Amazon now offers same-day delivery service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Amazon has introduced a new same-day delivery service for customers in select cities and areas. The e-commerce company will offer their new "Local Express Delivery" option to customers in Baltimore, Boston, Las Vegas, New York, Philadelphia, Seattle and Washington, as well as some surrounding areas. It will expand to Chicago, Indianapolis, and Phoenix in the coming months.

Naturally, this comes at a cost. Amazon Prime members (those who pay $79 per year to receive unlimited two-day shipping), will have to pay $5.99 per item for the service. Regular old non-Prime customers can expect to pay $15 or more, and can view a full rate chart here. Along with the additional expense, all customers must place their orders by a defined cutoff time, which ranges from 10AM to 1PM depending on the city -- regardless of membership status.

Amazon has also expanded its Saturday Delivery options, which means that items ordered with two-day shipping before the cutoff time Thursday will be delivered on Saturday instead of Monday. This is an extension of the standard two-day option, making it free for Prime members, and the usual price for everyone else. Saturday Delivery is also available for orders placed before the cutoff on Fridays at a cost of $6.99 per item for Prime members, and other customers will have to pay $3 on top of standard overnight shipping rates.

Permalink to story.

How is it a rip-off? Prices are the same if you choose to use the same old service. The added charge is for faster delivery. Amazon shipping rates have always been and still are lower than many other online stores.

I agree . . . where is the "ripoff". The rates are clearly posted along with the terms. If you want something the same day you pay a very reasonable $5.99 if you're a PRIME member and $15 if you're not. Who else delivers the SAME day and for such rates? Not very many places and not at these rates at all. If you don't want the deal don't same day order. Plus they now deliver on Saturday. Just where are you being cheated out of something?

Amazon needs to learn from newegg. if I order from amazon I can wait 1-2 weeks. Newegg I can expect my package 2 days later. That's why I don't order from amazon to much because of the unreliable slow shipping times.. Plus there website needs a overhaul....make it like neweggs website...can you tell I really like newegg?

Windmill007 is right and I like Newegg as well. I think folks need to realize though that items coming from Amazon are either stocked "BY" Amazon and therefore readily available for fast shipping - OR - then can be Amazon Merchant items, meaning they come from third party sources and not directly from Amazon. Those are the ones that can indeed take longer to receive items from for sure.

Its single day shipping, you want it you better ante up. 200 years ago a messenger would have just laughed at you for asking the item to get there in less than a week.

Just having the option is saying enough of Amazon's capabilities. I agree Newegg is generally better for ordering PC hardware, but Amazon does a pretty decent job of sharing its technology with third parties to offer an online megastore unlike any other.

That said, like DarkCobra pointed out, it's important to be aware of the differences between buying directly from Amazon's stock and from their merchant partners.

I disagree. Amazon actually has great customer service. We are prime members, and when i recently needed to ship something next day, I only paid 3.99; in other words, they deducted the two -day charge from the next day cost. Would the airlines do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back