May I be overvolting my CPU despite disabling Asus APE in BIOS?

Hi everybody!! My PC specs are as follows:

1. Core i5-13400F (stock)
Arctic Cooling i35
2 x 16 GB DDR5 Kingston Fury Beast (XMP1-5200 CL40)
SSD1: 1TB WD_BLACK SN770 NVMe
SSD2: 480GB Kingston A400
ASUS TUF Gaming B760-Plus Wifi
PNY GeForce GTX 1660 XLR8
Gigabyte UD750GM PG5 750W ATX 3.0 PCIe 5.0
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64

I am aware of reports regarding Intel Core 13th and 14th Gen unlocked desktop processors experiencing issues with certain games, especially crashes during the shader compilation process. I know this would not be my case because I have a locked i5, but I do know too that these issues are, in many cases, related to certain default BIOS settings that unlock CPU’s current and power limits. The point is my BIOS comes with APE 3.0 (Asus Performance Enhancement) setting enabled by default, and Asus itself warns the user about it not following Intel guidelines regarding power limits.

Having heard about the problem, I disabled it, but even when it disabled, ICCmax setting remains at 500A, which seems rather excessive to me. The problem is that I have no way of changing it: the feature is greyed out, be it in the BIOS, be it in XTU application.

First, I have to clarify than I am NOT currently having any issues with my system, but I have been using my PC during 2 months with APE setting enabled, and I prefer being cautious than being sorry later. My question is simple: should I be worried about harming my CPU in the long term?

I attach some BIOS screenshots below.

Thx in advance!

Attachments

• 240425162909.jpg
    240425162909.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 2
  • 240425163007.jpg
    240425163007.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 240425163023.jpg
    240425163023.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 240425163107.jpg
    240425163107.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 240425163121.jpg
    240425163121.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 2
Based on the screenshots, there's a chance your CPU might be overvolting, especially considering the following:
  • High ICCmax: The 500.0A value for CPU Core/Cache Current Limit Max in the "Ai Tweaker\Internal CPU Power Management" section (image 4) is high. While it doesn't directly confirm overvolting, it suggests a possibility of excess power being delivered to the CPU.
  • Missing Core Voltage Value: Unfortunately, the core voltage value wasn't visible in any of the screenshots, particularly those from the "Ai Tweaker" section (images 2 or 3). This value is crucial to determine if the voltage supplied to your CPU is exceeding safe limits.

Here are some recommendations to investigate further:
  1. Check Core Voltage: If possible, try to find the core voltage setting (e.g., Vcore) and its current value within the "Ai Tweaker" section of the BIOS. Compare this value to the recommended voltage for your specific Intel Core i5-13400F CPU. You can find this information on the Intel website or through online resources.
  2. Review ASUS Documentation: Consult the ASUS motherboard manual or website for recommendations on safe voltage ranges for your CPU on the TUF Gaming B760-Plus Wifi motherboard.
  3. Update BIOS: Updating the BIOS to the latest version from ASUS might offer more control over voltage settings or address any voltage regulation issues.
If you're unsure about making BIOS adjustments or comfortable with the current settings, it's best to consult a technician or contact ASUS support. They can help you determine if the current voltage is safe for your CPU or guide you on adjusting settings to achieve a more balanced approach between performance and voltage.

Even though you haven't experienced any stability issues yet, long-term overvolting can potentially degrade your CPU lifespan. Disabling Asus Performance Enhancement (APE) in BIOS was a good step, but some settings might still be influencing voltage control.
By following these recommendations and using the information from the BIOS screenshots, you should be able to determine if your CPU is overvolting and take appropriate actions to address it if necessary.

Thx for your repply, Nelson28. I am unable to find the Vcore setting in BIOS: there is a lot of info about RAM/memory controller voltage, but only current core CPU voltage is shown (the value at the side bar in every screenshot). And related to intel specs, I have checked intel website about my CPU and default Vcore info is missing.
I have run an OCCT CPU stress test and HWiNFO64 reports a max value of 1.217.The following screenshots show HWiNFO64 sensors during the stress test and during standby.

Attachments

• HWiNFO (standby).jpg
    HWiNFO (standby).jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 1
  • HWiNFO (OCCT stress test).jpg
    HWiNFO (OCCT stress test).jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 1
I think I finally found the safe voltage ranges for my CPU

Attachments

• 13th Generation Intel® Core™ and Intel® Core™ 14th Generation Processors Datasheet, Volume 1 o...png
    13th Generation Intel® Core™ and Intel® Core™ 14th Generation Processors Datasheet, Volume 1 o...png
    232.5 KB · Views: 1
Back