AMD slashes price of eight-core FX-8150 CPU in response to Ivy Bridge

Shawn Knight

Staff member

AMD has recently dropped the price of their flagship eight-core FX-8150, no doubt in response to the abundance of press that Intel has been receiving about Ivy Bridge. The high-end Bulldozer CPU can now be had for around €180 or under $250 stateside.

The trend was first noticed at European retailers where the price dropped from €219 to about €180 but we are already seeing the price reduction cascade through US retailers. This puts the CPU in line with a mid-range quad-core i5 desktop processor of the Ivy Bridge variety but many are already questioning if it’s a case of too little, too late for AMD.

As of writing, AMD has only slashed pricing on this single CPU and we’re unsure if the trend will continue across other chips in their lineup. It’s extremely plausible that we could see Llano parts receive a discount in light of a pending Trinity launch in just a few weeks.

Intel unveiled Ivy Bridge as a “tick” in their tick-tock release model earlier this week. Real-world testing on the i7-3770K revealed that it was roughly in line with performance from the older Sandy Bridge i7-2600K in several scenarios although it did pull ahead in some tests. Performance with a discrete GPU was on average 17 percent better while power consumption dropped 11 percent. Ivy Bridge components are expected to be available for order starting April 29.

Permalink to story.

id rather give my business to AMD over intel any day.

It's entirely your choice. I don't upgrade frequently so when I do, if it's the best option I switch indistinctly between NVIDIA-AMD/Intel-AMD at the time of buying the upgrades or building a new rig. I took that decision after bad experiences in different graphics generations with AMD or NVIDIA and after the huge disappointment of a big fail Pentium D.

For the past six-seven years I decided to run both Intel and AMD systems, and the one good thing about AMD is that their sockets are relatively stable as compared to Intel, so when these chips drop in prices like this one, you can pick up a pretty powerful CPU and slap it in.

For the past six-seven years I decided to run both Intel and AMD systems, and the one good thing about AMD is that their sockets are relatively stable as compared to Intel, so when these chips drop in prices like this one, you can pick up a pretty powerful CPU and slap it in.
Really? I was under the impression that for the most part, motherboards with FX CPU compatibility only date from (at the earliest for a select number of boards) ~ May 2010 ( 890FX/870 late revision) - I'm not even sure if Asus have guaranteed FX support for their AM3 socket boards. Unless Piledriver is AM3 compatible, I'd hazard a guess and say that X58 (4 years, 11 Nov 2008 to 7 Dec 2012), P35 (4.5 years, June 2007- 30 Dec 2011), and P67 (which will 2.5 years old before Haswell -LGA1150- is even introduced) are probably in the running for best supported boards/chipsets.

I'll pay 100 bucks for this but no more!

I5 is a better option at this price

Really? I was under the impression that for the most part, motherboards with FX CPU compatibility only date from (at the earliest for a select number of boards) ~ May 2010 ( 890FX/870 late revision) - I'm not even sure if Asus have guaranteed FX support for their AM3 socket boards. Unless Piledriver is AM3 compatible, I'd hazard a guess and say that X58 (4 years, 11 Nov 2008 to 7 Dec 2012), P35 (4.5 years, June 2007- 30 Dec 2011), and P67 (which will 2.5 years old before Haswell -LGA1150- is even introduced) are probably in the running for best supported boards/chipsets.

Yes, quantity has a quality all of its own. You're right as always.

Tough to beat the juggernaut. Core 2 and 965P became the sexy combination (8GB RAM capacity woo-hoo!), and more people gravitate to the front runners than the underdog. We of course are paying the price now with ever increasing chipset segmentation- seven Cougar Point and six Panther Point chipsets all using client LGA1155 (and another eleven using the mobile equivalents). Lynx Point for Haswell (LGA1150) at this juncture looks to follow the trend.

Which I suppose validates the proverb "You can have too much of a good thing"

Back