AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 5995WX Review: The Most Powerful Ryzen

Amazing that the 5995 which doesn't reflect much gain compared to the 3990 in benchmarks made such a difference in the handling of 5.7k footage

Platform pretty much DOA if you're willing to wait for next year TR/TRP release on Zen4.

Not really huge amount of difference. A bit here and there, but nobody sane will justify 50% cost increase for few seconds here and there. AMD adapted very well to being Red Intel/nVidia. 5% improvement, 50% price increase. At least they stay inside same power envelope.

I wouldn't go that far that AMD killed Threadripper (for normal folks). Right now makes 0 sense to update TRX40 line which is dead for 2 years. With upcoming release of Zen4 I think "normal" TR will come again. If not, that will be tough pill to swallow to jump into EPYC DDR5 platform with overinflated prices - assuming of course World won't be consumed by nuclear winter in next 6 months.

What I would like to see would be Adobe apps on this one vs. Apple M1 Max/M2. That should be interesting...

Between the 12900k for games and some poor optimized apps and the Apple M1 Max, I think for most users there are only a few scenarios where such chips (virtual machines, a lot of very heavy very multithreaded tasks) are useful.

I'm fairly certain there's some serious optimization (or more like scaling) work to be done on the software side, before we can fully utilize monster CPUs like this. Just look at the Premiere Pro numbers, that should tell the real story.

Not really huge amount of difference. A bit here and there, but nobody sane will justify 50% cost increase for few seconds here and there. AMD adapted very well to being Red Intel/nVidia. 5% improvement, 50% price increase. At least they stay inside same power envelope.
Yeah right. According Techspot Zen3 IPC is around 16% better https://www.techspot.com/article/2143-ryzen-5000-ipc-performance/

Also 5000 series has higher clock speeds at same power. Pretty far from "5%" 🤔

Platform pretty much DOA if you're willing to wait for next year TR/TRP release on Zen4.

I wouldn't go that far that AMD killed Threadripper (for normal folks). Right now makes 0 sense to update TRX40 line which is dead for 2 years. With upcoming release of Zen4 I think "normal" TR will come again. If not, that will be tough pill to swallow to jump into EPYC DDR5 platform with overinflated prices - assuming of course World won't be consumed by nuclear winter in next 6 months.

You’re silly.. no one in their right mind would upgrade from a 3990X or whatever to a 5990X or whatever. Unless there workflow absolutely needed it, and the cost would justify it. These are for people using the OG TR, or An older Intel extreme CPU. Come on.. be real. Stop the trash talk.

Conveniently, the review gives an actual use case pointing out where it‘s worth upgrading.

If you are a professional who earns money with these systems, it‘s a simple calculation to determine if there is a good return on investment, or not.

For an interested hobbyist - not really. For them there are both the top of the line consumer CPU as well as older AMD and Intel HEDT processors.

So everyone says that these kind of cpu’s are niche product and only prove useful when utilized by pro’s working within high paralleled workflow. But what about GPGPU? Is it, like, ngreedia’s fault not aggressively pushing cuda everywhere, or there are indeed such a tasks that require only CPU’s pipeline?

As I've mentioned before, it would be interesting to see a comparison with an equivalent Intel workstation build rather than an Intel desktop processor. Just because AMD bundle multiple CPUs in a single package should not rule out comparison with an Intel multi-CPU build. I have seen Intel workstation builds with up to 96 cores / 192 threads.

As I've mentioned before, it would be interesting to see a comparison with an equivalent Intel workstation build rather than an Intel desktop processor. Just because AMD bundle multiple CPUs in a single package should not rule out comparison with an Intel multi-CPU build. I have seen Intel workstation builds with up to 96 cores / 192 threads.
Intel doesn't have an equivalent workstation CPU. Intel's best HEDT CPU right now is the Core i9-10980XE, an 18 core CPU from 2019 which scores about 17-18k in R23. It wasn't good even when it launched :)

Problem is that anything over 18 cores go into Xeon category as stated above. Even quad socket LGA2066 board would not be enough.

Because Threadripper is workstation CPU and Intel hasn't got anything even remotely comparable, there is really no comparison this time.

With EPYC and ThreadRipper, Intel is caught between a rock and a hard place. They have nothing that comes close to AMD at that level.

Last edited:
You’re silly.. no one in their right mind would upgrade from a 3990X or whatever to a 5990X or whatever. Unless there workflow absolutely needed it, and the cost would justify it. These are for people using the OG TR, or An older Intel extreme CPU. Come on.. be real. Stop the trash talk.

lol reminds me of saying that one of my friends uses all the time.

"When one doesn't know what they are talking about sometimes it's best to keep quiet, than to open your mouth to show everyone you are clueless."

If you can get Intel to send us one I'll happily test it, or hell if you want to buy us one I'll make you your own review.

After what AMD pulled with X399 and TRX40, I'm not giving them any more workstation business.

I don't have high hopes. Intel is nowhere in HEDT and AMD has been increasing TR prices since the first iteration. These 5000 series prices are already so high that unless you need overclocking it's actually cheaper to get EPYC instead.

After what AMD pulled with X399 and TRX40, I'm not giving them any more workstation business.
Yep AMD screwed TRX40 owners hard. Ironically they maintained compatibility on the server side but on HEDT they started milking. And this change was made for "longevity". Whatever that meant. We see how this played out. TRX40 owners never got a single upgrade despite the fact that there are engineering samples of TRX40 compatible 5000 series TR models out there. AMD just decided not to release them.

Care to explain what they did?
Yep AMD screwed TRX40 owners hard. Ironically they maintained compatibility on the server side but on HEDT they started milking. And this change was made for "longevity". Whatever that meant. We see how this played out. TRX40 owners never got a single upgrade despite the fact that there are engineering samples of TRX40 compatible 5000 series TR models out there. AMD just decided not to release them.
You should understand that Threadripper platform originally should not have been existed at all. It's more "hobby" platform rather than serious effort like Epyc and Ryzen lines.

Of course, at the moment Intel does HEDT much better, LOL. Some people just complain about anything.

Last edited:

You should understand that Threadripper platform originally should not have been existed at all. It's more "hobby" platform rather than serious effort like Epyc and Ryzen lines.

Of course, at the moment Intel does HEDT much better, LOL. Some people just complain about anything.
Hobby or not it's no excuse breaking compatibility with X399, then introducing TRX40 along with much more expensive 3000 series TR models and then not releasing a single upgrade for TRX40 owners. And even if they had released 5000 series for TRX40 then I fear prices would have been higher that 3000 series anyway.

That's pretty much it they replaced it with TR Pro to so only people that actually have a professional use case will buy them, a lot of people that don't fit this got shafted but I totally under the play from AMD. They need to continue to build their war chest and are no longer the discount brand. And you have to make big moves to be seen as big.

Last edited:
Back