Asus A6R cd drive not detected by windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elliah

i just performed a fresh install of windows xp on an asus a6r and everything works fine except for the fact that the cd drive is not detected by windows. i've tried the regedit fix which involves deleting the upper and lower filters in the registry key but those keys do not exist. the cd drive does not show up in device manager, however, the driver for sm bus controller is not installed.
is this due to a chipset driver problem or what? any help would be greatly appreciated.

How old is the Asus A6R?
Optical drives burn out, or become out of alignment, rather quickly... It your drive is over a year old, or if you have used it to burn a lot of data or music, it is time to replace it... About $22 online.

In our experience, yes. We see enormous numbers of failed optical drives after a year of use... even at 8 or 9 months, if they are used a great deal.
But try a few things... such as resetting your BIOS... by removing, waiting, reinstalling your CMOS battery... Removing and resetting your memory modules... sometimes for unpredicatable reasons, performing activities that change the configuration or the BIOS will squeeze more life out of an optical drive... No logical reason for it, that I have seen... even removing the drive from one panel to another will sometimes make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back