Apple reportedly working on native 4K display support in Mavericks

Justin Kahn

apple mavericks beta os x resolution 4k display

Apple appears to be adding 4K support to Mavericks, according to a recent report. In the latest beta version of Apple's OS, there is reportedly an option available to run the system in native 4K for use on Ultra HD displays. Based on the hands on report, Apple is calling the native 4K feature "Retina" inside the Mavericks ecosystem.

Many expected Apple to add in full 4K support to OS X, as the technology is becoming more and more accepted. While there are no official confirmations at this point, the user was able to run Mavericks beta 10.9.3 in what appeared to be native 4K on a Seiki Ultra HD display.

Macs already support 4K but it is not a true representation of the resolution, the OS simply resizes various elements in order to properly scale up the operating system's UI. With the new pixel-doubled 4K resolution support, images look much sharper and clearer than with the current option, according to the report.

Another detail from beta 10.9.3 that surfaced appears to show late-2013 Retina MacBook Pros with the ability to drive 4K displays at 60Hz. Apple currently states that the rMBP is only able to push a 24 or 30Hz 4K display over HDMI. While Apple's new Mac Pro already supports 4K at 60Hz, this feature would essentially streamline the process.

The report also suggests Apple could have its own 4K display in the works now that it would appear the software end of the system is being taken care of. This could lead to hi res iMacs down the line, but more likely 4K Apple cinema-style displays.

Permalink to story.

At long last! I was really disappointed to find out that late 2013 Macbook Pro I purchased doesn't support 4K at 60Hz under Mavericks. If it did, I would have purchased DELL UP2414Q. The only upside, there could be a better 4K monitor by the time 10.9.3 is released and tested against 4K monitors.

Only you guys can find the negatives about this article. Apple, in this article, is doing NOTHING but improving their OS.

At long last! I was really disappointed to find out that late 2013 Macbook Pro I purchased doesn't support 4K at 60Hz under Mavericks. If it did, I would have purchased DELL UP2414Q. The only upside, there could be a better 4K monitor by the time 10.9.3 is released and tested against 4K monitors.
Yeah it is about time.

Only you guys can find the negatives about this article. Apple, in this article, is doing NOTHING but improving their OS.
There are a lot of anti-Apple readers on this site.

I'm dying to see what GPU they put in those systems... then the price.
Intel iGPUs are getting quite powerful. They are beginning to use those over nVidia or AMD GPUs. As for the price... yeah lol.

Laugh about a potential price, Apple has a very strong record of premium prices. Because they can.

You want 4k support now? Make it happen. Post prices with the hardware/software used.

Interesting, I'll be keeping an eye on this. Given the uptake from designers/photographers etc I can see the market for 4K in the OSX environment. Also for Apple to sell their own display which people will rush out and sign their souls for.

What you probably meant to say was "Apple, in this article, is doing NOTHING but trying to overcharge the ignorant". All fixed now. No, no need to thank me, the pleasure was all mine.

Last edited:
Hopefully MS follows and allows for native 4K support in Windows because right now higher-rez scaling in Windows is severely lacking.

Regarding 4K gaming though, GPUs need to get at least 3-4x more powerful and at the same time 2x cheaper to make it viable for the masses in the near future.

Assassin's Creed Freedom Cry - 780ti: 27 fps
http://gamegpu.ru/images/remote/htt...assins_Creed_Freedom_Cry_-test-ac_fc_3840.jpg

Thief - Titan: 25 fps
http://gamegpu.ru/images/remote/htt...s-stories-Test_GPU-MMO-ArcheAge-4k_ssaa_h.jpg

BF4 - 780Ti: 29 fps
http://gamegpu.ru/images/remote/htt...attlefield_4_Second_Assault-test-bf4_3840.jpg

Therefore for 60 fps gaming in today's games, we need a GPU 2x more powerful than GTX780Ti but of course very few people will spend $699 on a GPU. 2015-2017 games will be more demanding which means to compensate GPUs will actually need to get 3-4x more powerful than 780Ti.

