Anonymous organizes Internet Blackout Day in protest of CISPA

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Members of the loose-knit hactivist group Anonymous are encouraging an Internet Blackout Day in protest of the controversial Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) which once again made it through the House of Representatives late last week.

The group organized a similar protest last year against the Stop Online Privacy Act (SOPA) which saw support from more than 7,000 websites across the net. Prominent web destinations including Reddit and Wikipedia took part in the protest with the latter service closure affecting some 100 million visitors to the English language version of the site. SOPA was ultimately done away with although CISPA shares a number of similarities.

This time around, Anonymous is asking participants to replace their regular pages with a notice that explains why their site isn’t available. The group is also encouraging site owners to reach out to fellow site owners and try to persuade them to do the same.

CISPA recently passed in the House of Representatives on Thursday with a vote of 288 in favor versus 127 in opposition. The bill still has to make it through the Senate and if that is successful, it would move on to the White House where it will likely be vetoed in its current incarnation.

Those in favor of the bill believe it would give the government a direct route to targeting dangerous individuals without having to bother with warrants and subpoenas. Those against it feel it’s too broad and would be catastrophic to privacy laws as well as the fourth amendment.

Permalink to story.

Funny how Anonymous is acting like a White Knight about this... especially considering all the hoopla they've caused in the past. Kinda like a local drug dealer advocating and promoting DARE...

Funny how Anonymous is acting like a White Knight about this... especially considering all the hoopla they've caused in the past. Kinda like a local drug dealer advocating and promoting DARE...

Actually I think it's exactly the opposite. CISPA's intention is to help the government work with private organizations to catch cyber criminals. Anon is a group of cyber criminals... they hack into police station databases,shut down websites and expose private data of people they think are guilty of something before they've been convicted. They are probably a big reason this bill exists in the first place. Anon wants complete internet freedom so they can continue to bully people who they think need bullying.

"Anon is a group of cyber criminals... they hack into police station databases,shut down websites and expose private data of people they think are guilty of something before they've been convicted."

So maybe with the exception of hacking police stations, What makes them so different from the government?

"Anon is a group of cyber criminals... they hack into police station databases,shut down websites and expose private data of people they think are guilty of something before they've been convicted."

So maybe with the exception of hacking police stations, What makes them so different from the government?

Right now, with the current administration? Not that much, honestly. The White House has a full time staff of cyber propagandists who do all they can to spread FUD and disinformation. There's no evidence of them engaging in outright hacking of their political opponents but I wouldn't put it past them. This is the same bunch that sues anyone who tries to uphold laws they disagree with, and passes new laws which make it OK to break existing laws. Of course that's completely unconstitutional and illegal itself but it hasn't stopped them yet.

So wait....ANON wants a internet blackout day?? Why doesnt ANON do its normal DDoS attacks. Now I know that some ppl defend ANON. That is their choice. I however see them as the cyber terrorist that they are. And anyone who doesnt agree with thier world view gets hacked. Seems to me that ANON just wants the freedom to do as they like, but with none of the consiquences that come with that freedom.
Guys if your going to complain about the govt, try and be constructive about it. Yes the govt has a cyber force. Every major power does. What makes the US govt different from every other super power witha cyber force? They have a Constitution to work against. Yes they may make laws you do not agree with. But thats the nature of a changing society. I do not agree with a lot of the laws out there. But I am a US citizen, I AM protected by not only a 200+ yr old piece of paper, but by every person who has died to defend the ideals of that paper. So before you go on your super conspiracy rant on how the govt is taking away (insert BS rant) think about how bad other ppl have it. Many govt refuse the populace the ability to even see the web. Add on to that the fact that there are many countries were most ppl can not afford either a computer or even electricity. If your a US citizen you have more rights and power then half the world. Take a few mins and look at yourself. Then look at them. Then really ask yourself "Do I really have it THAT bad?" Because I guarentee, you dont.

"So wait....ANON wants a internet blackout day?? Why doesnt ANON do its normal DDoS attacks."

