Apple denies its acknowledgement that iPad Pros are prone to bending, says they're perfect

mongeese

Staff
In context: Apple’s latest iPad is ahead of the curve in terms of features and design, but that didn’t prevent it from having certain issues with curves. Almost immediately after its release, it became apparent the device was bending in everyday use and could come slightly bent out of the box. Just a few days ago, we reported that Apple had acknowledged the controversy and claimed it was “normal” in a statement to the Verge. But, wait...

Apple has revealed they never made that statement to the Verge, and apparently, the Verge placed unofficial quotations from Apple employees out of context. Most of the information is still believed to be factual, however, such as Apple’s claim that the iPad Pro hasn’t seen above average return rates.

Quite a few people messaged Apple support regarding the matter, and they all got very similar email responses from Apple’s Senior Vice president of Hardware Engineering Dan Riccio. Here’s one such response that MacRumors received.

“Relative to the issue you referenced regarding the new iPad Pro, its unibody design meets or exceeds all of Apple's high-quality standards of design and precision manufacturing. We've carefully engineered it and every part of the manufacturing process is precisely measured and controlled.

Our current specification for iPad Pro flatness is up to 400 microns which is even tighter than previous generations. This 400-micron variance is less than half a millimetre (or the width of fewer than four sheets of paper at most) and this level of flatness won't change during normal use over the lifetime of the product. Note, these slight variations do not affect the function of the device in any way.

Again, thanks for reaching out and I hope the above explanation addresses your concerns.”

The email went on to imply that Apple would issue a formal statement to news outlets by the end of yesterday. That hasn’t occurred yet, so we’ve decided to publish this article without it, but we’ll provide an update when they do.

Of course, if you haven’t noticed already, there are some very bold claims in the email. “Flatness is up to 400 microns” – tell that to the users whose iPad Pros were bent several millimetres out of the box. Equally as suspicious is the claim that the “level of flatness won’t change during normal use.” While normal use is tricky to define (intentionally, no doubt), many reports of iPad Pros bending after being kept in a backpack for a week can be found online.

In the end, though, the iPad Pros have a very serious Achilles’ heel, and Apple is unlikely to do anything about it. But if everyone keeps reminding Apple about the issue, they might just fix it for their next iPad.

Permalink to story.

Am I the only one who knows that I'm not supposed to sit on my iPhone or place my iPad haphazardly in purses, book bags and other places where extreme stress and forces are unpredictable?

If I was apple I'd ignore all of these people and keep building my product. If they don't like it, they can go buy some of that android stuff.

I expect my apple products to be thinner, lighter and higher quality materials than the competition. I wouldn't mistreat an expensive watch or piece of jewelry so why would I let a kid hold a $600 tablet or dunk my $1600 phone in the toilet?

At some point these companies need to grow a spine and tell stupid people to stop being stupid.

There used to be a sign on the side of packages that said that "this product isn't meant for use by people younger than 13" - basically saying "this isn't a toy...this is expensive".

And now I live in a world with lackluster parents who hand their children expensive devices and then act surprised when they get broken.

It makes me cringe when I see 3 year olds with iPads.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who knows that I'm not supposed to sit on my iPhone or place my iPad haphazardly in purses, book bags and other places where extreme stress and forces are unpredictable?
I bought an iPad as a pillow to sit on. It's what they're for.

Seriously now, nobody sits on an iPad and than complains that it bends. It's just weak as **** build quality.
If I was apple I'd ignore all of these people and keep building my product. If they don't like it, they can go buy some of that android stuff.

You really have a thing for business, just ignore customers complaining and tell them go buy something else (while they already paid for the product). That will surely drive the stock up to the heavens. Just look up what happened to BF5 when a developer told it's fanbase to not buy the game.

I expect my apple products to be thinner, lighter and higher quality materials than the competition. I wouldn't mistreat an expensive watch or piece of jewelry so why would I let a kid hold a $600 tablet or dunk my $1600 phone in the toilet?
Can't have all of that. You expect high quality but it's absolute dog **** quality. It's made to be frail so I guess they dissapointed you in that sense. What makes you think it's only kids who destroy them? And even if they were kids what difference does that make, it's a product for everyone, right?

At some point these companies need to grow a spine and tell stupid people to stop being stupid.
Stupid people can't be told to not be stupid cause they're stupid. Growing a spine would also mean companies would stop lying to people about the specs of their products and stop with all the bullshit to trick people into thinking their product is better than it is and hiding it's flaws with shady marketing practices.

There used to be a sign on the side of packages that said that "this product isn't meant for use by people younger than 13" - basically saying "this isn't a toy...this is expensive".

And now I live in a world with lackluster parents who hand their children expensive devices and then act surprised when they get broken.

If you don't like people getting dumber and more careless remember that iPads are made to enable people to be stupid.

In the end, though, the iPad Pros have a very serious Achilles’ heel, and Apple is unlikely to do anything about it
Oh but I bet they will. They will call it a feature, hike the prices further up, and deny any impropriety. By Apple standard, that is not nothing.

It's' there first generation bendable display, but the warranty dosen't cover bending back .......

