Apple may offer rebates to users who bought a battery replacement before the $29 offer

Polycount

Staff

A while ago, Apple caught a bit of heat for admitting they throttle performance of older iPhones. Prior to the company's official statement on the matter, rumors began to spread that the company performed "planned obsolescence" by pushing older iPhone owners to upgrade to the latest devices.

This was something the company unequivocally denied in their initial disclosure, stating they only degraded performance to improve device lifespan and prevent random shutdowns due to aging batteries.

While this move has opened the company up to a number of investigations, lawsuits and complaints, Apple has since taken several steps to patch up their reputation and calm angry customers.

The company started by offering $29 battery replacements to owners of the iPhone 6 or newer until the end of 2018 - a $50 price cut compared to the normal $79 fee. Later, Tim Cook announced iOS 11.3 would include the option to turn off performance throttling entirely.

Recently, Senator John Thune sent a letter to Apple asking, among other things, whether or not the company would be offering rebates to customers who purchased a battery replacement prior to the $50 discount going into effect. In response, Apple has now stated they're "exploring" the possibility and will update Thune accordingly.

Senator Thune thanked Apple for their reply in a statement. "I appreciate Apple's response to my inquiry and the company's ongoing discussions with the committee. In those conversations, Apple has acknowledged that its initial disclosures came up short."

Permalink to story.

Oh, your battery degrades over time? Who knew?! Everyone else has to pay for battery replacements on their phones but I guess the iPhone snowflake crowd can't handle the fact that a hardware problem reduces performance and now has to PAY to fix that hardware problem.

No wonder so many millennials don't have cars, they can't handle paying to maintain something. They expect it should be done for them, but that's non of my business

It's weird they are doing all of this when they said it's a feature and tech reviewers passed it off as a good thing. It's almost as if they were in the wrong here. Remember, it was a feature all along.

It's weird they are doing all of this when they said it's a feature and tech reviewers passed it off as a good thing. It's almost as if they were in the wrong here. Remember, it was a feature all along.

It's not a bug, it's a feature.™

Oh, your battery degrades over time? Who knew?! Everyone else has to pay for battery replacements on their phones but I guess the iPhone snowflake crowd can't handle the fact that a hardware problem reduces performance and now has to PAY to fix that hardware problem.

No wonder so many millennials don't have cars, they can't handle paying to maintain something. They expect it should be done for them, but that's non of my business

lol settle down gramps. It's the deception behind the throttling that is rustling jimmies. Or a lack of transparency, to put it less bluntly. To my knowledge, no other hardware manufacturers use this method to extend a device's life.

lol settle down gramps. It's the deception behind the throttling that is rustling jimmies. Or a lack of transparency, to put it less bluntly. To my knowledge, no other hardware manufacturers use this method to extend a device's life.
Well I'm 30. However, if understanding things need replacement parts to function properly over time then I will gladly take the title of Gramps! Even if you have a car I would put money on the fact you don't change your oil or do your own brakes.

Thank you Apple for this great deal. Already booked to replace the battery in my old and reliable 6+. I can pass this phone to a relative.

Too bad haters will always hate and the fact the they are clueless on what is this all about makes me think jealousy is a cancer.

So many millennials don't have cars because they are getting paid about 1/3rd less than their parents were. That's in addition to serving sizes of food products being smaller and the basic cost of living being higher. These statistics are fact and it's not like the recent tax bill that's going to create a massive deficit is going to help either. But yes, let's overlook the obviously worse economy millenials have to deal with compared to their parents. Please, stop spouting the whole "entitlement" line about millennials, that's been said about every generation since ever.

Well I'm 30. However, if understanding things need replacement parts to function properly over time then I will gladly take the title of Gramps! Even if you have a car I would put money on the fact you don't change your oil or do your own brakes.

Haha I'm 28, and cars/motorcycles are a huge hobby of mine. I was just giving you a hard time for using the millennial stereotype.

Sure, there are some that are mad at Apple over this because they don't understand hardware shelf life and maintenance. In my experience there are people of all ages who lack this understanding, or even the willingness to understand. For technical people like us (of whatever age), I think it's safe to say we're focusing on the deceitful practices. The hardware stuff is kind of just understood.

So I don't think age/generation plays any part in how people view this.

So many millennials don't have cars because they are getting paid about 1/3rd less than their parents were. That's in addition to serving sizes of food products being smaller and the basic cost of living being higher. These statistics are fact and it's not like the recent tax bill that's going to create a massive deficit is going to help either. But yes, let's overlook the obviously worse economy millenials have to deal with compared to their parents. Please, stop spouting the whole "entitlement" line about millennials, that's been said about every generation since ever.
my first car cost $600 and I did all the maintenance myself because I couldn't afford someone else to do the for me. Millennials can afford cars but they'd rather have a new high end phone and b*tch about how they don't make enough money to afford one.

Maybe they shouldn't get 50k+ in debt getting a liberal arts degree. Not my business, though. If someone wants to screw their own life up that's there business, not mine. However, don't expect me to listen to people whining about how bad their life is when their phone bill is higher than electric bill. It's called priorities

Oh my god, stop with the Millennial talk! It's a stupid stereotype that doesn't even hold true to the majority of the population.

