Any point upgrading from i5 4570?

CMH

Been using this machine for awhile, and haven't really been keeping up with computer developments.

Computer primarily used for gaming.

Looking at specs, it seems like there's not much performance improvements to be had to a i5-7400. Or am I missing something?

If your PC is playing the games you want without any issue than there really is no need to upgrade. I have a 6 year old i5-3570 Ivy Bridge CPU and a Nvidia GTX 970 video card that I installed 3 months ago replacing my AMD 6950 that I ran for 5 years and 8 months. The reason I swapped out my video cards was only to be able to play Skyrim Special Edition which requires a stronger card. Otherwise there were no issues whatsoever. So, again, if you are happy with how your cpu is working then, IMO, you have no need to change it out. Also, gaming is still GPU intensive but with the way video cards are so very overpriced it would be good to wait until they start coming down in $.

Yeah... I play factorio, it is a CPU intensive game, although I do have to build quite large to reach the limits.

I usually upgrade every 3-5 years, and this is about the longest time I've gone without upgrading so I'm just looking around to see if it's worth doing so.

From what I can see there's no point, and I'd be much better off just spending that on a new graphics card when a shiny new game is out that requires it (even if the CPU would bottleneck it a little).

I want to recommend an excellent YouTube video series called Gamers Nexus. The presenter is very balanced and they are testing the new CPUs along with everything hardware that you can imagine. And, yes, my current system is an Intel but the new AMD offerings cannot be overlooked. They have done very, very well with their new Ryzen series. Keep us updated please on what you eventually decide.

Well, factorio is a very heavy single-threaded game so unfortunately AMD would be out of contention immediately. It is a special game in which it is very heavily dependent on the bus speed (at very late game that is).

Which is partly why I'm tempted to upgrade as the bus speed has more or less doubled from the 4570 to the 7xxx series, but spending all that money on a single game seems a bit much.

I'll just hold on for awhile, maybe revisit in the 8xxx series.

I'll just hold on for awhile, maybe revisit in the 8xxx series.
I'm thinking the same as I continue using my Sandy Bridge i7 2600. There are times I could use a bit more memory than 8GB. But the 2600 paired with a GTX 660 suits me just fine.

O_o what at damn 400.00 dollars ? this is why I decided to move on to the LGA 1151 socket route.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CO8TBNS/?tag=httpwwwtechsp-20
I had this 4570 all last year its really a great cpu at maximum high gaming settings.
Being deadlocked to OC 3.5ghz wasn't all that great either.
@CMH if you're not afraid to sell your mobo,cpu,ram as a combo, sell them off and add on 200 bucks.
CPU prices are affordable enough to buy until late june through the end of august.
Thats when the prices for cpus will sky rocket.

Hmm.. why is there price increase forecasted?

God only knows why you would think by now after a couple of years that price tag would have dipped dramatically.
If newegg & amazon can make money off of it throughout the year, I see why they're trying to keep it like that but its a very dumb move.

God only knows why you would think by now after a couple of years that price tag would have dipped dramatically.
If newegg & amazon can make money off of it throughout the year, I see why they're trying to keep it like that but its a very dumb move.

"There is a price increase coming because semiconductor prices are going up"
"There is a price increase because Christmas is coming up"
"There is a price increase because xxx"

Instead, you go into a rant about why prices won't be coming down. Nice.

"There is a price increase coming because semiconductor prices are going up"
"There is a price increase because Christmas is coming up"
"There is a price increase because xxx"

Instead, you go into a rant about why prices won't be coming down. Nice.

Just wow you know that ? Shopping for any computer components is like the stock market.
Just know when to expect prices to go up and down.
Pretty much you'll snag a good deal if you look hard enough.
Otherwise just go ahead and pay higher and don't listen to me.

Well, factorio is a very heavy single-threaded game so unfortunately AMD would be out of contention immediately. It is a special game in which it is very heavily dependent on the bus speed (at very late game that is)....[ ]....
You haven't told us what you're using as your C:/ drive, nor do you have your rig listed on your profile page.

I don't want to say anything too stupid or obvious, but if bus speed is terribly important, and the game is mostly single thread, I would think that your best single upgrade would be an M.2 pci-e SSD.

I honestly don't know if your mobo has provisions for said type of SSD, (or if you have one), but I would think if it doesn't, that would be a primary reason for upgrading, more important than the CPU clock.

Last edited:
if you already have an i5 4570 and you want a GTX 1080, I'd say go for it. If you're looking to build from scratch, your best bet is to spend the extra cash on a processor. Reason being, games (from what I've heard) are utilizing CPU's more and you'll have less of a reason to upgrade later down the road.
Side note: I know WoW isn't the best example, but I feel as if my PC will be able to handle most (if not all) games in the next few years because crowded major cities are no joke in that game.

Somone hit nail on the coffin, thats pretty much why I stepped up from the 4570.
I plan on going with intels hexa-core in march or april of next year.
The cpu nowadays is the real meat inside any desktop/laptop computer.
You could have a new wonderfull gpu thats pretty powerfull, stick it with an older generation cpus from the past.
It'll choke up and start to bottleneck if not just bring it down to a crashing halt with slow laggyness in games.

Back