AMD 1700+ safe OC speed ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnugen

I've been messing around with and upgrading my PCs for a while now and have working knowledge in that area. Overclocking has always been something I've stayed away from as the "techie" part of PCs is really not my strongpoint. Can someone tell me what the safest speed my Atlon XP1700+ can be set at?? Default is 133. I can set my CMOS to anything up to 200. I don't want to fry my chip as I can't replace it right now as I've just UG my mobo, vid card and ram. Any opinions and help are appreciated.

V

Do you even know what this "133" and "200" are? They are the FSB, the front side bus.

Read this:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9388

There is no "safe OC speed".. it depends on the cpu, the temp. of your room, and the cooling solution you have for your cpu. Also, raising the FSB will be OCing your ram too, and you may be extreamly limited by that factor.

Yes I know what the 133 and 200 mean. I figured anyone that responded with any info would know as well. I didn't want to seem redundant. I was not aware that the ram is affected as well. My CPU only runs at 1.5g and figured it wouldn't get much more horsepower, so I thought I'd ask the experts. Like I said, I don't know much of the techie side. I'd like to learn, and advice, suggestions and warnings are most of it. I appreciate the response and will look the link over.

V

Well we need more information on your system before we can advise anything. The CPU that you are using, is it a Palomino (0.18) or a Thoroughbred (0.13) ? Load up CPUID or CPU-Z, it will tell you which one it is.

What does your cooling system consist of ?

Yes, the core, Palomino and Throughbred depending which you have will affect OCing, as the Palomino runs hotter, and isnt designed to go as fast (as in top speed).

Also, the ram is part of your FSB, if you have a 266MHz FSB, you need DDR ram that runs at 266MHz, otherwise your whole front side bus is lowered to the speed of the ram. What many people do is, say get a 333MHz FSB 2500+, and get 400MHz Ram, and then your not overclocking the ram, and you wont be limited to getting your 2500+ to say 350MHz FSB ;)

Palominos peak at about 1750-1800mhz regardless of cooling. A few can reach higher but it is rare. Most palominos can make it 1733 (2100+) easily without increasing voltage.

Depending on your motherboard you may be able to run your CPU and RAM out of sync.

It's hard to help you without more specific information. Tell us what motherboard you have, what ram, and what core cpu.

After reading the replies and more of the supplied info in other threads regarding O/C, I've decided to just leave well enough alone. In time I will upgrade my chip and let it do it's own thing under it's own power. Thanks to all who've tried to help.

Revision B 1700's are great overclockers. I have one. Its been running at 12x166 for a year and a half. The BIOS says its a 2400.

How would I know which revision my chip is?? I checked the thread on identifying AMD chips, but it said nothing of revisions.

V

The B chips have a 13nm core. A program like CPUID will tell you. I think the older chips had a 18nm core. Ive read about them going as high as 2200mhz. If you do try to OC it get a program called Motherboard Monitor. It will give the CPU and system temp readings on the desk top.

Originally posted by vegasgmc
The B chips have a 13nm core. A program like CPUID will tell you. I think the older chips had a 18nm core.

The Thoroughbred revision B was introduced after the 2200+ which although it was on a 0.13 process still couldn't reach very high speeds. AMD retweaked the core & released it with the 2400+ & 2600+. Later on, all Thoroughbreds produced used that revision.

So you can't just tell that it's a revision B just because it is made in 0.13. The best way to make sure is to look at the identification plate on the chip (if it's a 0.13) or on the core itself (if it's a 0.18). That'll help you find out when it was produced which will in turn help you find out which revision it is.

I've got an old little 1700+ T-bred that's flying at over 2350mhz. I think that makes it a 3100 or so...

Stock cooling, the little guy is an overclocking beast, but needs a little extra voltage. CPU temps @100% load appraoch 60C.

Best overclocking chip I've ever had. My P4 2.6 wasn't bad at about 3.3Ghz, but needed some additional cooling...

Make sure you don't over-tax your RAM. Know what you have, and set your multiplyer accordingly.

How do u get ur pc "stable" after raising the FSB

right now its at 105

original was 100

the higher i raise it the computer starts to lag, the bios settings will let me raise it to 133 max. If i raise it that high the computer devices stop responding, like the keyboard wont take any inputs.

I think it might be my memory, originally its clocked at 400MHz Kingston RD RAM.

speedy266 said:
How do u get ur pc "stable" after raising the FSB

right now its at 105

original was 100

the higher i raise it the computer starts to lag, the bios settings will let me raise it to 133 max. If i raise it that high the computer devices stop responding, like the keyboard wont take any inputs.

I think it might be my memory, originally its clocked at 400MHz Kingston RD RAM.
Might be your PCI/AGP bus- try locking it at 66mhz in your BIOS, assuming you have the option. If you don't, then you simply can't overclock much...

I believe i dont have that setting. From wat i can remember i can change FSB manually or automatically (presets). Um i can change the Ratio for FSB: Auto, 3x, 4x. mainly about it...

These are the specs optained from CPU-Z
Voltage 1.728V
Core Speed: 1680MHz
Multiplier: x16.0
FSB: 105.0MHz
Bus Speed: 420MHz
L1 Data: 8 Kbytes
L2 Cache: 256Kbytes
FSB:DRAM 1:1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back