AMD to demo Blu-ray stereoscopic 3D at CES next month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

AMD announced today that it plans to demonstrate the upcoming Blu-ray stereoscopic 3D standard at next month's Consumer Electronics Show (CES). Alongside multimedia software company CyberLink, AMD will showcase the 3D technology for attendees and will be located in the Grand Lobby (GL-8 and GL-10) of the Las Vegas Convention Center -- incase you're in the neighborhood.

The chipmaker took a moment to note that it is a "contributing member of the Blu-ray Disc Association" and is working closely with technology partners as the format is polished over the next year to "ensure compatibility with upcoming AMD hardware."

AMD said it has committed time and resources to deliver Blu-ray stereoscopic 3D to consumers when it is finally ready, "just as [it has] recently done with DirectX 11-capable hardware." It is unknown exactly how long it will take before the technology hits store shelves, though.

Permalink to story.

Okay my problem with "3D" technology is the glasses, what about us with vision problems that need to wear prescription glasses, how is this technology going to benifit us? Frankly in my opnion it is just another gimmic that large corporations have jumped ontop of for some stupid reason, and I really doubt it will ever take off. As I have stated in past comments what I would like to see more of is that Sony circular multidirectional three dimensional display that truly shows objects in their full three dimensions. Yes movies and such would take a while to get to a point to where you could truly show them as such, but it would be very easy to make video games using this tech as it would mearly be a matter of rendering the objects.

I guess this will take some time to set off, but once it does it will be a boom.

I think of them as plasmas when they entered the market, expensive as hell and "not that great" to switch from one another because of the price they had.

Funny how the 3D craze goes in cycles. First showed up in the 50's, again in the early 70's, a few movies inbetween and now all of a sudden it's the "new" hot thing.

IMNHO, until they get it to look as clear as a current, 120hz,1080p presentation, without the glasses and without requiring a nuclear power plant with 4 ultra high-end video cards to run it, it'll always be just a fad.

I agree with vangrant it is just not practical to use glasses to enjoy this technology, what happens if you invite some friends over or some relatives come to visit, i don't think they will ship the TV with 8 or 10 glasses, the display people in SOny are developing seems like the real future of tvs, with that technology you would thruly feel you are there, but let's give AMD a chance to see what they are up to

Agree with everyone saying that there isn't much future for this if you have to ware the glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back