All my games crash constantly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, geez, where to start.

So I got this new PC, it's very nice but I am at my wits end!!

It started off, all games ran fine, until I got Far Cry 2. FC2 would not even CTD but just instant reboot out of nowhere after 10-30 mins of gameplay. I tried the hotfixes provided by ATI specifically for FC2 with no joy.

After this COD5 started to do the same, so did EVE. I got Red Alert 3, which has now started to crash to desktop after 5 mins of gameplay. I play Fallout 3 and it was running fine, until today where it's started doing the same thing. Sometimes it just CTDs sometimes it instant reboots out of nowhere like the others. Occasionally the screen will go black for a few seconds and give me some crap about my display drivers.

I've done everything, rolled back drivers from Catalyst 9.1 all the way through back to 8.6, updated my BIOS, reinstalled my mobo drivers, my audio drivers, installed "whocrashed" (to which it tells me there are no dump files) and I am 1 step away from taking a sledgehammer to my PC.

I have removed the overclock settings, tried installing the drivers with no CCC, I've tried under clocking my hardware and still nothing. Each time I remove my drivers I use a driver cleaner just to make sure it's all clean before I reboot and reinstall.

I've tried switching off Windows Aero, doing a multitude of supposed "fixes" that I found around the internet (too many to remember let alone list).

I did a memory test at the start of vista and it tells me there are memory issues, though does not elaborate and tells me to "contact the manufacturer".

All components are new and this is a custom built PC. My specs are as follows:

CPU Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 (overclocked till 4 GHz) 12MB cache RAM
Gigabyte GA -X48T-DQ6 Mother Board With DDR3 - 1333 Support.
Patriot Viper DDR3 4GBs (2X2) DDR2-1600MHz DHX XMS2 RAM with enabled dual channel (at 1413 MHz)
Graphics Card Sapphire Radeon HD4870 X2 2GBs GDDR5 RAM
Overclocked by software on GPU 800MHz on RAM 1000MHz
320GB SATA2 HD
OCZ Vendetta High Performance CPU Cooler
Vortex RAM Cooling system
6 standard fans
Epsilon PSU - 1010W
Thermaltake Mozart Tx casing

It's definitely not overheating as with all settings on max on my games my GPU levels out at about 65 degrees, that's if I only have the fans on 50%, at 100% they only reach 55 degrees. My CPUs level out at about 55-60 as well.

PLEASE help me, I really don't know what to do anymore!

You did a lot of solid diagnostic testing. The thing that stands out is the reported memory issues because if there is one headache that can cause all kinds of problems it is memory problems.

Have you run memtest? I apologize ahead of time if you know how to, but if not...

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS) The test will take over.

4. Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

5. If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

6. Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* Let us know your results.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I am currently at work at the moment so I will do this when I get home.

Thanks again, results to follow!

Update: There's no 64bit compatible memtest (sorry I should have mentioned I'm using Vista Ultimate 64bit).

This doesn't matter. Just burn the latest ISO offering to a CD and run. This test engages almost immediately after you boot up and well before you get to the Windows load screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back