Amazon original series to chronicle the life and times of Playboy creator Hugh Hefner

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Original content has proven wildly successful for streaming outfits like Amazon, Hulu and Netflix (they’ve got the awards to prove it). Shows like House of Cards, Transparent, Bojack Horseman, Orange is the New Black, Stranger Things, The Man in the High Castle and The Grand Tour wouldn’t exist if it weren’t for the efforts of these companies.

It’s no surprise, then, that we’re seeing investments in exclusive, original content continue to ramp up. The latest example comes from Amazon in the form of a 13-episode documentary-style series on the life of iconic Playboy founder Hugh Hefner.

American Playboy: The Hugh Hefner Story will partially be sourced from more than 17,000 hours of footage and more than 2,600 scrapbooks from Hefner’s personal collection. It’ll be produced by Stephen David Entertainment and Alta Loma Entertainment.

The series will begin post-WWII when Hefner started his business in 1953 and cover the next six decades of his high-profile life and career. Hefner, now 90 years old, has been heavily involved in the development and production of the series which will be told in his own words.

Hefner said in an Amazon press release that it has been a long road in finding the right partners to tell the full story of Playboy as it has unfolded over the past 63 years, adding that he is pleased that the docuseries will shed light on what has been an incredible journey and the voice Playboy has had in the discussion of our ever-changing culture.

What’s more, Hefner said he hopes the story will inspire others to pursue their dreams.

The docuseries will be released next year in the US, the UK, Austria, Germany and Japan exclusively via Amazon Prime Video.

Image courtesy s_bukley, Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

Rankings, from left to right:

[10], [8], [Hef], [8.3]

Amazon series: awaiting review copy. Will update after blackout expires.

Rankings, from left to right:

[10], [8], [Hef], [8.3]

Amazon series: awaiting review copy. Will update after blackout expires.

I would give all the girls a 9 no such thing as a 10 which would be perfect :)

Secondly most of us couldn't afford women like that. Which is fine for me I don't need some chick draining my bank account!

I would give all the girls a 9 no such thing as a 10 which would be perfect :)

I don't use 10 as a unit of perfection. Rather, the 99th percentile.

Secondly most of us couldn't afford women like that. Which is fine for me I don't need some chick draining my bank account!

Quite a few 9s & 10s that don't have to be mortgaged. Any chick that requires financing should be dropped faster than a QE interest rate.

Pathetic...man never really was happy. Always searching. Drugs, booze, bimbos.
Some might call that a life, but, it isn't.

Back