Another Netbook Headache - XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXCellR8

Once again my sister has managed to turn her MSI Wind U-100 into a useless paperweight. She let the computer die and now it displays a BSOD that disappears before I can read it. I know there is a root directory mentioned but it literally only appears for a split second and then the computer restarts. Safe mode doesn't work and I can't run any CD/DVD tools because it has no optical drive.

I'd like to perform a repair install but since I can't use an OEM CD-ROM I'm kinda stuck. I had to reformat and reinstall XP using a USB flash drive in the past but when I launch that up it doesn't give me the option to repair install the OS. I also can't run chkdsk or anything like that from the pen drive either.

I did a little searching and it seems I can use the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows on a USB drive by using PE2USB but that sure seems like a lot of work. I was just wondering if I was overlooking something more obvious, or if someone else could recommend me an alternate solution... other than stepping on it which I am considering at this point :)

Thanks in advance

Okay so it turns out that the blue screen was flagging a registry entry, which one exactly remains a mystery, but I was able to fix it. I had to borrow a friend's external DVD drive so I could run chkdsk (i got sick of trying it with USB flash drives) and it sorted it out. I think that may be the first time running that actually fixed something but at least I didn't have to reformat that worthless thing again.

Now that it's working you might want to disable the automatic restart when you get the bluescreen, you know, for next time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back