AMD to reportedly launch the Radeon R9 380X next week

Scorpus

Staff member

It looks like AMD is set to reveal at least one more graphics card before the year is up, with the latest rumors suggesting the company will launch the Radeon R9 380X at the end of next week.

The R9 380X is expected to be one of the first non-Fiji-based graphics cards to be released this year from AMD that's not a simple re-brand of an existing GPU. The card will reportedly feature a fully-unlocked Tonga GPU, giving it more stream processors and better performance compared to the two existing Tonga-based cards, the R9 380 and R9 285.

Thanks to the card's use of a full Tonga GPU, the R9 380X will feature 2,048 stream processors, 128 TMUs and 32 ROPs. Clock speeds haven't been confirmed just yet, although it's expected that the card will run at around 1,000 MHz on the core, and at least 5,500 MHz on the memory.

Speaking of memory, the R9 380X is set to be equipped with 4 GB of GDDR5 memory on a 256-bit bus, providing at least the same bandwidth as the R9 380 (176 GB/s). There's no word on how much power the R9 380X will consume, though you'd expect its TDP to come in slightly higher than the R9 380's 190W.

According to the rumor, the R9 380X will launch on November 15th and will cost around $249, making it $50 more expensive than the R9 380, but cheaper than the $300 R9 290. This is all just a rumor at this stage, so take it with a grain of salt, but it wouldn't be a huge surprise if AMD launches a card at this price point.

Permalink to story.

256-bit bus, who was it again that complained about Nvidia cards having that bus size? xD
I would love to see AMD bring out a decent card for a decent price! Lets hope Zen is coming soon!!!

That $220 I spent on a slightly used 290X is looking better and better by the day :) I love AMD, but their recent card pricing has been atrocious. Glad I find that deal.

That $220 I spent on a slightly used 290X is looking better and better by the day :) I love AMD, but their recent card pricing has been atrocious. Glad I find that deal.
Knowing how to buy good second hand hardware requires a lot of knowledge and a bit of luck. You can save a lot of money if you know what you are doing.

Knowing how to buy good second hand hardware requires a lot of knowledge and a bit of luck. You can save a lot of money if you know what you are doing.

You're definitely right about that. I haven't purchased a gpu new in over 6 years. But this deal on the 290x was probably the best deal I've come across. Last 4 cards were Radeon 4890, Radeon 6950 (was able to unlock to 6970, GTX 770 and now this 290X.

I rolled the dice on a 970 via ebay and its been working fine for the last 4 months. 250$, you got a great deal though. I just wish there was some way they could xfer the warranty over to the new user.

I thought 2 970 would be a killer on 4K nope I really need 2 908TI to get 50-60 frame rates. Now with D12 games out next year and all new cards for D12 Plus W10 to run it. I give up.

I rolled the dice on a 970 via ebay and its been working fine for the last 4 months. 250$, you got a great deal though. I just wish there was some way they could xfer the warranty over to the new user.

Well, you could always contact the original owner and get all the registration info from them if you ever need it (assuming the did register it). If it was never registered, then all you'd need from them is the original invoice or packing slip and you can register it yourself.

You're definitely right about that. I haven't purchased a gpu new in over 6 years. But this deal on the 290x was probably the best deal I've come across. Last 4 cards were Radeon 4890, Radeon 6950 (was able to unlock to 6970, GTX 770 and now this 290X.
But you must also know how to find time/stock limited specials. I scooped up my EVGA SC GTX970 ACX 2.0 for ~$230 brand spanking new with full factory warranty and yes, it was 100% legit. Admittedly I was in the right place at the right time for that deal.

But you must also know how to find time/stock limited specials. I scooped up my EVGA SC GTX970 ACX 2.0 for ~$230 brand spanking new with full factory warranty and yes, it was 100% legit. Admittedly I was in the right place at the right time for that deal.
these kind of deals are very rare. (especially outside of the US) it's much easier to find a good deal in the second hand market. you were really lucky.

According to the rumor, the R9 380X will launch on November 15th and will cost around $249, making it $50 more expensive than the R9 380, but cheaper than the $300 R9 290.
R9 290's can be found cheaper than three bills. Even non-specials at Newegg has a reference card at $200, and an AIB custom for $250. $249 for Tonga looks like a hard sell unless the price includes launch day custom overclocked options.

R9 290's can be found cheaper than three bills. Even non-specials at Newegg has a reference card at $200, and an AIB custom for $250. $249 for Tonga looks like a hard sell unless the price includes launch day custom overclocked options.
you have to understand that most of those deals are US only and it is relatively well known that the US gets the best deals. (do we even have rebates in the EU? I've never seen one)
for example, where I live the R9 290 starts at over $320.

Last edited:
you have to understand that most of those deals are US only and it is relatively well known that the US gets the best deals. (do we even have rebates in the EU? I've never seen one)
for example, where I live the R9 290 starts at over $320.
Chances are that the 380X won't be the equivalent of $US249 in those same markets.

A lot depends on whether AMD and its partners deliberately jack prices (or divert inventory to more grey market outlets via eBay and smaller markets to get them off shelves so they aren't competition for the 380X), or if unsold inventory is so high that AMD/AIB's have eat the losses from competition in their own product stack - as has happened with the R9 280 which was EOL'ed over a year ago, but still refuses to go away.

Back