Most people have no idea what a DDoS attack is or even what CISPA is. But you knock on the internet for a day and people will notice.

Suddenly grandma cant play her farmville, 12 year old Billy cant check his twitter account. People will want to know why. Now if the public votes in favor of CISPA after knowing the facts.Then any further hacks/attacks need to stop. They key is just getting people informed. You have to wake people up first before they pay attention.

They shut down websites of companies and governments that are against our basic rights of Freedom.
They shut down a bank website because they are against WikiLeaks, they shut down some important Israeli websites because of the murders they make in Palestine, they shut down any website that affect the basis of human rights and our freedom of speech. How would you like knowing that the U.S.A knows EVERY site that you have visited, being in "private" search or not ?

I personally don't look at them as Terrorists. They might affect innocent people, that is true, but doesn't the government kill innocent people for their own interests ?

As for the "expose private data of people they think are guilty of something before they've been convicted " part, NO ONE can be sure of the suspect being guilty or not, not even the government itself. They have their ups and downs, but judging them as being a terrorist group is, from my point of view, just a successful way of saying: "Hey, look at me, I'm a perfect product of the Governments and all its corruption ! Long live The Government!"

Now, that's only my point of view. I might be wrong, I might not, but I know that there is something terribly wrong in this world, and that the time for a change should come soon, or as H.G Wells said, "If we don't end War, War will end us."

May everyone realize how crazy this world has become.

P.S: I'm not, in any way, insulting you, just giving up my opinion on this subject. Please accept my apologies if you read some of my sentences/worlds with a negative connotation, and know that my meaning is only to argument, and not to judge, nor to insult. Also, please forgive my possible bad use of the language, as English is not my mother tongue :)

They shut down websites of companies and governments that are against our basic rights of Freedom.
They shut down a bank website because they are against WikiLeaks, they shut down some important Israeli websites because of the murders they make in Palestine, they shut down any website that affect the basis of human rights and our freedom of speech. How would you like knowing that the U.S.A knows EVERY site that you have visited, being in "private" search or not ?

I personally don't look at them as Terrorists. They might affect innocent people, that is true, but doesn't the government kill innocent people for their own interests ?

Anon isn't a group of terrorists...They're just a group who wants to do what they think is right. Sometimes they're right, sometimes they're wrong, but what's missing from either case is due process. No one has the right to hack into someone's personal info and post it all online because that person is a suspect in a crime. In the US, you are innocent until proven guilty, and if Anon posts your personal info online to prove a point, then that's illegal.

Anon doesn't want to protect yours and my personal freedom on the internet. They want to protect their own, so they can continue on their crusade of whatever they please without the feds being able to track them down when they do something illegal. And a lot of what they do is illegal.

As a general rule... you should stop and think whenever someone or some group tells you how you should form your opinion and that opinion just happens to benefit them more than you.

So wait....ANON wants a internet blackout day?? Why doesnt ANON do its normal DDoS attacks. Now I know that some ppl defend ANON. That is their choice. I however see them as the cyber terrorist that they are. And anyone who doesnt agree with thier world view gets hacked. Seems to me that ANON just wants the freedom to do as they like, but with none of the consiquences that come with that freedom.
Guys if your going to complain about the govt, try and be constructive about it. Yes the govt has a cyber force. Every major power does. What makes the US govt different from every other super power witha cyber force? They have a Constitution to work against. Yes they may make laws you do not agree with. But thats the nature of a changing society. I do not agree with a lot of the laws out there. But I am a US citizen, I AM protected by not only a 200+ yr old piece of paper, but by every person who has died to defend the ideals of that paper. So before you go on your super conspiracy rant on how the govt is taking away (insert BS rant) think about how bad other ppl have it. Many govt refuse the populace the ability to even see the web. Add on to that the fact that there are many countries were most ppl can not afford either a computer or even electricity. If your a US citizen you have more rights and power then half the world. Take a few mins and look at yourself. Then look at them. Then really ask yourself "Do I really have it THAT bad?" Because I guarentee, you dont.

