AMD is apparently buying ATI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it was on the TS front page too. It will most likely result in better products for us consumers which means more competition from Intel and lower prices. It's all good news for the consumer as such.

the possibility has been well known for a while now, but I didn't know AMD had officially confirmed it until I read the link that Didou provided :D

chipsets: I think that Nvidia will continue to make the high end chipsets for AMD boards.

graphics cards: again, i think AMD will still work with Nvidia, because nvidia is too big of a player to shut them out.

i also think that the "merger" will allow the cHT-linked multi-socket platform to become reality, because there's really nothing stopping it now :) (AMD may not be able to make a more powerful processor [yet], but they can make a more powerful platform to compensate .

does anybody have a link to any official statement from Intel or Nvidia about this? this is going to get very interesting, but like rage said, it's good news for all :)

Why would Intel or nVidia have an official press release concerning two other companies ?

Didou said:
Why would Intel or nVidia have an official press release concerning two other companies ?

A very good point by Didou :), I hope intel lower there prices because of this massive deal as i am an intel user and not an AMD user

Think its bad .. AMD will now want comsumers to buy ATI GPUs instead of Nvidia. . they(AMD) are going to bust a Mircosoft and not allows Nvidia chips for their processors .

thats foolish, I will not be a slave to any company, therefore i will not be forced to buy products because they only make the processor for ATI GPU's. I would much rather buy Intel and have the choice between ATI and nvidia

Intel will now be using their own chipset for onboard graphics as opposed to ATIs (http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33238) ...

We must admit to being a bit shocked to learn that ATI made eighty per cent of its chipset revenues from its Intel chipset deal. Now Intel is withdrawing and doesn't want ATI's chipsets anymore. At least, it doesn’t need it for the entry-level integrated chipset market, as its own 865G chipset can project a Vista premium compliant graphic.

Microsoft originally put Intel in misery by deciding that vertex shading has to be done in hardware for Vista. This was too much for Intel's integrated graphics to cope with. That’s why you will get some Intel integrated graphics chipset with full Shader Model 4.0 support at some point in 2007.

It's just another strategic move in that great game called the battle of the big chipset/cpu players, as can be confirmed by the recent ATI/AMD conference call and the stated reasoning of the two companies (http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33230) ...

The executives, Ruiz and ATI CEO Dave Orton, along with Dirk Meyer and chief AMD bean counter Bob Rivet were agreed the deal would provide better value to customers and shareholders in both companies. Bob said the merged company would be better positioned to achieve AMD's stated objective: to "break the monopoly".
The new company will achieve "cost synergies" worth $75 million by the end of 2007, increasing to $125 million by the end of 2008, the executives claim. By then, the company will be well into its "integration plan", more details on which it promised to deliver soon.

Well i dont like intel intergrated grahpics on their mobo's. I have a dell demention 3000 and the graphics have all crapped out, it can't diplay even xp properly. The computer is only one year old, and has been put under just about no stress.

AMD has a better platform.
AMD has cut prices agressively.
Intel now has a better chip.

What I see is...

AMD is going to start looking real good to system integrators again, expanding their business to new customers. They've been inching into the server market and now you'll see AMD's increasing presence in desktops.

Intel is going to start popping up on more enthusiast desktops and fewer OEMs. Their notebook presence will stay strong as their server niche gently declines. Apple is now in a pickle too, since Intel is abandoning ATI. :)

Smart move by AMD, in my opinion. Both companies are really going to help each other.

Rick said:
Apple is now in a pickle too, since Intel is abandoning ATI
you'll have to excuse my "apple ignorance" ;), but why does it affect apple? does ATI make the MAC'c chipset for Intel models? :confused:

No, but the newest MACs that do not have integrated Intel VGA generally have ATI cards in them (Radeon X1600 & the likes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back