Anonymous reveals personal information of 4,000 U.S. bank executives

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Members of the loose knit hacker collective Anonymous have published a spreadsheet that claims to contain personal information on more than 4,000 US bank executives as part of an ongoing campaign called Operation Last Resort. The group’s latest efforts are designed to provoke computer crime law reform following the suicide of Internet activist Aaron Swartz last month.

Anonymous reportedly hacked into the Alabama Criminal Justice Information Center’s website over the weekend and used the site to host the spreadsheet. The document in question contains the names, phone numbers, computer login credentials and IP addresses of bank executives across the country. ZDNet says the names in the dump match those of current executives at community banks and credit unions.

anonymous hacking credentials bank executives

According to a post from the Twitter account for Operation Last Resort, the credentials in question were obtained from Federal Reserve computers. When contacted for comment by the Huffington Post, a spokesperson refused to comment on the group’s claims nor would they confirm if a statement was forthcoming.

As Gizmodo points out, Operation Last Resort surfaced last month but up to this point, the group hadn’t acted on any of their threats. Anonymous as a whole, however, has been pretty successful as of late. The group was able to overtake MIT websites in memory of Swartz and on a more humorous note, let web surfers blast US government websites via a game of Asteroids using a Nyan Cat spaceship.

Permalink to story.

You ever wish that a group would just go away? Just decide one day to pack it up and move on to something... You know... Productive?

Imo Anonymous just does too much too soon. Certainly history has shown us that there comes a time when law breaking is our only option. As Jefferson said, "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure". However, that time has not come. We still have legal processes set in place that can and do work to effect change in the government. What Anonymous currently does will just cause governments to clamp down tighter and tighter.
On a side note, if the day ever comes in my lifetime where the people are forced to set aside laws in pursuit of liberty I certainly would like to count on a group like Anonymous to be there ;)

While I agree with Ranger12 to some extent, I believe the true problem is that anon isnt actually accomplishing anything except pissing off the government. They arent working around its downfall or trying to fix it or anything, simply pissing it off. And I feel WE will be the ones to pay for it.

Let me define anon for you guys: not a group but an idea, The idea is Defend freedom on all fronts and redistribute power where needed, anyone you know could be a part of anonymous. That means they are a freedom fighter.

I believe anon is acting appropriately. Bankers pay farmers to not grow food when over 50,000,000, people starve to death. While the resting of us living are drinking coke and pepsi with fetus's in them and aspertane to slowly kill us. And from anons last hack they discovered America was planning on giving syrian rebels chemical weapons to suddenly start a holy war. Believe me or not I do not care

Let me define anon for you guys: not a group but an idea, The idea is Defend freedom on all fronts and redistribute power where needed, anyone you know could be a part of anonymous. That means they are a freedom fighter.

Yes, because we all know that faceless, holier-than-thou organizations are paragons of benevolence.

The difference between Anon and "evil [insert group here]" is that Anon plays to a lower common denominator than banksters, politicians, and other elites.

Good. Good for them. This will perhaps teach a lesson to the greedy bank execs who think that adding "small" fees and all kind of bogus charges is OK.....Uh, its not. For all of you that hate Anonymous, I guess you are all OK with corruption and greed. Shame.

Yes, because we all know that faceless, holier-than-thou organizations are paragons of benevolence.

The difference between Anon and "evil [insert group here]" is that Anon plays to a lower common denominator than banksters, politicians, and other elites.

Well anyone that doesn't act on anonymous(s) core principles simply aren't part of anon

I believe anon is acting appropriately. Bankers pay farmers to not grow food when over 50,000,000, people starve to death. While the resting of us living are drinking coke and pepsi with fetus's in them and aspertane to slowly kill us. And from anons last hack they discovered America was planning on giving syrian rebels chemical weapons to suddenly start a holy war. Believe me or not I do not care

Yikes! Please tell me you're not a product of America's public school system.

spencer Have you ever been to their website? If not, I encourage you to visit it and read their statement of "core principles." Anyone fighting for anything can be a part of anon, so long as they have a sufficient knowledge of the selling points of their chosen ideology. Their platform is also exactly the same as every single political entity on the face of the earth: freedom, prosperity, security, and the redistribution of power to those who deserve it from those who don't.

