Amazon brings cash payment option to the US

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: Amazon is clearly hoping to reach customers that typically prefer to shop at local brick-and-mortar stores or those who don’t have bank accounts for whatever reason. Some of these same customers, however, may also not have a photo ID which is required by Western Union to pay for your order.

Amazon shoppers in the US can now place an order and pay for their purchase with cash, giving buyers even more options at checkout.

When checking out with Amazon PayCode, you’ll receive a QR code and a number. Simply take these to one of 15,000 Western Union locations across the country within 24 hours of placing your order and you’ll be able to pay for your purchase in cash. The service, which is already offered in 19 countries around the globe, incurs no additional fee.

In the event of a return, customers will be able to pick up a cash refund at Western Union once Amazon has received the item back.

Ben Volk, director of payments at Amazon, said customers have told them they love the convenience of paying in cash. While that may be true in some circumstances, it’s hard to see how online purchases fall into that category. If anything, it’s adding more friction to the buying process for the vast majority of shoppers.

Masthead credit: cash payment by Africa Studio

Permalink to story.

The rigmarole attached to both paying and returning an item, as in, "you can pick up your cash refund at a Western Union office", is beyond stupid. Do any of you you live anywhere near a Western Union office? Let me see a show of hands.. :rolleyes:

Marco Polo probably didn't have to put up with sh!t like this when he was out on the Silk Road.

(No, not the internet "silk road" silly, the real one, towards China. Those were the good old days, "BTT", (Before Trump's tariffs)).

This is not replacing anything so no return to the dark ages for hunt around for a Western Union if you do not know where is located.

This is not targeted at most of the current customer base. Amazon is targeting the unbanked most of which are not going to have access to an easier way of doing things and live in places where shopping options are low and/or prices are high.

As far as Western Unions go there are more of them then you think. While there are few stand alone to be found you will see a lot of business will have a stand in them so they are fairly common if you start looking for them. Also most people dealing in cash are going to know where the closest one is located.

This is Amazon looking around for a group of people not using the site and finding a way to make it easier for them to do so. As long as the cost of offering this method payment does not cost more than the profit Amazon gets from the new customers there is no down side for Amazon.

This is not replacing anything so no return to the dark ages for hunt around for a Western Union if you do not know where is located.

As far as Western Unions go there are more of them then you think. While there are few stand alone to be found you will see a lot of business will have a stand in them so they are fairly common if you start looking for them. Also most people dealing in cash are going to know where the closest one is located..
There are about 15,000 Western Union locations in the US. As a comparison, there are more than 68,000 7/11 stores.

This is Amazon looking around for a group of people not using the site and finding a way to make it easier for them to do so. As long as the cost of offering this method payment does not cost more than the profit Amazon gets from the new customers there is no down side for Amazon.
Well, either that or the greediest, possibly the most money makingest human of all time, Jeff Bezos, will raise prices on everything else to cover any losses.

So, how about if we compromise and call this, a left handed favor", at best.

Or maybe, "Survivor: Amazon Shopping Edition". :rolleyes: :laughing:

Last edited:
I pay cash for stuff as much as possible. I like it because much of the crap I buy isn't available in local brick and mortars. I can, of course, drive 30 miles into the city.

I like this because it represents a step back from the bane and curse of the cashless society and many many somebodies tracking everything you see or do or buy or even inquire about. I prefer my privacy invaded by one company at a time. Now the cred card trackers are eliminated too. (did you know Amazon works with all Alphabet web IPs blocked? even doubleclick?) Some US Government web sites don't.

Amazon already allows returns through Kohls. Hopefully this becomes a movement and Amazon designates more pay spots, maybe UPS in Staples.

I like this because it represents a step back from the bane and curse of the cashless society and many many somebodies tracking everything you see or do or buy or even inquire about. I prefer my privacy invaded by one company at a time. Now the cred card trackers are eliminated too. (did you know Amazon works with all Alphabet web IPs blocked? even doubleclick?) Some US Government web sites don't.
I run "NoScript" in my Firefox. It tells me it's blocking these scripts:

amazon-adsystem.com
…amazonpay.com
…doubleverify.com
…media-amazon.com
…moatads.com
…openx.net
…ssl-images-amazon.com

IMHO, Amazon doesn't need to allow "doubleclickl", they have plenty of trackers of their own.

If you think about it, doubleclick would share the information it culls from your Amazon visits, and then sell it to other etailers.

So, a pretty fair question is, who benefits more from their blocks, you or Amazon?

Let's face it, if you do buy something from Amazon, you can expect an email from them, saying something to the effect of, "OK, it's great you bought that, now why don't you buy this, (or "these") too.

As far as the credit card companies tracking purchases on their cards, why would any body in their right mind object to that? I've lost cards and had people use them up to their limit. Thank god those cards and purchases were tracked, or else I'd be left holding the bill. My primary bank's, algorithm picked up purchases made well outside of my normal buying patterns, shut down the card and called me.

I think Amazon already does returns via UPS. At least ,they did so for me.

The nearest UPS store to me, is inside the Philadelphia International Airport. However, their main air hub terminal is behind the airport. They have strange and limited hours in which they accept incoming parcel shipments. (6 PM to 9 PM Monday. to Friday). It's about 15 miles round trip for me, but a fun ride nonetheless.

Amazon already allows returns through Kohls. Hopefully this becomes a movement and Amazon designates more pay spots, maybe UPS in Staples.
Because after all, you can never have too many ways to spend your money at Amazon.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I believe I mentioned Kohls and 7-11 was brought up by someone else. How far are you from a 7-11? or if it expands and brick and mortars figure out they can make a few extra bucks delivering, how far are you from a mall?

Apparently you think the credit card companies are the only ones that track your credit card use. Pay your medical bills with one? Buy a gun, or any weapon for that matter? Travel to a different gas station...in another state? The list is pretty much endless and you're owned and followed better than a medieval indentured servant.

And you've pretty much made my point. You make mistakes and you expect to have the services available to correct your mistake, notably, because it's convenient to you. I don't find it convenient. I find it oppressing and welcome any chance at all to get myself and the American buying public out of the coffers of the banks (the credit card tax of 2.5%), google (doubleclick), et al. I may get robbed of my cash and not get it back from a credit card company, but it's considerably more difficult to get more cash out of me than what I'm carrying. Not the same for you and your credit card.

No one says you have to actually go out of your way to pickup, pay and deliver returns. It's your choice and your briar patch. Up until now though, no one let me have the choice. I'm glad to get it and hope it expands exponentially. Let those who want to be owned, adverted, and exploited for their convenience have the services.

Back