Asrock Z97 Extreme4 lights on but not booting screen

Oneperson34

Added a gtx 980ti to my build, running on a as rock z97 extreme4 motherboard, now I am left with the power of the computer turning on at around 10 minutes or so, (sometimes the board doesn't even light up) then turning back off with the motherboard light staying on? Note: keyboard slides out lighting indicating its on, blue yeti mute button is on as well. Advice?

Is post the computer lightening up after a good few minutes then turning back off with the motherboard light still on? Then if so yes it does post

Should mention that the power supply tester is now showing +5VSB being the only light to come on. The one above it "PG" just fades out and the others don't go on at all

• Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • Motherboard
    ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
  • RAM
    Crucial Ballistix Elite 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
  • GPU
    EVGA GTX 980TI SC
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define S
  • Storage
    Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM
  • PSU
    Cooler Master V850 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX
  • Display(s)
    Samsung S27C230B 27.0" \ AOC E2425SWD 24.0" 60Hz
  • Cooling
    Corsair H75 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  • Keyboard
    AZIO MGK1 Wired Gaming Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Redragon Perdition Wired Laser Mouse
  • Sound
    Asus Xonar DSX 24-bit 192 KHz
  • Operating System
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM 64-bit

See: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000312.htm
If your PSU tester works properly with another 'known good' PSU, then it is likely that your PSU is failing. Determine if PSU is covered by warranty and contact manufacturer about RMA (return merchandise authorization). The manufacturer may have you do some tests...do you have access to another system or another PSU?... did you properly install the 980 TI? says 250W and 6pin/8pin (which means both to me)

Edit: found another reference shows need for TWO 8-pin connectors.

Last edited:
6pin/8in version definitely, and unfortunately I don't have access to another PSU, is this really likely though before making a RMA call because the PSU is generally taking awhile originally anyways again most of the time it isn't, the surge protector a possible cause as well?

" the PSU is generally taking awhile originally anyways again most of the time it isn't"

I find it hard to decipher meaning.

I think you are saying PSU fails to operate properly sometimes. I suggest the call as they may have more specific insight into how it 'should' work. Possibly diagnostic steps which will help identify the issue rather than guessing. (These are likely to be the steps in the computerhope materials about POST)

As to surge protector, it depends on what it is, how it is supposed to operate and how well it operates with your specific PSU. If your surge protector is actually a UPS, then there may be issues with square wave UPSs and Active PFC PSUs.

You might re-install your old video card, just to see if the problems mysteriously go away. If that were so, you can then focus on the new hardware.

All the lights are now turning on, having the 8pin connector in the power supply and the 20 pin bottom connector makes a difference compared to previous results, convinced either my current room isn't receiving power faster or other wise?

My advice is to remove everything from the case and to do a 'benchtop' build...going from very basic system (motherboard, no RAM, CPU & Heatsink with fan, no video) - see if you get warning beep code which says "bad RAM" (of course it is bad because there is none), then add RAM and be sure you get the 'no video' beep code, then install a video card (the old one if available) and get the single beep meaning you have a proper POST..... add components and test that they are good - one step at a time until you have a bad one - and then figure out if it is the component (by replacing with a known good one) or the slot or connector in the motherboard.

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/p/post.htm

Was going to wonder if something like a benchtop like test would be recommended at this point, will get back to you in the morning with what happens

Late update sorry, the issue surprisingly had to do with the fan wires running right across the hard drive installed, a very small mistake could have effect all the parts at some point had I not fixed it, now I'm experience ing a hard drive boot issue as it doesn't show at all when the ssds are connected but when they're not connected it shows, either way the system still can't boot into windows unless I did a fresh install on a ssd, which I don't believe needs to be done but should I go for a reinstall anyways?

Use manufacturers' utilities to confirm correct operation of components.

Please clarify...I believe you are saying that you can only see HDD in setup if it is only storage device attached, but when you add SSD then the HDD is no longer recognized but you can see the SSD properly listed in setup?

Please consider reviewing setup procedure in the appropriate manual:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97 Extreme4/?cat=Manual

Back