Anybody else get emails with a re: subject line and pif attachments?

4511Tech

I have got at least a dozen wthin the last 2 weeks. It may have a re: subject but i never sent mail to them to reply. It has also sent email notification failures to me and at bottom it said check the attached files for more info....

I read an artical that said the last couple of weeks 1 out of 17 emails had a virus. It was in the St.Petersburg Times.
:confused: :confused: :dead:

You've been e-mailed a variant of the sobig virus.

Story here.

And here.

You can check if you have this virus with this:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sobig.f@mm.removal.tool.html

page to help you.

But, if you don't open the attachments inside the e-mails, you won't get infected.

NEVER open an attachment from someone whom you don't know to be a trusted source.

Always read the subject line and other details before opening an attachment inside any e-mail.

Its probably best to delete any e-mails that you get that have these matching subjects, etc, as in the artcles I linked to above.

I heard this virus can also come from people you know. So, just don't open any .pif or .src or the works.

On notes of other viruses, don't open anything with double extensions like (for ex.) loveyou.exe.pce

Originally posted by XtR-X
I heard this virus can also come from people you know.

Most of them can come from people you know. One of the first things most viruses do is find your address book and email a copy of itself to everyone in it.

I'm not going to repeat what everyone said, ok well sort of. Just think a bit before you go opening attachments, unless you are expecting one from someone, AND you recognise the file format just dont' open it. Giving it a bit of thought before opening things will save you on ALOT of virii.

Back