AMD FX-8120P overclocking results

Mizzou

While I am aware that everyone is on the bash Bulldozer bandwagon (understandable) thought I go ahead and share some results from the AIDA64 Extreme Edition benchmark section. After becoming more familiar with the hardware and after considerable tweaking I’ve managed to achieve a stable 4.8GHz overclock. Ultimately, this required a CPU multi and BCLK combination overclock as I was never able to stabilize using just the CPU multiplier.

Although Bulldozer clearly failed to live up to the pre-launch hype I would have to say that for the money ($219) the FX-8120P delivers a pretty good punch. If you do a lot of multi-media or other multi-threaded applications this processor is worthy of consideration. If hard core gaming is your primary interest then Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge or SB-E are the better alternatives.

Anyway, here are the results produced using Version 1.85.1600 of the AIDA64 Extreme Edition package.

CpuZ Validation
CpuZ Screenshot
FX8120P48GHz.jpg

Memory Read
MemoryRead.jpg

Memory Write
MemoryWrite.jpg

Memory Copy
MemoryCopy.jpg

CPU-Z is reporting the CPU as a 8130P. Is CPU-Z not reporting correctly, or are you running an early ES whose CPUID string identified it as a 8130P? I was under the impression that these aren't necessarily B2 revisions.

Nice OC and vCore by the way

CPU-Z is reporting the CPU as a 8130P. Is CPU-Z not reporting correctly, or are you running an early ES whose CPUID string identified it as a 8130P? I was under the impression that these aren't necessarily B2 revisions.

Nice OC and vCore by the way

It's was sold as a retail 8120P by newegg and although CpuZ reports it as Stepping 2 how can you really be sure? Curious that you don't get FSB or Northbridge speeds either and I've been checking regularly for CpuZ updates but nothing yet.

There's a new AOD out, but I'm not in big hurry to install it since according to the release notes it will now disable power management when you disable turbo-boost. At present using AOD to toggle turbo on and off as this provides a work around for the throttling problem with the GA-990FXA-UD7, bios is not functioning correctly for this setting.

vCore is set to 1.55 in bios to compensate for pretty significant vDroop but it seems to be doing the trick. It's worth noting that up to 4.7GHz I've been able to run with power management fully enabled, so that will end up being my 24/7 overclock.

Still haven't explored maximum Northbridge, FSB and memory overclocks but the performance at the current settings feels pretty smooth :)

It's was sold as a retail 8120P by newegg and although CpuZ reports it as Stepping 2 how can you really be sure?

At this stage I think you can only go from AMD's product ID code - unless the new beta 1.58.8 version of CPU-Z can pick up the cpuid.

The CPU and the box should both tally : FD8120FRW8KGU. The GU part refers to B2 stepping.

The rest if you're interested:
F = FX series, D = Desktop, 8120 = SKU, FR = 125w TDP, W = AM3+ socket, 8 = 8 core, K= 8MB L3 cache.

Hey P, I don't suppose you happened to take a snapshot of the heatspreader before you put yours in did you? I did and want to see if the numbers match with mine out of curiosity.
BTW....I have begun project "get in GB's face":haha:;)

Hey P, I don't suppose you happened to take a snapshot of the heatspreader before you put yours in did you? I did and want to see if the numbers match with mine out of curiosity.
BTW....I have begun project "get in GB's face":haha:;)

Now that you mention it, I might have taken a snapshot for the post mortem on the Bulldozer thread :) I'll browse through the pictures and see what I can come up with. I should probably join the "get in GB's face" campaign, inclined to believe with better VRM and the LLC bios that 5GHz would have been a possibility.

Hi there, I have a question regarding the 4.8Ghz you got timings of 1:4 on ram I tried it out and can only hit 3:10 and it is not stable. I have a cooler master N520 double faned with heat sink air cooled system and very well vent..case.

And my specs are as follows

AMD FX 8120P
AMD Sabertooth 990FX Mobo
3.1Ghz default as you already know, and
the Nvidia GTX 460 FTW graphics card
with a 750w PSU

With that how high do you think I can run? I need some serious help. with voltages and ram timings staying the same without rising. As mentioned this processor does stink for gaming, I love to game thought it might work good, but it doesn't. Furthermore, if you could help me out I'd appreciate it? I too was also wondering I can't get stable enough to even hit 4.6Ghz, I hit 4.57 just fine but nothing more. Please if anyone knows how to help that would be greatly appreciated! Oh and almost forgot I notice a boost in game performance when overclocked higher that is why I need some help.!

Tyler

Hi Tyler,
can you provide a bit more info on what settings you are attempting with your OC? are you using the multiplier, HT ref, or both? a screenshot would be good. What model ram are you using? (settings/voltage etc) as well.
You said that your 8120 is not working well for gaming. will you provide a specific example of this (game,settings,resolution etc)
What temps are you showing with your N520? anything above 4.5-4.6 you are probably going to need a bit more cooling.
and lastly, does that board have LLC (load line Control/calibration)?

I upped the voltage to 1.5620 on the CPU and the North Bridge to 1.2500 and then set all the load line calibration stuff to, high, high, optimized, auto, thermal and then 22.5 on the CPU multiplier and 214 for the Ram and set the ram timings manually 9-9-9-24-33-1t etc...I know this does not help much yet, I do not know how to take a screen shot of my BIOS? It does have Load Line Calibration yes, I already mentioned that though. I show around 26c and up to 36c only when overclocked so I dunno what else I can try, I need help setting voltages really if that's all that needs to be done?

Back