Apple is prepping a trio of new iPhones for 2019, one with three rear cameras

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: Apple for years has influenced the direction of the smartphone industry. As we settle into 2019, eyes are once again turning to the Cupertino tech giant to get a feel for where it plans to take the iPhone this fall.

Apple is planning to launch three new iPhone models later this year according to sources familiar with the matter as reported by The Wall Street Journal.

One of the new handsets will be a successor to the struggling iPhone XR, the entry-level device Apple introduced in 2018 with an LCD screen. The high-end 2019 iPhone will reportedly feature three rear-facing cameras, we’re told, while the other phones will have two rear shooters.

Sony last month said it was ramping up production of next-gen 3D sensors for mobile cameras after having received interest from manufacturing partners.

In an ideal world, Apple probably wouldn’t launch an entry-level device in 2019 but because the LCD iPhone has been in the product pipeline for so long, abandoning it at this stage would make even less sense, the sources suggested.

Come 2020, Apple could drop the LCD model and shift its entire iPhone line to OLED displays, some of the people said.

Apple, like other handset makers, has been grappling with the reality that consumers aren’t upgrading their phones as often as they once did. Eliminating its entry-level offering and focusing solely on more expensive phones could help generate more revenue.

Permalink to story.

I am an XS MAX 512GB owner.

I love my phone.
I love the battery life.
I love the camera resolution.
I love the storage capacity.

Frankly, I don't see the point in 3 cameras.

I also doubt I'll be upgrading until they have a 1TB version.
The only things I look forward to are faster CPUs, more RAM, more battery life and more capacity.

Yawn.
Not sure how this can be considered news. Just look at any current high end Android handset and you'll know what the next iPhone will likely add as a 'brand new' feature.

Ie, OLED, NFC, copy paste, large screens, capacitive buttons, OIS, optical zoon, ingress protection...

If only they used their influence on the market for good, not the likes of removing the headset jack or creating the previously unheard of notch screen fad.

What Apple needs to do is a complete overall of its decade old apps that come with the iPhone...Really antique apps that need to be re-coded from scratch!

Still not willing to shell out $1,400 for a phone when my $200 job will do it all .......

I predicted people to buying less phones when att and verizon went to “next” plan instead of contract. Seeming obvious to me.

If Apple try to be luxury phone brand, they will return to what they were before iPhone. Market share will be too low for developers to invest in app development. Not good choice. Seeming they want trade in phone to refurbishment and resell to people spend less,but I don’t think that is sufficient.

Il have one, love having a good camera on my phone and I gave up on Android recently, it’s cheap and clunky compared to iOS.

Looks awful. Not only Apple dropped the ergonomics, now it's dropping design.
Way to go with health care :)

Im jumping over to android as I don't see apple improving anything on there phones other than the standard incremental update.

Back