AMD Athlon 3200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternal

I have just purchased a AMD Athlon XP 3200 and replaced the old AMD 1800 I had. When my computer boots up, previously, the speed was displayed as 1150 mhz. With the new 3200 in place, this is now 1100mhz

This strikes me as being odd...it appears to be slower?

If its helpful, I am using a GA-7N400 Pro2 NForce2 Chipset motherboard.

While I am on, there is something else. I recently purchased two 512mb Ram DIMMs DDR400 3200 (non-branded). The computer seems really unstable with just these two and the Dual Channel doesnt seem to work well. The system seems to reboot every now and then. If I put in another 256mb, its fine. I was considering replacing them for two new Twin 512mb modules. Can you recommend this?

Your CPU is meant to run at 2200mhz ( 11*200 ). When you change CPUs the FSB will default to 100 ( thus the 1100 -> 11*100 ). Go into the BIOS & select 200 for the FSB & you're good to go.

The nForce 2 chipset is very picky on the Ram quality. Get some name brand like Crucial & you'll be fine.

PS. I hope you weren't using your 1800+ at 1150 all along. It's supposed to run at 1533mhz ( 11.5*133 ).

Thanks. I checked the BIOS and the FSB is already set to 200. Does this mean it is running at 2200, despite what it says on the load screen?

I'll check out a decent ram then, Crucial, or Kingston I hear is good too?

Then it is likely the BIOS displays the DDR speed in this case 200 actually represent the BUS running at 100mhz. Go back into the BIOS & set it to 400.

I've gone back into the BIOS. There's three options for 'system performance'

1. Normal - lets you change the FSB to no more than 200MHz
2. Manual - goes up to 300MHz

I can't see how it can go up to 400MHz, but it says 400MHz on the box it came in!

You need to change CPU External FREQ. to 200. That one doesn't need manual mode to be enabled in order to change it.

Advanced Chipset Features brings up:

System performance: 3 options [normal] [turbo] [manual]
FSB Frequency [MHz - max 200]
Memory Frequency: By SPD
Resulting Frequency: 266Mhz
AGP Frequency [Normal]

...and that's it.

OK, I appreciate all your help. It seems I needed to switch the 'Set system jumper' switch on the Mobo which was defaulted to off and that means 100MHz. When I set it to On, it goes to auto mode and that fixes it.

Thanks again.

Most boards come with the jumper set to that for saftey reasons (dont fry a slower cpu).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back