Application error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigfatgoalie

Hi all,

I assume this is pretty basic (well.... hopefully!!) I keep getting these messages that pop up in a blue bannered box (like standard windows error) saying "XXXXXX - Application error"

Where i have written XXXXXX are various messages that pop up every couple of minutes, like "Taskmgr.exe - application error", "msmsgs.exe - Application error" or "Iexplorer.exe - Applcation error".

They are then followed by some text along the lines of:

"The instruction at 0x77f58dc5 referenced memory at "0x000077b". The memory could not be read"

I have no idea why this happens! Any clues? and also on how to stop it??

I just click on the 'OK' to terminate the program but Iexplorer and messenger etc still seem to run ok... then shortly a new message pops up!

Really annoying, any ideas!?

Cheers.

I have assessed the memory and dont think it is this, its really wierd just dont understand it, its driving me mad.

Thanks for the suggestions

Your description is kinda vague. Try taking a screenshot to help us understand your issue.

When the error comes up:
1)ALT+PRINTSCREEN
Pressing just printscreen will take a screenshot of your whole desktop.
Alt+PrntScrn will take a screenshot ONLY of the current active window/application.

2) Open MSPAINT or similar program.
CTRL+V (or Edit -> Paste)

3) Save the image to your desktop
CTRL+S (or File -> Save)

4) Attach/Upload it to a reply here.

Ok, have done and attached.

Where it says "msmsgs" on the blue bit, this changes to various things such as "iexplorer" or "rundll32" or basically any other application that I run or close. I just click Ok and I can carry on, so nothing seems to happen but its really annoying me as these pop up every 30secs or so! so there is clearly something wrong, just dont know what!

NB I have had to attach it as a word doc because the MS Paint file was too large for the forum!

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• app error - word.doc
    30.5 KB · Views: 7
well what is the results of the memtest and a virus scan?

open a cmd window and run sfc /scannow and see if it gives you any errors.

open your pc and inspect it for damage or unusual things, especially looking for burns and capacitor damage etc.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the help.

I have run scannow as above but it didnt give me any output, just said checking windows files then finished!

Also im not sure about the memtest, maybe I didnt run what you were suggesting, I have the Everst home addition and just ran a report, is this right? not sure what I am looking for! Could someone possiblly give me full instructions on what to do other than follow the link, maybe I missed something. What would I be looking for on the memtest??

The problem is still persisiting and its really annoying, biggest worry is that I cant run windows update because after each update (of 52 that I need!!) it says "application error windowsupdate.exe" in the box in the style as attached, and then it errors the download and moves on to the next, it does that for all of them so I end up with none installed at all!

If there are any more suggestions id very much appreciate it.

Thanks for the help so far, has been great

Cheers.

memtest (the first link, not the games troubleshooter) is a small bootable program that stress test the RAM modules. Download the latest one from www.memtest.org and burn it to a cd or floppy. Simply reboot and select to boot from it and let it run its test.

Generally, you'd want it to run around 7 "passes" with memtest program so grab a coffee or go watch some tv because it will take a while.. Any sort of FAIL or Errors detected means there is something wrong with one of the RAM modules installed, so take one out and run the test again and see if it faults, then do the same with the other module etc. Faulty ones can't be repaired, only replaced with a fresh set, matching is best (where all RAM sticks are identical in every way, shape and form), and some brands offer lifetime warranty, so you should check if your's have.

Everest home is a program that helps you figure out what you have on your pc hardware-wise as well as being able to show you temperatures, voltages etc. at this stage, its informative for your sake, but i don't think you need to look at it right now (well, you could if you want..)

the sfc /scannow not showing you any errors means that your OS is fine and there is no problems with corrupted OS files or any thing like it..

i see you have a thread running in the security and web forum.. lets wait for howard to clear you of your trojan and little app problem.. then resume here.

have you had a bit of a look inside your PC to see if there's anything amiss in there?

Hi N3051M

I got to the root of the problem, it was a virus. I found it on AVG antispyware (couldnt delete it at first so had to use the Avenger) but it has now gone and the problem is no longer happening!! Howard to the rescue!

Im really surprised that a virus would do this, i thought it was an O/S or memory issue for sure but i guess you never know!

Thanks a bunch for your time though and I do really appreciate your help.

Cheers

yeh, there are some nasties that cause that effect.. as since that was the second thing i thought of, but someone already posted for you to check for it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back