AMD working on Radeon R9 280, another re-branded GPU

Scorpus

Staff member

AMD is preparing yet another addition to their extensive graphics card line-up: the Radeon R9 280. With the R9 270X occupying the $199 price point, and the R9 280X costing well above its official price of $299 thanks to crypto-currency miners, it makes sense for AMD to launch a new card in the sub-$300 bracket.

Like the majority of AMD's R7 and R9 cards, the R9 280 will reportedly be a re-brand of the Radeon HD 7950, utilizing the very same 28nm 'Tahiti' GPU. This means we'll see 1,792 stream processors, 112 TMUs and 32 ROPs, plus 3 GB of GDDR5 memory on a 384-bit bus. There's a chance AMD will use the HD 7950 Boost's core clock speeds of 850 MHz (with a boost to 925 MHz), plus a memory clock of 1250 MHz (5.0 GHz effective).

If the R9 280 is indeed a re-brand of the HD 7950, we can expect support for AMD's Mantle API as it's a GCN 1.0-based part, but not TrueAudio because the GPU die lacks the necessary DSP. There's no firm word on when the R9 280 will launch, but AMD will likely position it against Nvidia's upcoming Maxwell graphics cards.

Rumors also indicate AMD is preparing a new dual-GPU card with two Hawaii XT dies (the same core used on the Radeon R9 290X) on the one board. The card is expected to launch around Computex 2014 in June, but no further details were revealed.

Permalink to story.

I was wondering why there was such a massive difference in pricing between the 270x and 280x cards.

Here is how much the cryptocurrency is impacting the pricing of AMD cards: only three days ago the price of a 290x card on Newegg retailed for about $700. Today, those cards are running in the $900 price range. I guess I'm out of the 290x market.

I was wondering why there was such a massive difference in pricing between the 270x and 280x cards.

Here is how much the cryptocurrency is impacting the pricing of AMD cards: only three days ago the price of a 290x card on Newegg retailed for about $700. Today, those cards are running in the $900 price range. I guess I'm out of the 290x market.
Apparently it's not all down to crypto-currency mining but also a failure on AMD's part not to order enough ASIC's manufactured by TMSC but yeah, $900 for a R9 290X is lunacy.

I can only hope that the extra money from the bitcoin-rage reaches AMD, and won't disappear completely at the retailers and shops. It would make these drastic price-increases a bit less painful -.-

Its a re-brand 7950, I had a feeling this was coming soon since 7950s has sortta disappeared. The GPU mining has ruined the value of these cards because the retailers are charging ridiculous prices for the higher end cards. In truth if I had not gotten my trio for sub 600 I would not have bought them, I could probably turn around and resell them and make a profit then grab a trio of 780ti's.

Well come March prices will stabilize again once Asics come back out for these things.

Back