Apple rips off student's rejected iPhone app

Archean

iOS 5 lifts (read steal) idea, name, even logo

wifi_sync_logos.jpg

Last year Greg Hughes a software developer (in UK) developed and submitted an application for syncing iPhones with iTunes wirelessly to Apple's Application Store. However, Cupertino rejected it, and Greg sold his Application through Cydia store for jailbroken phones. Now to May 2011, and Apple unveiled many new features for iOS 5 including same wireless-synching functionality, and they weren't even intelligent enough to rename the application and logo.

Stealing ideas isn't new to Apple but this is simply blatant theft IMO. As Dan puts it very precisely:

Next time Steve Jobs and company chides a competitor for blatant copying, remember that in the world in which Apple – and indeed any dominant company – resides, originality is in the eye of the Goliaths. The Davids, it seems, don't stand a chance.

If I was him, I wouldn't just want some compensation, rather i) recognition of the original work/license fee-or-royalty (whatever one may want to call it) for every device sold with it, and ii) un-conditional apology.

Gee, should I comment? I fairly sure if I do, someone will accuse me of "Apple bashing"!

I wonder if Steve Jobs changes ever those jeans like normal person, or just molts them like a snake?

May be, or may be he is a wolf in sheep's skin?

But to his credit, he is pretty good at identifying 'opportunity' and then implementing a strategy to exploit it.

Back