Anonymous publishes details of 16,000 Finnish residents

Leeky

The Finnish arm of the hacktivist collective Anonymous has issued a statement claiming responsibility for exposing 16,000 people living in Finland, including a parliamentary aid's affiliation to an active neo-Nazi group, in what it claims was a move to embarrass the Finnish government into improving its weak data security.

The list published on Pastebin includes names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of the Finnish residents. It appears to have come from several different sources. The list also includes upper secondary vocational institutes, civil servants and police officers.

Also included were the names that came from the membership application database of the Kansallinen Vastarinta website. "We have successfully and easily hacked [the neo-Nazi] website and published the database of its membership application database containing personal data of some applicants from all around the country," reads a statement released on Pastebin. "We strongly recommend and invite you to check it out. You may find out your neighbour or best friend is a dumbass Neo-Nazi."

Ulla Pyysalo, a parliamentary aid who worked for True Finns MP Juho Eerola, said she would resign after her name appeared on the list that Anonymous published on Pastebin last week.

The hacker collective also hinted at further releases of information. "We published the info of 16,000 people, yet do you think every hacker announces everything they have hacked? We certainly have not, as we sit on a larger amount of info that have been leaked." They also issued a strong statement to the neo-Nazi website: "We demand SVK to cease its social and net activities and dissolve immediately. Should it not happen, we will continue to carry out attacks to its website in the form we will find more appropriate for our intentions."

The group hit the news one again late last month after publishing the personal details of Boston's police officers and other law enforcement personnel in response to the mass arrests and brutality at the Occupy Boston protests on October 1. The Finnish National Bureau of Investigation has launched an investigation on the matter.

Permalink to story.

Punishing everyone for the actions of a few. I believe that is called collective responsibility.

Hm. Sounds familiar. Who exactly used that to punish their enemies...oh yeah, the Nazis.

Ironic.

Not to make light of it, but pulling a Godwin on post 1 is impressive.

Hey Annonymous, do something productive and that actually matters. This sucks.

Freedom of Information in my opinion is always a good thing.

"We strongly recommend and invite you to check it out. You may find out your neighbour or best friend is a ******* Neo-Nazi."

I would rather have the resources available to check than not.

Guest said:
Not to make light of it, but pulling a Godwin on post 1 is impressive.

If they didn't hack a Neo-Nazi website, I'd agree with you.

But they did, so I consider the comparison more valid to the point and less Godwin-esque.

If you're going to oppose a bunch of people for espousing Nazi ideals, it probably would not help to use the same tactics yourself.

Did someone edit the naughty word from my earlier reply?

Its copy and pasted the from the original story!

How elitist! Im phoning anonymous :) hehe

OMG! 16,000 Nazis not only still exist, but some even have gov jobs!
Thank god their info is out there...i'd rather know who'll be the next person creating concentration camps and committing genocide.

Thank you Anonymous

Guest said:
OMG! 16,000 Nazis not only still exist, but some even have gov jobs!
Thank god their info is out there...i'd rather know who'll be the next person creating concentration camps and committing genocide.

Thank you Anonymous

All 16k were not from the neo-Nazi site. The article clearly states that the names were gathered from many sources, only some from the neo-Nazi website.

Why ? Are you afraid that your name may show up ? Thumbs up for Anon, they sure know how to deal the pain !

Guest said:
Why ? Are you afraid that your name may show up ? Thumbs up for Anon, they sure know how to deal the pain !

... Until Anon decides an organization that you're affiliated with is 'bad.' Then you may end up changing your tune.

DokkRokken said:
Guest said:

... Until Anon decides an organization that you're affiliated with is 'bad.' Then you may end up changing your tune.

Doesn't even have to be that. Some of these 16,000 were posted to get back at the sites that were hosting the information and had poor security. Like if you oppose Wal Mart's corporate policies, and you start shooting greeters.

This is the worst kind of hypocrisy. Did any gov't officials who are in charge of these things get their info posted? The executives running these companies? Any official documents? No. Just innocent people (again, not talking about the Neo-Nazis). The politicians already don't give a **** about the people, what are they going to care if the information of the people gets exposed? This does absolutely NOTHING to change things, except make the lives of thousands of people more difficult, especially when you get children left behind with no reading comprehension skills assuming all 16,000 are neonazis.

And the freaking sheep pop up here praising anyonymous for fighting the good fight.

All you Anon supporters are going to tell me that if Anon hacked some website that you happened to have your personal information on, and posted it, you would not be bothered, and applaud the fact that they struck another blow against the man? You all would really be ok with having your name and SSN out there for anyone to read, and it would be fine? I call BS on that. This is just the same hypocrisy - its ok for other people's information, but I guarantee you all would be the ones bitching the loudest if you were the one it happened to.

Back