One can argue that if you can afford $3,000+ 4K monitor, then you can afford 3x 780Ti but then 4K continues to be a niche for another 3-5 years.

Intel iGPUs are getting quite powerful. They are beginning to use those over nVidia or AMD GPUs. As for the price... yeah lol.
Eh, I hate to dissagree but while the Iris Pro is nice its still to far behind to be anything other than for HD videos. I really like the ideas behind things like the built in RAM, but its just to far behind to be good for 4k stuff.

Hopefully MS follows and allows for native 4K support in Windows because right now higher-rez scaling in Windows is severely lacking.

Regarding 4K gaming though, GPUs need to get at least 3-4x more powerful and at the same time 2x cheaper to make it viable for the masses in the near future.

Assassin's Creed Freedom Cry - 780ti: 27 fps
http://gamegpu.ru/images/remote/htt...assins_Creed_Freedom_Cry_-test-ac_fc_3840.jpg

Thief - Titan: 25 fps
http://gamegpu.ru/images/remote/htt...s-stories-Test_GPU-MMO-ArcheAge-4k_ssaa_h.jpg

BF4 - 780Ti: 29 fps
http://gamegpu.ru/images/remote/htt...attlefield_4_Second_Assault-test-bf4_3840.jpg

Therefore for 60 fps gaming in today's games, we need a GPU 2x more powerful than GTX780Ti but of course very few people will spend $699 on a GPU. 2015-2017 games will be more demanding which means to compensate GPUs will actually need to get 3-4x more powerful than 780Ti.

One can argue that if you can afford $3,000+ 4K monitor, then you can afford 3x 780Ti but then 4K continues to be a niche for another 3-5 years.
Its not as bad as you say
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013...ti_vs_radeon_r9_290x_4k_gaming/6#.Uxt89fldWFQ
You can 4k game on a 780ti or 290X, just be prepared to drop the graphics down a setting. But even at ultra they run at a decent enough to be playable at 30FPS which many of the monitors already run at.

4k support for Apple OS is a great improvement, its good to start supporting the resolutions early because they can make improvements as things move forward. I would rather be early and have time to make improvements than wait till they are everywhere and have to make improvements asap.

Eh, I hate to dissagree but while the Iris Pro is nice its still to far behind to be anything other than for HD videos. I really like the ideas behind things like the built in RAM, but its just to far behind to be good for 4k stuff.
Definitely! I was just saying that they are improving. High end desktop GPUs can barely handle 4K lol, so I wouldnt expect a mobile one to be able to.

Interesting, I'll be keeping an eye on this. Given the uptake from designers/photographers etc I can see the market for 4K in the OSX environment. Also for Apple to sell their own display which people will rush out and sign their souls for.

4K on OS X, oh my... Maybe in a few years they will support higher color monitors like Windows 7 has since freaking 2009, that also has supported 4K resolutions since 2006.

(OS X does not output greater than 8bpp color, so people buying 10/12/16bit monitors and using them on a OS X is a waste of time, ESPECIALLY for the designers and photographers. - Only Windows 7/8 supports these color depths.)

Besides the limitation of VRAM for gaming, Windows has natively supported 4K resolutions going back to the days of XP.

We have a Toshiba 4K monitor here from 2006, that worked fine on XP and Vista, and works even better under Windows 8.1

As for the 'scaling' in Windows, it offers three direct and two indirect methods of scaling and resolution support. It fully mimics what OS X does in two of the methods and has MORE ADVANCED scaling options that work with both older and newer software. Software written in the last 8 years should automatically scale, unless the developer was an *****, as the modern Windows scaling APIs have been around since Vista in 2006.

It amazes me when a Mac user complains about Windows scaling, while it does OS X style scaling along with three other options along with native 'flow/reflow' scaling APIs that aren't even available on OS X.