I somehow agree with you. Computer business is always messy anyway. But be sure that Anonymous wouldn't be so "followed" around the world by people that felt that political pressure on them. I mean, Anonymous has it's own meaning, it's own symbol. Everywhere in the world, people protesting use that Guy Fawkes mask, symbol of Anonymous (in both way : Not being known (so speaking for a lot), and the group Anonymous, symbol of revolution against an common oppressor (of course, that is MY point of view, MY definition, therefore, as a human being, I might be wrong, as much as I might not be.)

But let me ask you something. What is your point of view on U.S.A's wars ? Are you FOR or AGAINST them ?
If you are FOR, then stop reading, because that means that you won't find anything interesting in what I say next. But if your are AGAINST it, then keep on reading.
Why are you against them ? Because of what specific reason ? I think that we all remember the Vietnam war, such a loss. Young soldiers were sent there to "die" (since not all of them died, I did put the " ). Have you ever been in a battlefield ? I certainly didn't, but I can tell you, from what I hear that it is completely horrible. Many people choose not to talk because of the atrocities they had to make. Anyway, going off subject (just a bit ) so I will go back In the subject.
This CISPA thing, as of this SOPA and PIPA thing is war. A war lead by the U.S.A to control the web. A war lead by this Giant to control one of the last thing they don't control (yet? I hope so!). When internet was first born, it was believed by most of the people to be free, and to always stay this way. No one, no government has the power to fully control it. And thank God for that, because if they did, imagine all the abuse that it would do.
Don't tell me that if -let's say- Saudi Arabia (Just an example, taken because of that Islam-phobia growing ( thanks to the U.S.A)). If THEY were to vote for the CISPA bill, would you still say YES! to it ?
My answer would stay the same for sure: NO for CISPA, NO for control over one of the last thing we have left !
What makes your country be any better than the others ? There are "only" (around) 200 countries in the planet, and yet, only one big boss, only one coach ?

Anyway, you see Anonymous as being terrorists, I see them as being some kind of White Knights ( why not Black Knights ? Why is Light synonym of purity, and Dark or darkness ?)
Believe me when I say that if Anonymous was, in fact, just a bunch of people trying to forge the world as they want it to be, and that so many people follow them, it is because behind the world they want to forge, there is an idea, a hope that we, the people, will have freedom, freedom of life, freedom of speech, freedom of being human, freedom of having a will, and knowing that this will can be used.

Did you ever see any group that was so much appreciated by the people have so much dark ideas ? I never have !

Finally, of course, you can say: "It's part of their plan. Once everyone follow, they will be zombies, and we will use them to conquer the world ! MOUHHAHAHAHAHA *evil laugh*"
But at least, they give us hope. Hope that humanity is awaking. Hope that the fight against these freedom-taking governments and laws and bills will be put to a stop. Don't say that you are not concerned by their actions. We are all.
Just take the red pill!

Anon isn't a group of terrorists...They're just a group who wants to do what they think is right. Sometimes they're right, sometimes they're wrong, but what's missing from either case is due process. No one has the right to hack into someone's personal info and post it all online because that person is a suspect in a crime. In the US, you are innocent until proven guilty, and if Anon posts your personal info online to prove a point, then that's illegal.

Anon doesn't want to protect yours and my personal freedom on the internet. They want to protect their own, so they can continue on their crusade of whatever they please without the feds being able to track them down when they do something illegal. And a lot of what they do is illegal.

As a general rule... you should stop and think whenever someone or some group tells you how you should form your opinion and that opinion just happens to benefit them more than you.

Interesting that you say "No one has the right to hack into someone's personal info and post it all online because that person is a suspect in a crime."
It is interesting because the CISPA would actually give the US to have that kind of power, only because you did a little something wrong ( the problem with this bill is that it has no clear limitation of when the government AND private industries can look up someone's private infos).

