Asrock 4Core Dual-VSTA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey!

Well, I decided to build myself a computer that's going to last me. I got a motherboard from a friend, I have an Orion 585w PSU, a Q6600 quad core @ 2.4gHz, and up until a few weeks ago, I was using an 8600 gt 256. I was having no issues whatsoever with that card. I just bought a Sapphire Radeon HD 4850, and suddenly my games do not work. They just crash my card and require a hard restart to fix. I managed to get the computer stable enough to run windows XP SP3 well enough, and I can still watch movies, go online, listen to music, look at pictures...etc. I just can't play games.

The only exception to that is Garry's Mod. None of my other source games work, or any others, such as Crysis, Stalker Clear Sky, Rainbow Six Vegas 2, World in Conflict...not even the Hoyle Board games (my grandmother got it for me. Chess is fun, though haha)

I've been told that my mobo is to blame, but I dont see how that could be if it worked fine before the card. I sent the card in for replacement from Newegg, but the new card still has the same issues. It was then suggested that it was the PSU, but I don't know how to test that.

Any ideas? I havn't been able to use my computer the way I want to for like 2 weeks! Help me!

Thanks!

Make sure that all of your previous graphics drivers are wiped from the system. Download and run Driver Cleaner to purge the existing drivers and then install the Catalyst drivers afterward. If you still have problems, try reinstalling the chipset drivers. Also, the HD4800 series cards run really hot out of the box, which might be why the system is crashing. To raise the fan speed, download RivaTuner or make a custom profile for Catalyst Control Center. Set the fan to ~60% and try running a game.

Well, I did wipe all the previous drivers using Driver Cleaner. I even did it in safe mode haha. But, i didn't do it before I installed these drivers. And yea, I already did the fan fix, so the card idle's at about 48 C. I couldn't tell ya what it maxes at because it crashes! haha

So should I just try completely wiping all the drivers and reinstalling?

It's your PSU. HEC's Orion brand is rubbish for powering a gaming machine. Get a new one like the Corsair 550VX or the Gigabyte Odin GT 550 if you want a modular PSU (the Corsair isn't).

The reason you're getting the crash while running games and not anything else is because the card draws more power under load than when it's idle.

Well that's much appreciated, Rage.

I took my computer over to a friend's house and we swapped some parts. It still didn't work with his PSU in my comp, but the card worked fine in his computer.

I'm pretty sure its the motherboard now.

Does he also have a Q6600? If he doesn't, then your test is a moot point, since your PC draws more power than his.

Also, what PSU does he have?

well, he's using a Rosewill (thats how he spelled it) 500w PSU.

I guess I didn't think about my processor haha.

I'm going to run another test with a different friend today, who might have a bigger PSU in his computer, or lying around somewhere. I'm doing everything I can so I dont have to spend more money on this beast haha

Thanks for your help, by the way. its much appreciated.

My friend has the A64 6000+ processor...and he thinks it uses more haha

Either way, I'm still working on running a couple more tests with my other computer buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back