Anatomy of a Power Supply Unit (PSU)

I recently built a Core i9900ks with EVGA 240mm AIO computer for one of my cousins. He chose a Corsair 850 and I ended up exchanging it for an EVGA model instead. Cables were too short.

The EVGA 850 had two power switches, longer cables and just felt like a higher quality product and it was only around $30 more.

I just wish PSU had an easily accessible, user replaceable fuse or circuit breaker as standard because the PSU is usually the first part to shut down if there's a short or a mistake made during the connection process.

In the end I felt so much better sticking with EVGA than the corsair.

He's happier as well.

Attachments

• 81374729_2258088521167696_7470016685542473728_o.jpg
    81374729_2258088521167696_7470016685542473728_o.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 1
A very well written article! It's something a lot of people overlook when building, or buying a computer.
They will spend a ton of money on the motherboard, processor, ram, video card, but skimp on the power supply. The old saying...garbage in, garbage out.
I'd prefer a LINEAR regulator over a switching regulator, but the cost and the WEIGHT makes it prohibitive, so all we have are switching regulators. Don't skimp on the power supply!
Another thing to add, if you are in an area with unstable "mains" voltage is a battery backup power supply. If you have a storm, or blackout/brownouts, a quick on/off on the AC input voltage can wreck
havoc on the switching regulator...especially if you went cheap on the power supply

I got a older Corsair XH 850W PSU. On my last dust clean routine I noticed that one of the APFC is slightly melted. I"m guessing it's from the dust buildup that it damaged itself. What is my risk factor here? Should I get it replaced asap?? It's been running fine even on heavy load.

A very well written article! It's something a lot of people overlook when building, or buying a computer.
They will spend a ton of money on the motherboard, processor, ram, video card, but skimp on the power supply. The old saying...garbage in, garbage out.
I'd prefer a LINEAR regulator over a switching regulator, but the cost and the WEIGHT makes it prohibitive, so all we have are switching regulators. Don't skimp on the power supply!
Another thing to add, if you are in an area with unstable "mains" voltage is a battery backup power supply. If you have a storm, or blackout/brownouts, a quick on/off on the AC input voltage can wreck
havoc on the switching regulator...especially if you went cheap on the power supply
Efficiency also goes way down for linear regulators.

Switchers also tend to respond to transients far faster than linears.

Here's a link to the PSU database where you can find the manufacturer behind the PSU you have. You can in most cases click on the manufacturer to reveal which PSU's are based on that particular platform. You'll be surprised that sometimes PSU's are made by the same company although you might prefer one over the other http://www.orionpsudb.com/corsair
Many thanks for the link :)

What's the gloppy stuff?
It's a silicone sealant, used to reduce vibrations on the capacitors and other components, to ensure that they remain fully seated throughout the operational lifespan of the PSU.

Edit: And thanks for the kind feedback, folks!

Last edited:
It's a silicone sealant, used to reduce vibrations on the capacitors and other components, to ensure that they remain fully seated throughout the operational lifespan of the PSU.
Thanks Man!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Efficiency also goes way down for linear regulators.

Switchers also tend to respond to transients far faster than linears.

Yeah, but some of the equipment I work on, sometimes has issues with the switching regulators are some EMI interference, thanks to the stuff we work on, probably sourced the parts CHEAP @#$%@#. You put a scope on something when trying to debug something, and sometimes you pick up noise induced into the digital lines.

"such a statement will have many engineers chomping at the bit to correct this remark"

I'm not an engineer but I also want to correct this remark. It's "champing" at the bit.

Idioms in English, be it British or American, morph and change over the years. The word 'champ' is onomatopoeic and almost certainly the original source of the word itself (which refers to biting/chewing noisily). Yes, the origins of the idiom are from horse racing, where eager horses would noisily bite on their bits, but 'chomp' is a far more common version of the word in today's world, thus the idiom as stated is just as acceptable as the original version.

If such changes never occurred, one could cause all kinds of confusion saying such things as "those girls are so nice" ("those young people are ignorant") or "I use this furniture to prepare meat for my vegan friends" ("I use this equipment to make this solid food for my vegan friends") :)

Idioms in English, be it British or American, morph and change over the years. The word 'champ' is onomatopoeic and almost certainly the original source of the word itself (which refers to biting/chewing noisily). Yes, the origins of the idiom are from horse racing, where eager horses would noisily bite on their bits, but 'chomp' is a far more common version of the word in today's world, thus the idiom as stated is just as acceptable as the original version.

If such changes never occurred, one could cause all kinds of confusion saying such things as "those girls are so nice" ("those young people are ignorant") or "I use this furniture to prepare meat for my vegan friends" ("I use this equipment to make this solid food for my vegan friends") :)

Even though Canadian English is quite closer to British than American, "Champing at the bit" is generally not used here, except by maybe some older Britons who came over and never adapted to Canadian English?

In Canadian English "chomp" means to bite down or chew. "champ" has an entirely different meaning, as a shortened form of "champion" (slang), sometimes used in a derogatory or sarcastic manner.

So while "champing at the bit" might be authentic in Britain, In Canadian English, it doesn't make much sense.

And just to keep this on topic. I do have to say, was far more impressed with this article than I thought I was going to be, excellent work!

Last edited:
And just to keep this on topic. I do have to say, was far more impressed with this article than I thought I was going to be, excellent work!
And that kind of praise really means a lot - a great many thanks to you and to everyone else who has enjoyed it. The next 'Anatomy' piece is in the pipeline :)

I recently built a Core i9900ks with EVGA 240mm AIO computer for one of my cousins. He chose a Corsair 850 and I ended up exchanging it for an EVGA model instead. Cables were too short.

The EVGA 850 had two power switches, longer cables and just felt like a higher quality product and it was only around $30 more.

I just wish PSU had an easily accessible, user replaceable fuse or circuit breaker as standard because the PSU is usually the first part to shut down if there's a short or a mistake made during the connection process.

In the end I felt so much better sticking with EVGA than the corsair.

He's happier as well.
Hehe a sucker born every minute. Much of the sales of power supplies is kids buying shiny objects, they want a red fan, purple light etc. And some just want higher numbers. Paint 10,000 watts on side they flock to them. Today you need even less than in the past for the average computer. We are getting MORE efficient. Some think the 1000 watts make their computers run way faster etc. Lots of wives tales with power supplies.

Thorough breakdown of PSU components with descriptions/explanations of what they do. And it is presented well with much needed photos. Still, a fair amount of this is over my head! This is definitely the place to go if I want to learn something!

Back