But, in another manner, I say that you are right. But then, look again. I read that one of the U.S.A papers ( there are many, I don't remember the name of the newspaper, but I think it was a Tabloid actually), gave up pictures of two possible suspects on the Boston marathon bombing. And you what's wrong? What is wrong is that these two suspects had nothing to do. And now, they must try to be EVEN MORE private, because many people are harassing them. Where your "you are innocent until proven guilty" rule ?
Also, what about those people that get the death penalty and that ARE innocent ?
What about all the people in Guantanamo bay prison? Don't they have basic human rights ?
I agree that what they do can be dangerous, but when I see that the government does, I wonder if it's not necessary to become violent against them. ( I am not, IN ANY WAY, claiming that we should either bomb or kill people. Taking ones life is not OUR choice to make.) And I don't see where the governments are any different from us, people?

If I was a business I wouldn't be found participating in something organized by Anon, a group of criminals. It seems that Anon is doing the right thing in this case but their reputation proceeds them. I wouldn't be surprised if companies are less than willing to participate and ultimately the word doesn't get out about this bill all because of Anon being involved.

"CISPA will allow private sector firms to search personal and sensitive user data of ordinary U.S. residents to identify "threat information," which can then be shared with other opt-in firms and the U.S. government ? without the need for a court-ordered warrant."

"The Bill will also amend the National Security Act to allow U.S. intelligence services to hand over classified information to entities and people that DO NOT have security clearance."

http://www.zdnet.com/cispa-passes-u-s-house-death-of-the-fourth-amendment-7000014205/

"Major technology and Web companies ? not limited to Google, Facebook, Twitter and Microsoft ? will not be allowed to promise to protect users' privacy should CISPA pass Congress. For those out of the loop, CISPA will allow private sector firms to search personal and sensitive user data of ordinary U.S. residents to identify this so-called "threat information", and to then share that information with each other and the US government ? without the need for a court-ordered warrant."

http://www.zdnet.com/under-cispa-go...t-promise-to-protect-your-privacy-7000014113/

But, in another manner, I say that you are right. But then, look again. I read that one of the U.S.A papers ( there are many, I don't remember the name of the newspaper, but I think it was a Tabloid actually), gave up pictures of two possible suspects on the Boston marathon bombing. And you what's wrong? What is wrong is that these two suspects had nothing to do. And now, they must try to be EVEN MORE private, because many people are harassing them. Where your "you are innocent until proven guilty" rule ?
Also, what about those people that get the death penalty and that ARE innocent ?
What about all the people in Guantanamo bay prison? Don't they have basic human rights ?

Well... I'll explain it for you. It's not hacking into a network when the pictures you're posting are freely given to you by either the shop owners on the street or other members in the crowd that day. The FBI didn't force their way onto people's PCs and steal their pictures. Secondly, those pictures were only posted on the news after the FBI acquired video of the suspects actually leaving their backpacks behind in the crowd. AND one of the victims remembers seeing them do it. I think it's a stretch to call them suspects at all, but tha'ts what we do.

They are a great example of privacy because the older of the brothers was known to run in terrorist circles and was actually interviewed by the FBI about it when they were reviewing his application to become a citizen. The fact that he frequented a youtube channel dedicated to the jihad didn't matter because he's free to believe whatever he likes in this country without persecution.

None of this even matters because CISPA isn't about giving anyone access to anything. It's about letting companies share info with the govt so they can track down criminals. Or, read another way, companies won't be able to guarantee your info is private, because if they get hacked, they may have to share the details of said hack with authorities to help in the investigation.

And seriously... if a jidahist Chechen who's internet history is full of bomb manuals and terrorist propaganda who had 4 guns without permits doesn't get the attention of the authorities, what the heck are we possibly worried about.
Oh, look, the sky is falling.

In my state (PA), you can tell who's dealing, because they have custom D.A.R.E. tags on their pimped rides.....:eek:

(OK, maybe a slight exaggeration, but I swear it made the local news when they popped somebody for dealing with DARE tags on the car). Honest.

Yes-sirree, all ya need to "succeed in business without really trying", is a Jesus fish, a US flag, and a set of DARE tags on your car, and it's off to the schoolyard.....