If that last thought sounds familiar, it's because it's been used by every hack-job/oppressive political party in history. Anon just doesn't have the conviction or mental fortitude (see: courage) to show up on the battlefield without an invisibility cloak.

ANON is no better then what they claim to fight. They claim to fight for freedom yet they themselves censor for their own ends. They claim to redistribute power, yet the same ppl are in power that were there before. I agree with a previous poster. Anon does the deeds but its the ppl who use the web that are the ones punished. Information is power only when it empowers the uninformed. Anon hasnt given us anything new with this information. We KNOW bank executives are crooked. We DONT like it, but we have to live in the real world. Unfortunatly. Anon is a nice idea on paper but the execution of the same idea leaves a lot to be desired. Perhaps the ANON leadership needs to understand that they are damaging not only the freedoms the claim to protect but the same ppl they claim to be fighting for. Untill they understand this and start actually acting in the direction they claim to be going in, I will sit here and put no more stock into their actions. They are their own problem, they need to fight themselves.

Why is Techspot reporting crimes as though they are human interest stories?

"We KNOW bank executives are crooked."

No, we DON'T KNOW bank executives are crooked. Simply because you don't like banks or banking executives does not automatically turn them into criminals or robber barons. However, I agree with everything else you said, Tygerstrike.

No, we DON'T KNOW bank executives are crooked. Simply because you don't like banks or banking executives does not automatically turn them into criminals or robber barons. However, I agree with everything else you said, Tygerstrike.

As for myself I know bankers are corrupt because I am AWAKE, but anon of which is an entity of which has no leadership just an idea, The idea is not corrupt but the people that use the name anon to do corrupt things give it a bad name. to respond earlier to davis:yes I have and they don't show up on a battlefield because every on battlefield both sides of each battlefield in the last 100 years has been funded by the same darn banks.

As for myself I know bankers are corrupt because I am AWAKE, but anon of which is an entity of which has no leadership just an idea, The idea is not corrupt but the people that use the name anon to do corrupt things give it a bad name. to respond earlier to davis:yes I have and they don't show up on a battlefield because every on battlefield both sides of each battlefield in the last 100 years has been funded by the same darn banks.

Sorry because you say they're corrupt because you're awake is irrelevant. Have any bank executives listed the names of private citizens so that they may be denigrated publicly? I believe if they did such a thing they would be primarily sued.

Corruption and vice for the sake of fighting perceived corruption and vice. Such is the moralism of our times.

Its a simple concept. Ppl in power tend to be in power not because they were "nice". But because they screwed over anyone every chance they got. Its called common sense. It tends to be a super power now a days. My super power is telling me that for every one single person who is rich or powerful, a hundred or more ppl got shafted for them to be as such. And its spread across many many industries. Banking, music, electric company ect. So for someone to sit back and claim that anyone else a dislike for Bankers ect, they must be asleep or dead. At the very least not as wise as the think they are.

MilwaukeeMike

Your punctuation isn't perfect either, although yes I am.

I didn't proofread my post on a tech website cause I happened to not give a ...

Who was talking about your punctuation? I was referring to your crazy, wild ideas with no basis in fact.

You can't throw out a blanket statement like 'Bank Execs are corrupt' (Yes. I know you didn't say it first, but you agree with it). Nothing is that absolute, and it discredits anything else you say. Like when you say the same bank has been funding both sides of every battlefield. Unless you mean banks give money to both mortgage lenders and borrows maybe.