Fact: The economy is completely different than it was when mom and dad were our age. Everything is different. Education, pay, housing market. It's not people being whiny babies because of "bad choices". Sh*t I don't own a home. But I don't have college debt, and I have a steady decent paying job. But I bet you think I complain about not owning a home constantly.

Nooooope. My priorities are different than yours. That's the only difference.

Oh my god, stop with the Millennial talk! It's a stupid stereotype that doesn't even hold true to the majority of the population.

Fact: The economy is completely different than it was when mom and dad were our age. Everything is different. Education, pay, housing market. It's not people being whiny babies because of "bad choices". Sh*t I don't own a home. But I don't have college debt, and I have a steady decent paying job. But I bet you think I complain about not owning a home constantly.

Nooooope. My priorities are different than yours. That's the only difference.
Well, as a millennial that DOES own a home, I paid for it with hard work and sound financial decisions. If you want to run around, party and consume vape juice.....well, that's on you. Don't blame the economy, I started three businesses using money I made from washing dishes in college.

But, you know, that doesn't matter, it's the worlds and economies fault. Keep posting from your iPhone, though, that's gonna help.

EDIT:. I'd also like to add I'm a college drop out because I saw it as a waste of money. I won't be an entire house in debt before I even start my life

Well, as a millennial that DOES own a home, I paid for it with hard work and sound financial decisions. If you want to run around, party and consume vape juice.....well, that's on you. Don't blame the economy, I started three businesses using money I made from washing dishes in college.

But, you know, that doesn't matter, it's the worlds and economies fault. Keep posting from your iPhone, though, that's gonna help.

EDIT:. I'd also like to add I'm a college drop out because I saw it as a waste of money. I won't be an entire house in debt before I even start my life

High five? My point was I don't measure anyone's success on whether they own a car, house, are married by 25, etc. And also that most of the people who live like I do are not complaining or blaming. I don't own a home because I don't want to yet. I never said anything about it being the economy's fault...I just said things are very different from 30 years ago.

And by the way: I hardly party, I don't vape, I fix computers and do snow removal for side work, I've had a 401k since age 20, went to tech college, and my job pays for my Android phone.You literally could not be more wrong about your assumptions of me lol

my first car cost $600 and I did all the maintenance myself because I couldn't afford someone else to do the for me. Millennials can afford cars but they'd rather have a new high end phone and b*tch about how they don't make enough money to afford one.

Maybe they shouldn't get 50k+ in debt getting a liberal arts degree. Not my business, though. If someone wants to screw their own life up that's there business, not mine. However, don't expect me to listen to people whining about how bad their life is when their phone bill is higher than electric bill. It's called priorities

I'd just like to point out that the whole "Liberal arts degree" joke is from the 90s, I've never heard it applied to millennials. FYI, you are stereo-typing millennials when you are a millennial. You disprove your own sterotypes.

lol, that's literally what every prior generation has said about the next. The whole "You kids and your bomy boxes!" straight up.

The things you describe are something every young generation does. Why not offer a helping hand instead of curling up into a self isolating ball yelling "darn kids!".

I'd just like to point out that the whole "Liberal arts degree" joke is from the 90s, I've never heard it applied to millennials. FYI, you are stereo-typing millennials when you are a millennial. You disprove your own sterotypes.

lol, that's literally what every prior generation has said about the next. The whole "You kids and your bomy boxes!" straight up.

The things you describe are something every young generation does. Why not offer a helping hand instead of curling up into a self isolating ball yelling "darn kids!".
The difference between them and me is that I saw how dumb the system is and did my best to avoid it. So while I'm driving around in a new car(that I still do my own maintenance on) other people are complaining that they can't afford one. Frankly I'd rather drive a rust bucket than have a new phone, but, you know , priorities.

High five? My point was I don't measure anyone's success on whether they own a car, house, are married by 25, etc. And also that most of the people who live like I do are not complaining or blaming. I don't own a home because I don't want to yet. I never said anything about it being the economy's fault...I just said things are very different from 30 years ago.

And by the way: I hardly party, I don't vape, I fix computers and do snow removal for side work, I've had a 401k since age 20, went to tech college, and my job pays for my Android phone.You literally could not be more wrong about your assumptions of me lol
Congrats on being the exception

The difference between them and me is that I saw how dumb the system is and did my best to avoid it. So while I'm driving around in a new car(that I still do my own maintenance on) other people are complaining that they can't afford one. Frankly I'd rather drive a rust bucket than have a new phone, but, you know , priorities.

Congrats on being the exception

He isn't the exception. You've just read far too much online articles instead of having contact with real people. These sterotypes you keep bringing up aren't reality, they're just walls people put up to reject something different.

He isn't the exception. You've just read far too much online articles instead of having contact with real people. These sterotypes you keep bringing up aren't reality, they're just walls people put up to reject something different.
I bartend on the side for fun, I have plenty of contact with people and I can assure you these stereotypes are very real. Anyway, look, we're arguing on the internet. How serious do you think I am? I do this for fun because when I'm bored.

Back