People who are happy with Windows DPI scaling are those who never used it. There are programs (especially annoying with professional, multi-thousand dollar music applications) that simply will not work in a scaled Windows environment. Many will look bad or have interface elements in wrong places or text unreadable, etc. It is a great pain, and only looks well on the paper, like anything that Microsoft does. Since I switched to Mac, I don't use any scaling, because the font size is big enough for my eyes as it is. I have a Mac Book Pro Retina, and I hate running Windows on it, because the scaling does not work well - system windows open very small, but with huge letters, and colour management is rotten, as I cannot use different profiles for work and for gaming. I don't have such problems on Mac OS X. I never had a 16-bit monitor, I didn't know they exist, but I'm sorry to hear Mac OS X doesn't support them. Probably it is due to lack of such support from hardware, I only know Matrox video card that had 10bpp support, but probably mainstream GPUs used in Apple computers do not support it.

People who are happy with Windows DPI scaling are those who never used it. There are programs (especially annoying with professional, multi-thousand dollar music applications) that simply will not work in a scaled Windows environment. Many will look bad or have interface elements in wrong places or text unreadable, etc. It is a great pain, and only looks well on the paper, like anything that Microsoft does. Since I switched to Mac, I don't use any scaling, because the font size is big enough for my eyes as it is. I have a Mac Book Pro Retina, and I hate running Windows on it, because the scaling does not work well - system windows open very small, but with huge letters, and colour management is rotten, as I cannot use different profiles for work and for gaming. I don't have such problems on Mac OS X. I never had a 16-bit monitor, I didn't know they exist, but I'm sorry to hear Mac OS X doesn't support them. Probably it is due to lack of such support from hardware, I only know Matrox video card that had 10bpp support, but probably mainstream GPUs used in Apple computers do not support it.

On Windows you have the same OS X scaling options in addition to the old XP scaling option that you are describing from 10 years ago. There are also three additional scaling modes that can be used. So if you like OS X's scaling/native rendering, Windows can do that.

There are also several new scaling features available to software developers since Vista was released. The new Metro/Modern/WinRT Apps also have a new flow and scaling options, so they render natively on any resolution or screen layout.

I get that XP scaling mode kind of sucked, but back then in 2001, OS X's scaling really sucked as well. Since Vista, Windows has added several new scaling modes and also opened up several new scaling options to software developers.

Photoshop and illustrator look stunning on a 4K display on Windows. - And Adobe didn't have to create new versions to support the higher resolutions on Windows like they did for OS X.

With Windows 8.1 if you are having problems with scaling on your Mac, you need to check your resolution settings and adjust how you want the display to work the best for you. You can get it to work just like OS X if you want.

(One note that does trip up users, on Windows 8/8.1, when the user first adjusts the scaling from the default values Windows selects, they need to log out and log back on, even though Windows doesn't tell them how important this is. Until they log out, all scaling will be the blurry 'resampled' mode.)

As for greater than 8bpp color support, this is something that Apple has kept very quiet about, as they have customers that are graphic professionals, and do buy 10/12bpp displays, and they also buy common GPUs that support the higher color resolutions. (Even using the OpenGL application specific workarounds like Linux/FreeBSD users can turn to don't work on OS X, as the 'composer' negates the expanded color rendering.) The dirty secret is that Mac users are only getting 'more' color out of the higher bpp displays via the display's onboard expanded color estimation.

4K on OS X, oh my... Maybe in a few years they will support higher color monitors like Windows 7 has since freaking 2009, that also has supported 4K resolutions since 2006.

(OS X does not output greater than 8bpp color, so people buying 10/12/16bit monitors and using them on a OS X is a waste of time, ESPECIALLY for the designers and photographers. - Only Windows 7/8 supports these color depths.)
Got some links to back that up? I'm not saying you are wrong, but I did a couple quick searches and didn't come up with anything.

Back