Apple reportedly buying PrimeSense, the company behind original Kinect

Himanshu Arora

Staff

apple primesense microsoft kinect

Update 11/25: Apple has officially confirmed the acquisition of PrimeSense, but as it's the norm for these type of deals, the company declined to comment on how much it spent or its plans for the technology. Israeli media says the deal is valued at about $350 million.

Original story below.

According to a report from Israeli publication Calcalist, Apple has acquired Tel Aviv-based 3D sensor technology company PrimeSense for $345 million. A formal announcement is expected within the next two weeks. News of a potential Apple-PrimeSense deal first emerged from the same news outlet earlier this year, but according to the latest report, it got delayed due to legal issues. At that time, the deal was priced at $280 million.

According to AllthingsD, the deal is not yet complete, but close. Meanwhile, PrimeSense, in a statement made to TheNextWeb, referred to the news as a "re-cycled rumor". While on the other hand, Apple has declined to comment on its link with the fabless semiconductor company.

Best known as the company that provided its technology, chips and design for the original Microsoft Kinect device, PrimeSense's motion sensing technology -- which interprets gestures and movements using cameras and sensors -- could be extremely useful for a number of Apple products including the Apple TV and wearable devices. Last year, Apple acquired mobile security firm Authentec and integrated its technology in the iPhone 5s.

Founded in 2005 by Aviad Maizels, Alexander Shpunt, Ophir Sharon, Tamir Berliner and Dima Rais, PrimeSense has raised $30 million from venture capitalists and caters to industries like gaming, healthcare, robotics, and more. Its 3D sensor technology is powering more than 24 million devices around the world.

Permalink to story.

So real soon we will see that Apple is suing Microsoft for patent infringement about the Kinect and Apple will claim that they invented the technology.

Nah, too easy, it will be something even less reality based..

So real soon we will see that Apple is suing Microsoft for patent infringement about the Kinect and Apple will claim that they invented the technology.

Technically Samsung footed this bill with the money they had to fork over to Apple from their 'successful' lawsuit a couple of days ago but I wonder how much Apple had to cough up to the judge to rule in their favour...

What's Apple up to?! I wonder if they're making a game console or if this technology is for their iOS? Although it's hard for me to picture this as useful for their phones and tablets.

Ddelamare: I use my Kinect - mostly to order it with voice. Make it launch different things in the Home screen.

Skidmarksdeluxe: Apple's may be borrowing against what they expect to earn. But Samsung hasn't turned over a dime yet. Samsung has a few thousand more appeals to go through before they're ready to turn over a dime.

Back