Alleged Silk Road mastermind maintains innocence but says confiscated Bitcoins are his

Shawn Knight

TechSpot Staff
Staff member
Ross Ulbricht, the 29-year-old alleged mastermind behind the online drug marketplace Silk Road, still maintains his innocence. But those 173,000 Bitcoins the FBI confiscated as assets believed to have been used to facilitate money laundering and six failed murder-for-hire attempts…...

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/55130-alleged-silk-road-mastermind-maintains-innocence-but-says-confiscated-bitcoins-are-his.html"]Read more[/newwindow]

SirGCal

TS Maniac
It really doesn't matter. He was a known contributor to the very obvious 'bad' site. He should rot, but that's just my opinion. I don't agree with the FBI overlord type of control, but I also don't agree with obvious law bypasses to help facilitate murder or drug use. In this case, IMHO, he can rot.

Reactions: spectrenad

SirGCal

TS Maniac
Basically you want to pay with taxes for his rotting.
How do I pay taxes for someone NOT getting their fake $ back from the FBI? Other then paying the basic FBI paycheck, how in the heck am I paying taxes for that?

G

Because you're paying in taxes for the jail he sits in, for the food he eats, and for the luxuries he maintains while locked up in "prison".

G

But cliff you and I both know that won't happen. They'll either sit in an evidence locker or "disappear" bit by bit

SirGCal

TS Maniac
Because you're paying in taxes for the jail he sits in, for the food he eats, and for the luxuries he maintains while locked up in "prison".
The point is simple; that is irreverent of the point of the discussion. He's in jail plain and simple. Returning this currency to him doesn't change the tax we pay. And his arguments most likely won't stand anyhow as other items have been confiscated in the past as mentioned in the topic successfully. The whole point of this topic is his bitcoins and if he deserves them, not what we spend on keeping the criminal in jail.

Reactions: cliffordcooley
G

I think we have just seen proof that too many drugs will make you DILLUSIONAL.

ikesmasher

TS Evangelist
Something else I just realized...the constitution of the US guarantees the rights of life, liberty and property-when you commit crimes, you acknowledge the possibility to lose those rights.

Reactions: cliffordcooley