OK look, after this:
I somehow agree with you. Computer business is always messy anyway. But be sure that Anonymous wouldn't be so "followed" around the world by people that felt that political pressure on them. I mean, Anonymous has it's own meaning, it's own symbol. Everywhere in the world, people protesting use that Guy Fawkes mask, symbol of Anonymous (in both way : Not being known (so speaking for a lot), and the group Anonymous, symbol of revolution against an common oppressor (of course, that is MY point of view, MY definition, therefore, as a human being, I might be wrong, as much as I might not be.)

But let me ask you something. What is your point of view on U.S.A's wars ? Are you FOR or AGAINST them ?
If you are FOR, then stop reading, because that means that you won't find anything interesting in what I say next. But if your are AGAINST it, then keep on reading.
Why are you against them ? Because of what specific reason ? I think that we all remember the Vietnam war, such a loss. Young soldiers were sent there to "die" (since not all of them died, I did put the " ). Have you ever been in a battlefield ? I certainly didn't, but I can tell you, from what I hear that it is completely horrible. Many people choose not to talk because of the atrocities they had to make. Anyway, going off subject (just a bit ) so I will go back In the subject.
This CISPA thing, as of this SOPA and PIPA thing is war. A war lead by the U.S.A to control the web. A war lead by this Giant to control one of the last thing they don't control (yet? I hope so!). When internet was first born, it was believed by most of the people to be free, and to always stay this way. No one, no government has the power to fully control it. And thank God for that, because if they did, imagine all the abuse that it would do.
Don't tell me that if -let's say- Saudi Arabia (Just an example, taken because of that Islam-phobia growing ( thanks to the U.S.A)). If THEY were to vote for the CISPA bill, would you still say YES! to it ?
My answer would stay the same for sure: NO for CISPA, NO for control over one of the last thing we have left !
What makes your country be any better than the others ? There are "only" (around) 200 countries in the planet, and yet, only one big boss, only one coach ?

Anyway, you see Anonymous as being terrorists, I see them as being some kind of White Knights ( why not Black Knights ? Why is Light synonym of purity, and Dark or darkness ?)
Believe me when I say that if Anonymous was, in fact, just a bunch of people trying to forge the world as they want it to be, and that so many people follow them, it is because behind the world they want to forge, there is an idea, a hope that we, the people, will have freedom, freedom of life, freedom of speech, freedom of being human, freedom of having a will, and knowing that this will can be used.

Did you ever see any group that was so much appreciated by the people have so much dark ideas ? I never have !

Finally, of course, you can say: "It's part of their plan. Once everyone follow, they will be zombies, and we will use them to conquer the world ! MOUHHAHAHAHAHA *evil laugh*"
But at least, they give us hope. Hope that humanity is awaking. Hope that the fight against these freedom-taking governments and laws and bills will be put to a stop. Don't say that you are not concerned by their actions. We are all.
Just take the red pill!
This thread needed something to lighten it up.

I became enraged and outraged, just trying to ignore this. I would have replied, but I didn't want to give anybody the satisfaction of having me read it.

A TECH site writing about Anonymous or the internet and they fail to even mention what day or date, is there a shortage of editors ? What is this the amateur hour ? Please dismiss the writer who posted that article and hire me.

@ DR Draco - The war quote you used was superb !

I just want to say the world needs Anonymous but much the same as it needs government. A neo age checks and balance system, both have pros and cons. The difference with the latter which many of you seem to forget, is that they are PUBLIC officials elected into office and are mostly accountable for their actions. How can anything be perfect if created or staffed by individuals capable of corruption and errors ? ( not even computers are flawless because they was made from humans )

We know big brother seeks to control but how can you create something different if society does the same thing by persecuting people in a majority rule way such as a crowd or town of people who turn against others that fail to appear how they think is acceptable in life. What does wearing a bandana to church make me less of a Christian - maybe a lame example but you get the idea. My point is revolutionaries were once crusified as witches and centuries later those who challenge, even if in a professional manner, the current process are still treated the same without having the money to buy media, support, etc.

I find it sad but this new legislation is most likely going to be ratified because other information I read on the internet have claimed many of the large corporations like GOOGLE, who opposed the one last year, support it.

