Another slow computer, please help with HijackThis log

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old computer (2001) that has to last a little longer, but has slowed down to a snail's pace. I have XP Home edition and It now takes 30 minutes to boot up. All I want to come up in the quick start toolbar down at the bottom right is the volume control, hardware removal, and McAffee virus scan. I run Ad-Aware, AVG, and Spybot on a regular basis but the computer continues to slow down. Attached is a copy of the registry log and it has exploded since the last time I ran HijackThis. I would appreciate any help that would make my computer run somewhere as fast as it used to.

Attachments

• hijackthis.log7-25-09.txt
    9.2 KB · Views: 9
I don't know if this is all your problem but it looks like you're running 2 anti-virus programs actively (AVG & MaCafee). That will sure slow a machine down big time. Pick the one you like, then uninstall the other. I pick Avira, but that's just me.

I second CaptainCranky... Avira has a better chance of detecting some of the evils than does AVG or McAfee... and also Spybot doesn't do much except remove cookies... you would likely benefit from both the free SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes.

But the likely candidate from where we sit is the age of the computer. If you have had that drive in there since 2001, it has likely gone bad and must be replaced. A slow drive that is older than three or four years is very often worn out, and your data is at risk.

You may have very little time left, if it is old. Save your important data now... to a cd, flash drive, or some other backup source.

If you have installed Internet Explorer 8.0, that, too, can be a cause for the slow down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back