll be moving to NA in september. Personally I think the game and wow shouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence. WoW's pvp is a joke comparatively speaking, and so is the lvling process.

Anyway, good day to you both.

Well, that also compares to games like Warhammer. The graphics are better than WoWs, but it still isn't played nearly as much as WoW.

I am excited about Aion, but I am afraid that, since the developer is the same that made Guild Wars, It will fall short of expectations.

For those that are playing what is the pvp system like? I was also thinking about making a sorceror was are they like?

And brada I know what you mean when you say WoW pvp is broken. I run lock/priest for 2s and we just get smashed by dks and retadins.

Only problem I have with Aion is the RVR idea, same with warhammer, which is why i shut down my lvl 40 BW, but any who, since I've been playing Lineage2 since 04 I'm a fan of ncsoft. When its brought to NA there will be balancing issues no question, the sorcs are OP, at lvl 30 doing 3k dmg for their most powerful skills when at that lvl most people have about 3.5k or less, unless you're a glad or templar. Imagine the pvp in w/e game you play, now imagine that pvpx10 the amount of people but the sky looks like a hornets nets, Its something to see most definately. I hope your pc's can handle the cryengine though. You could play the game on lowest detail and it still looks better than games like WoW, War, and some other games still being played on full detail.

Overall the gameplay is great, the grind is hard until 40 or so, max lvl is 50 upon release(you may be one of the ones to cry if you're use to WoW's lvling system) and pvp is great. If you're looking for the next great pvp game, this may be it.

Linked-1.jpg

a picture of my toon a month ago, account is inactive atm so i cant take a more current one.

Don't judge WoW by its graphics Zach =D, the game is from 04. If I'm not mistaken there is 8 classes a good number imo. But ya nice to see some people here playing the game =D. I haven't had the chance to play it yet but really would like to. I enjoy Korean MMO's mainly for there PvP (WoW has such terrible PvP =(, but the rest is good), its just always made the game feel really epic. The game does look intense and demanding thou which makes me wonder if it'll catch on.

Besides the massive feel to the PvP. How is it overall? I'm assuming its not balanced in small battles well since its still new, but overall is it pretty sweet?

In small scale pvp it is pretty balanced, considered the game is still early in its first release. The only thing I see changing is a nerf to sorcs, and some added skills for the chanter class. Im pretty sure it will catch on, there are already 400k people playing the closed betas right now, well that's registered accounts and you have to preorder to do so. I dont think that number is bad considering it wont be released until september 23.

In small scale pvp it is pretty balanced, considered the game is still early in its first release. The only thing I see changing is a nerf to sorcs, and some added skills for the chanter class. Im pretty sure it will catch on, there are already 400k people playing the closed betas right now, well that's registered accounts and you have to preorder to do so. I dont think that number is bad considering it wont be released until september 23.

Sounds promising indeed =D, I am really looking for a new MMO to move to besides the new Star Wars which looks so awesome. But I will have to upgrade my system first to something more competitive.

Woah, nice screenie. Looks cool. I'll look into getting the game when it releases. Any idea on how much a subscription is going to cost?

Divine Power, you may think oh divine=good and the class you see up top is Asmodian, kind of dark and gloomy, but there is no good and bad side in the game, as far as the lore goes....anywho...

Basically the bar goes up and you hunt mobs and kill people, it unleashes your most powerful atk, resulting in a lot of dmg to what npc/pc you inflict it on, the DP I have does a lot of dmg and then knocks down the opponent at the end of the skill.

How would you guys rate the PvP system? I think I read somewhere that casters have a delay after they cast a spell during which they can't move, is it true?

no, you cant move during casting, but that's concurrent with all mmo's, unless its an instant cast spell.

I didn't mean movement during casting but right afterwards. I read somewhere (forgot exactly where) that spellcasters can't move right after finishing a spell.

i have never played games like WOW.
I dont like paying money after i have actualy bought the game... and im kinda scared of getting addicted :haha:

They look fun though (i think)

If you've never played an MMO I would recommend against trying them. It's a huge time sink and you'll find yourself wishing you had never started in the first place. You will most likely get addicted as it is huge amounts of fun, but you will have to give up other things to get your playtime in - probably sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back