@ DR Draco - The war quote you used was superb !

I just want to say the world needs Anonymous but much the same as it needs government. A neo age checks and balance system, both have pros and cons. The difference with the latter which many of you seem to forget, is that they are PUBLIC officials elected into office and are mostly accountable for their actions. How can anything be perfect if created or staffed by individuals capable of corruption and errors ? ( not even computers are flawless because they was made from humans )

We know big brother seeks to control but how can you create something different if society does the same thing by persecuting people in a majority rule way such as a crowd or town of people who turn against others that fail to appear how they think is acceptable in life. What does wearing a bandana to church make me less of a Christian - maybe a lame example but you get the idea. My point is revolutionaries were once crusified as witches and centuries later those who challenge, even if in a professional manner, the current process are still treated the same without having the money to buy media, support, etc.
Kudos to you and the "doc". Or is that ".doc"? Fun stuff you two blow out of wherever. One more paragraph out of either one of you, and you'll have me believing that "Skynet" went back in time, not to kill John Connor, but to ghost write Orwell's "1984". Oooo "Big Brother". 1984 is a done deal. We elected Ronald Regan. Isn't that enough harm to future generations without you two piling manure on an open sore?

But no, now that you mention it, elected officials are not accountable for their actions. People piss away their votes stupidly.

About 3 people at any given time are watching legislative action on C-SPAN. The rest of them seem to be here wasting bandwidth going on about the "boogie man". Oops, I mean "big brother".

@Capt.
Sorry they upset you so much. I know how tender your "feelings" are <he he>. But in all seriousness, they have the same right to both an opinion and the ability to express that opinion.
doc
Im sorry, I do not agree with you. Sometimes WAR is nesesary. Sometimes that is the only course of action left. Do you think any country really wants war? A lot has to happen for a WAR to start <Both President Bushs not withstanding>. Diplomatic talks have to stall and normally, I do say normally, someone throws the first punch. I do not agree with war but it is a evil we of civilization must confront. because greed runs deep in the human creature. Someone always wants something someone else has and they do so by force.
ANON falls into a catagory that makes them hard to actually define. They hold themselves outside the law. The work outside the law, and they say they do it "For The People". Yet where is the positive product of these hacks? Our freedoms havent gotten broader due to their actions. No evil corporation was "taken down" because of their actions. ANON does what ANON does because ANON wants to do it. They are a hot button jumper. Whatever is "hot" ANON jumps on that band wagon. If ANON was the "White Knight" you would paint them as, then why havent we seen ANYTHING out of them on exposing Syria using chemical weapons. These are internet kiddies. Syria is part of the internet. Even better, what about North Korea. Why havent we seen ANON go after a despot regime? Basically, ANON likes to make themselves important by SEEMING to be productive. The sad reality is they make a piss poor "Internet Robin Hood". Mainly because they could give two shakes of a rats *** about the people. I will put my faith into ppl who actually do something to effect the world. Those ppl who sacrafice of themselves to help ppl. Not Jimmy snotnose SOB in Mommies basement thinking hes some form of web superpower.

Preamble: I was a young man, full of energy and spirit, and yet suffering deeply with an affliction known as, "post adolescent intellectual pretense", I was given a copy of the "Communist Manifesto" to read. When I had finished I gleaned a couple points of enlightenment from it. The first was, if "Reader's Digest" got a hold of it, I'd would have been worth ten pages tops.. Second, Karl Marx was a bitter, bitter man, who was simultaneously thoroughly infatuated with the sound of his own voice. But hey, we're all Karls on this bus from time to time, now aren't we?
@Capt. Sorry they upset you so much. I know how tender your "feelings" are <he he>. But in all seriousness, they have the same right to both an opinion and the ability to express that opinion.
Yeah, you're of course, correct.....(wait for it)........ BUT, what they lack is the discretion and the civil decency to not exercise that right.

I base that on a simple parallel; just because you can fart in an iron lug, doesn't mean you should. It just make's more sense to hold it.

Back