Almost 9 out of 10 parents think their kids spend too much time gaming, but 70% believe...

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: Do you think that your teenager spends too much time playing video games? You’re not alone. A new report shows that 86 percent of parents say their kids play games an excessive amount, but three-quarters believe gaming has a positive impact on their children.

The data comes from the University of Michigan's C.S. Mott Children's Hospital National Poll on Children’s health. It surveyed almost 1,000 parents with at least one child aged between 13 and 18.

While more girls are into gaming than ever before, it seems teenage boys spend more time in front of the screen. The poll showed 41 percent of teen boys played games every day, while the figure falls to 20 percent for adolescent girls.

More than half of the parents whose children played games daily said their child spent at least three hours gaming each day, though 78 percent of these felt it was about the same amount of time as other teens.

"Although many parents believe video games can be good for teens, they also report a number of negative impacts of prolonged gaming," says Mott Poll co-director and pediatrician Dr. Gary Freed.

Some of the negative impacts parents believed were caused by gaming include interfering with family activities (46 percent), affecting sleep (44 percent), cutting down on homework (34 percent), stopping teens spending time with non-gaming peers (33 percent), and extracurricular activities (31 percent). Additionally, 42 percent of parents said gaming negatively affects their teens’ mood.

Some parents (44 percent) try to restrict what games their children play. Methods include using age ratings to ensure the titles are appropriate, encouraging real-world play with friends, and not allowing gaming in their teen’s bedroom.

While most of the report sounds like mothers and fathers want their children to cut down on gaming time, 70 percent of parents said they believe video games can have positive impacts on teens, though they didn’t say what these were. We know that other studies have shown playing games can improve educational skills and help create friendships.

Dr. Freed did warn that some teens, such as those with attention issues, may be susceptible to the constant positive feedback and the stimulus of video games, which could lead to gaming interfering with other areas of their lives.

'Parents can play an important role by setting clear rules about appropriate content and how much time is too much time spent on video games,' Dr. Freed said

'While many parents see benefits in gaming, the activity should not be at the expense of face-to-face time with family, friends, and teachers who play a pivotal role in promoting a teen's learning and healthy development.'

Permalink to story.

The difference seems to me to be the difference between "gaming & prolonged gaming" ..... like anything else, too much of a good thing can have negative effects and those effects are different from kid to another. The key appears to be for the parents to measure this and then establish limits. The other is to create a positive motivation practice where "little Johnny gets 20-30 minutes of gaming for each daily chore he fulfills and if he does it automatically without being ask, he gets the greater amount of time. Pavlov would be proud of this application!

Almost all "parenting" comes down to TIME.... we blame so many parents for being "bad" when it simply means they just don't have time (or make time) for their kids. And when you leave them to their own devices, kids get into bad habits.

Hey parents - SPEND TIME WITH YOUR KIDS!

Almost all "parenting" comes down to TIME.... we blame so many parents for being "bad" when it simply means they just don't have time (or make time) for their kids. And when you leave them to their own devices, kids get into bad habits.

true that bro, gave my 3 year old daughter my tablet and she already got absorbed, half an hour later I want to break her out of that and she just told me to keep playing on my computer and leave her alone ;))

I know this is dragging politics into it, but this really just shows out of touch Biden was with his statements yesterday (game devs are just teaching kids how to kill). 70% of parents think games have a positive impact and he's out here pretending they're the devil. That's not gonna get you votes man.

More than half of the parents whose children played games daily said their child spent at least three hours gaming each day

I sometimes spend over 10 hours in the weekend and I still can’t get out of silver 4 in CSGO (or finish editing a video I planned to upload that day)

Tell my employer and the traffic. I'd probably have plenty of time to stare at the sky every night with the kid if I had a 2 hour job at home that pays as much as my 9-10 hour plus 2 hours back and forth in the massive jam. Money buys you time, it depends on money.

Tell my employer and the traffic. I'd probably have plenty of time to stare at the sky every night with the kid if I had a 2 hour job at home that pays as much as my 9-10 hour plus 2 hours back and forth in the massive jam. Money buys you time, it depends on money.
Again... not saying it's easy... but you had kids - that was the easy part - now you are obligated to actually raise them! School will only do so much - and screens are no substitute for quality time.