I'm glad you're 'awake'. The coming years as you move into your 20's you'll learn (hopefully) that in order to think about and discuss issues like this must you understand the limits of your own knowledge. Or maybe I'm wrong and you know all bank execs are corrupt because you've been a C-level employee at a few major US banks over the last 30 years.

All I know is you've devolved this discussion from one about Anon into 'They deserved it' and now we're all arguing about nonsense.

Its a simple concept. Ppl in power tend to be in power not because they were "nice". But because they screwed over anyone every chance they got. Its called common sense. It tends to be a super power now a days. My super power is telling me that for every one single person who is rich or powerful, a hundred or more ppl got shafted for them to be as such. And its spread across many many industries. Banking, music, electric company ect. So for someone to sit back and claim that anyone else a dislike for Bankers ect, they must be asleep or dead. At the very least not as wise as the think they are.

Funny, my common sense tells me that someone who is very intelligent and driven can build something that becomes large and successful. I believe it's very possible to create wealth. Wealth and success is not a 'pie' where in order to have some it must be taken from someone else.

So if one is a banker one is necessarily corrupt? I'd love to hear the rational behind that conclusion. "I'm awake" is hardly a case for typing an entire group.

Also, you misunderstood my battlefield metaphor. I'm specifically talking about the faceless promotion of the Anon worldview on the idealogical battlefield. Real activists put a face to an idea and operate within the law; Anon does neither. Violating property and individual rights over the internet in the name of the greater good is nothing more than feigning virtue with cheap parlor tricks.

I know quite a bit of people who are poor and broke and can screw people without blinking an eye. Screwing people and having power are not synonymous. This is the problem that groups like Anonymous and folks like yourself and spencer have. If someone is rich and powerful, well, there is only way that could happen and it is by sticking it to some little guy. Of course, there is no evidence to back up your claim other than your own prejudice. Which, I guess, is all that the group Anonymous needs to hack into and release the records of 4,000 PEOPLE (just calling them bank executives dehumanizes them) even though they have no information as to whether any of them acted crookedly at minimum.

@CMB
I wont argue the mechanics nor symantics in any of this. You choose to see them as innocent. I however had to deal with similar executives. They may not ALL be as bad as they are made out to be, but most are. Its not prejudice. Its experience. Yes what ANON has done is wrong. Releasing that level of personal information is wrong for anyone to do. However, while I do not subscribe to ANON nor its practices, I do see why they would do so. As for the Bankers themselves, Im 100% sure they wont be loosing any real sleep over Anons tactics. They will just insulate themselves in their giant homes with their super security systems, maybe guards, and continue to fleece the American consumer for every dime they can get. This information that ANON has released does nothing except point out yet another industry that has been screwing us.

@CMB
I wont argue the mechanics nor symantics in any of this. You choose to see them as innocent. I however had to deal with similar executives. They may not ALL be as bad as they are made out to be, but most are. Its not prejudice. Its experience. Yes what ANON has done is wrong. Releasing that level of personal information is wrong for anyone to do. However, while I do not subscribe to ANON nor its practices, I do see why they would do so. As for the Bankers themselves, Im 100% sure they wont be loosing any real sleep over Anons tactics. They will just insulate themselves in their giant homes with their super security systems, maybe guards, and continue to fleece the American consumer for every dime they can get. This information that ANON has released does nothing except point out yet another industry that has been screwing us.

I don't choose to see them as anything as guilty or innocent. I don't know any of them and none of them did something to me personally. The bankers do a job and some may have performed poorly while others performed fine. Why stroke with a broad brush simply because they work in an industry you don't like? How do you know that these executives live in massive homes with guards? My brother-in-law, an executive for the phone company, makes north of $150,000 a year with benefits and other perks and he has to rent a home for his family because where he lives the homes are still too expensive for him to buy. I don't know what these executives can afford; it is fundamentally wrong to harm people because your own prejudices cloud your judgement and deem to be all bad. Whatever happened to the concept of tolerance?

Back