Well tablets are primarily stored in backpacks and bags. I have several tablets and none of them have ever bent from being carried around in my backpack with my camera gear. Fact of the matter is that tablets far cheaper than this DON'T bend in situations far more extreme. This is inexcusable, I don't understand why you're defending apple in this, especially at this price point.

This time it isn't a case of people being stupid. The new iPad pros have a bending issue, mostly due to the lack of a rigid internal structure.

They really are fragile I have the first generation iPad pro. I have it in a padded case and tempered glass screen protector , they have all cracked haven’t bought one that has lasted and I’ve tried at least 5 different brans.Yes it bends easy you have to be very careful with it. But to be fair I haven’t had any experience with the new one.

It makes me cringe when I see 3 year olds with iPads.[/QUOTE

You are Apple's favorite kind of customer. Someone who will put up with their ****, no matter what.

My main problem with this issue is the verbal gymnastics that Apple plays again. Their standard M.O. is to deflect by dazzling us with their explanation of how precisely their products are assembled, while never admitting there's anything wrong.

From what used to be such a tightly run company, their quality control is garbage now in both hardware and software. Justify it however you want, confidence is just about every one of their devices is falling apart.

If Steve Jobs were still around, I am sure he would be telling everyone "You're holding it wrong!"

I expect my apple products to be thinner, lighter and higher quality materials than the competition.

This. Now I can't take your whole comment seriously, I'm not sure if it's sarcasm or trolling but your mentality is in line with Apple PR's, so no need for that "if I were Apple..." nonsense.

This. Now I can't take your whole comment seriously, I'm not sure if it's sarcasm or trolling but your mentality is in line with Apple PR's, so no need for that "if I were Apple..." nonsense.
Apple is promoting their products on those terms and parameters, and therefore the products should posess the qualities as advertised. So how so "trolling"?

The simple fact here is, you can only make these thing so thin before they take on a bit of fragility.

I suppose you could say the Apple haters are bernding them on purpose, and that's as may be. But other have had theirs bend from mishandling. What is obvious is, that they don't bend themselves.

Once upon a time, on "The Johnny Carson Show", he would purposely take sledge hammers to products advertised as being "indestructable". Nothing really stood up to those hammers.

The Timex corporation would do crazy sh!t like strap their watches to outboard motor propellors, fire the motor up, and show that the watches had survived the experience. The tag line was, "Timex watches, they take a licking and keep on ticking".

People today think they're entirled to smartphones which can be dropped out a 5th story window, and not have the glass break.

But IMHO, people today are imbeciles, who were never taught to properly take care of their toys.

Products should function first rather than just be pretty to look at. I have an Ipad air first generation that I have thrown around my backpack for 4 years and it still works great. It also doesn't bend that easy because guess what they made sure it was sturdy. This obsession with thinness is absolutely stupid if you can't even take your new $1000 product around without having to baby the thing. Dropping a phone out of a 5 story building isn't the same as putting an Ipad through a reasonable daily task(throwing it into your bag isn't unreasonable) and it failing spectacularly while doing so.

I bought an iPad as a pillow to sit on. It's what they're for.

Seriously now, nobody sits on an iPad and than complains that it bends. It's just weak as **** build quality.

You really have a thing for business, just ignore customers complaining and tell them go buy something else (while they already paid for the product). That will surely drive the stock up to the heavens. Just look up what happened to BF5 when a developer told it's fanbase to not buy the game.

Can't have all of that. You expect high quality but it's absolute dog **** quality. It's made to be frail so I guess they dissapointed you in that sense. What makes you think it's only kids who destroy them? And even if they were kids what difference does that make, it's a product for everyone, right?

Stupid people can't be told to not be stupid cause they're stupid. Growing a spine would also mean companies would stop lying to people about the specs of their products and stop with all the bullshit to trick people into thinking their product is better than it is and hiding it's flaws with shady marketing practices.

If you don't like people getting dumber and more careless remember that iPads are made to enable people to be stupid.

You sir are a true champion. Thank you for your great use of sarcasm.

...[ ]... Dropping a phone out of a 5 story building isn't the same as putting an Ipad through a reasonable daily task(throwing it into your bag isn't unreasonable) and it failing spectacularly while doing so.
As you may, (or possibly may not :confused: ), have guessed the 5 story building was an intentional hyperbole on my part.

But the issue with thinness is, at least in part, a chicken or the egg, paradigm.

Apple will do anything for your money, and customers will spend almost any amount for the privilege, pride, and status, of owning their crap. It's a cut and dried, recipe for disaster.

...[ ]... Dropping a phone out of a 5 story building isn't the same as putting an Ipad through a reasonable daily task(throwing it into your bag isn't unreasonable) and it failing spectacularly while doing so.
As you may, (or possibly may not :confused: ), have guessed the 5 story building was an intentional hyperbole on my part.

But the issue with thinness is, at least in part, a chicken or the egg, paradigm.

Apple will do anything for your money, and customers will spend almost any amount for the privilege, pride, and status, of owning their crap. It's a cut and dried, recipe for disaster.
For the gullible and terminally posh consumer. ;)

@wiyosaya. That's pretty much what I thought it was. Although, I am a bit surprised by the source.

It pretty much describes my next door neighbor to a T. Trouble is, he's dirt poor, and couldn't pass a 5th grade reading exam. On of these days I should make myself a doormat out of eggshells.

Back