AMD vs Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.

cm1286

Hi everyone I am trying to figure something out right now I am working on design for a business computer. Now i have two customs both with P4 3.0ht now I wanted this business comp to have an amd 3200 but my oss who is contracting me to build it said he wants an intel in it. My question is which processor is good for a busness comp something like a pentium d or an amd 3200. Any help would be appreciated

The Pentium D would be fine for a business PC. If it was for gaming, I would choose an AMD but it's not. An AMD would also be fine for a business PC, by the way, but why not just give your (b)oss the Pentium he wants?

well my boss knows very little about comps so I was making sure he got the best thing I realize that the pentium would give better performance but i worry about heat and stability

does a pentium give better performance o.O

Depends on what the computer is being used isn't it? If its just word processing, you probably are spending too much on a comp getting those processors :D. The cheapest processor would do.

If not, then I'd suggest AMD, they're kickass so far, at least till Conroe is out.

Also, it may be news to your boss that the processor is not the only component in a system, so you might want to look at other things to improve performance where it counts.

Multi tasking is important

Yea the computer has to be able to run this program that acts as a cash register plus work on the online store as well as play the occasional solitare. I got most of the other parts covered 2G xms ram 80G hd intel mother board for the d idk about the amd and onboard graphics b/c we shouldnt need anything to special. Oh and did I mention this computer is in one of the harshest environments in the world its going to live in a bait along the east coast so yay...

I doubt you need a very powerful comp. You probably need to check out the requirements on that cash register program. 2gb RAM seems like an overkill, those programs look quite simple...

You have serious overkill for that. You could save yourself / himself a lot of money by sticking with a lower spec'ed machine. If you are worried about heat, get a northwood P4 or make sure that you install the stock HSF from Intel properly. The Prescotts are notorious for overheating if they have any lack of ventilation at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back