Today's life seems so difficult - commuting sucks, most families need dual-incomes so one parent can't just stay home with the children... BUT.... they are YOUR kids - find the time to parent them properly or risk having monsters taking care of you in your old age!

true that bro, gave my 3 year old daughter my tablet and she already got absorbed, half an hour later I want to break her out of that and she just told me to keep playing on my computer and leave her alone ;))

Be the example for her to follow and not be on the computer (so much?). Kids learn from and mimic their parents. They are very impressionable.

This is a curious study. If 9 out of 10 think their kids play too much, then 9 out of 10 are letting their kids play too much. It's the parent's responsibility to manage their kids' lives. Where responsibility ends is when they leave the house. I believe the study should have been "Do you play games in front of your kids too much?"

I know this is dragging politics into it, but this really just shows out of touch Biden was with his statements yesterday (game devs are just teaching kids how to kill). 70% of parents think games have a positive impact and he's out here pretending they're the devil. That's not gonna get you votes man.
Well, a closer read of the article and the source of the article says that Biden was not happy with a couple of entitled and very rich developer brats that outright said that to him. He did, however, follow up with a statement along the lines of "there are good people in Silicon Valley". Maybe it would have helped if @midian182 had made that clearer.

Be the example for her to follow and not be on the computer (so much?). Kids learn from and mimic their parents. They are very impressionable.

This is a curious study. If 9 out of 10 think their kids play too much, then 9 out of 10 are letting their kids play too much. It's the parent's responsibility to manage their kids' lives. Where responsibility ends is when they leave the house. I believe the study should have been "Do you play games in front of your kids too much?"

Weird that my father drink and smoke alot but I took none of that, since I like gaming more, my daughter better appriate her gaming addicted dad ^^.

And this is why you shouldn’t have kids if you‘re not economically stable or don’t have enough free time

Exactly!

IMO, drawing the line at "moderation" might be tricky for some parents as there is likely a fuzzy boundary between moderation and addicted.

But but...smoking and cocain are not fine even in moderation ;). For me the most time sucking are those MMO games, as long as your kids stick to single player games they are fine, they may binge play a game for a week and it's over.

But but...smoking and cocain are not fine even in moderation ;). For me the most time sucking are those MMO games, as long as your kids stick to single player games they are fine, they may binge play a game for a week and it's over.
Sounds like you are very fortunate if your children have not gotten into anything harder than video games.

"70 percent of parents said they believe video games can have positive impacts on teens, though they didn’t say what these were."

Seems like a doctored survey to me...! The parents can identify all kinds of negative aspects of playing too much games on their teens, But they cannot identify a single positive one..!!!???

"70 percent of parents said they believe video games can have positive impacts on teens, though they didn’t say what these were."

Seems like a doctored survey to me...! The parents can identify all kinds of negative aspects of playing too much games on their teens, But they cannot identify a single positive one..!!!???

All surveys are doctored, it's unavoidable.

You can ask 2 very similar questions about the same topic but just word them differently, emphasizing or using different words, and get very different outcomes. In other words (lol) you can manipulate your responders and thus their answers to get the outcome you want just by altering the questions slightly.

This research must be a propaganda lie. Who ordered it, Steam?

Or maybe it's a typo. Did you mean "...but 7% believe it has a positive impact". Yeah, just a typo. Fix the headline.

Make your kid follow a schedule, and have top notch discipline... He will thank you when he gets older.
The problem with these addictions is that they steal the finite energy we got though out the day/week/month, and are also gradually becoming less fun but more prone to addiction related habits.

Of course the kid wont play piano lessons when fortnite is more fun and much longer to enjoy, than that half a hour of practice.
Tell your kid that fun does not equal quantity but the value of the moment; 2 hours can feel like 4 if they are cherished.
Take care of your kid, stop letting him being on a pursuit of a gate less gate he will never escape from on its own, but much - much more later in life.
Kids these days play way more aggressive games than some adults can take, yet the parents say it is normal.

Back