Apple posts another record quarter, $3.25 billion profit

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Citing strong demand for just about every product in its arsenal, Apple has announced yet another best-ever quarter, generating $15.7 billion in sales and a profit of $3.25 billion, which is up 61% from $9.73 billion and 78% from $1.83 billion in the year-ago period. During the fiscal third quarter, Mac computer sales increased by a record 33% to 3.47 million from 2.6 million in 2009. The period ending June 26 also marked the first full quarter of sales for the iPad, which sold 3.27 million units.

Despite the drama surrounding the iPhone 4's reception, Apple says it shipped 8.4 million of its latest handset, a 61% boost over last year. Meanwhile, iPod sales continued their gradual descent, slipping 8% to 9.41 million. All said and done, the company added $4.1 billion to its coin purse, which now holds $45.8 billion. Apple expects the fourth quarter to bring $18 billion in revenue, and it mentioned the pending launch of "amazing new products" still planned for the year.

As related news, iTunes 9.2.1 is out. This update just offers minor bugs fixes but if you like to be on the safe side it is available for Windows 32-bit, 64-bit and Mac OS X.

Permalink to story.

I just wonder if the government *****s in congress will go after "EVIL" Apple because they made a HUGE profit, like they do Microsoft, Wal-Mart etc.... Probably not.

Great work apple, I continue to enjoy your products. Don't listen to the haters.

Guest said:
Great work apple, I continue to enjoy your products. Don't listen to the haters.

Great work fanboy. I continue to enjoy you defending a flawed product. Don't listen to the smart people.

The best comment I can remember of is "They could take a ****, paint it white, put an Apple logo on it and would make a best seller thanks to fanboys".

captaincranky said:
Is it true that Steve Jobs turns off his iPad and just stares at his own reflection?

All the while singing " I'm too sexy for my ipod, too sexy for my ipod it hurts!"

Easy to do when you make a product that people will pay anything to have...yes, I'm talkin to you fanboys...

According to iSuppli the iPhone 4 costs $187.51 in parts (Apple makes around $600 per phone sold). iSuppli has also estimated that the $499 Wi-Fi iPad costs $260 to make. I'm sure everyone is aware of the labor involved to make these products, so overhead costs have got to be very low.... That's how you make an easy 3.25 bil in profits, huge profit margin and relatively small overhead costs.

@Guest#2: FYI, congress doesn't enforce the law, they make the laws. Get your facts straight! Anti-trust laws have been in place since 1890 (Sherman Act) and again in 1914 (Clayton Act). Every business in the US is subject to these laws. It's not like the members of congress get together and say "Microsoft & Walmart make too much money, lets get some from them".

I always laugh when Apple fanboys point proudly to Apple's profits like its something good for them. They don't realize that Apple's huge profit comes out of their wallets. And they contribute far more profit, per item, than other consumers.

is it true that this qualification called 'iFan' (i Fiddle Apple Nest) is coming alive? You pay a premium with your product and they offer you a 3 days training, teaching you how to hold your iPhone, how to pay for your iProcuts, get your iTunes tuned and show you how your iPad will iWork ever with your iWireless router. That's sound great! They even give you at the end a poster with sexy Steve Jobs and his signature (iMe) on one corner, so you can proudly hang on your bedroom and kiss before going to bed,

Back