Asus a7n8x BIOS settings PLEASE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
SO with 1gig Corsair PC3700 DDR Memory in the Asus a7n8x deluxe Mobo, Athlon XP 2400 CPU, with a great thermalright 800 heatsink- I currently have:
CPU Ext Freq: 166Mhz
CPU Freq Multiplier: 13x
Memory Freq: 100%
CPU Interface: Optimal
Resulting Freq: 166Mhz
CPU VCore: 1.750V
this produces 36C/96F temp..
I am new to BIOS/overclocking but I heard that I can take advantage the awesome 1gig memory that I have. Could anyone help me tweak my system.

Take a look at this thread before doing anything else.

Explaining step-by-step how to overclock would easily take a few hours to type without even going extremely indepth of the subject.

Luckily for you, there are hundreds of overclocking resources available for you to read on the web. Do a search from google, or even take a look at TechSpot's own overclocking guide.

you have some SERIOUSLY fast ram there - i wish my ram could do that - but you are limited in your overclocking by your CPU - anything under a 2500+ (i.e the palamino/throughbread a cores) is very difficult to overclock - im getting at 2500+ myself just so i can overclock it
the 2400+ is very hard to overclock simply because the 2400+ is the FASTEST they could get that core to go - thus it doesnt overclock very well.
if you want my recommendation buy urself a 2500+ for £60 and sell your 2400+ on ebay or similar for about £40 - problem solved.
*stops in his tracks* you 2400 has a 166 FSB? i thought the 2400+ were the last of the 133 FSB range...? are you sure? odd. *is now confused* :mad:
i hope something in that ramble helps

Steg

Originally posted by Steg
you are limited in your overclocking by your CPU - anything under a 2500+ (i.e the palamino/throughbread a cores) is very difficult to overclock - im getting at 2500+ myself just so i can overclock it
the 2400+ is very hard to overclock simply because the 2400+ is the FASTEST they could get that core to go - thus it doesnt

Not necessarily. AMD started using the Thoroughbred "B" cores in their XP1700+ and up a long while ago. Most AthlonXPs are now based on the Thoroughbred "B" or Barton core.

I guess what im saying is.. the above settings are what I have entered myself according to the numerous articles that i have read. I have the option of 100, 133, 166, even 200Mhz for the CPU Ext Freq. Ive read articles that recommend each one of these settings. My current settings (above) seemed like a "safe" setting (that true?). Although I would like any additional info as to what may be added/changed to take full advantage of my hardware.
Again, I am doing this out of my own free will so please do not feel responsible if anything were to happen. And I really do appreciate any and all comments/concerns...

really, every system ends up being different, that's why few people overclock, as it can be quite a bit of work tweaking everything. as for certain settings, you just gotta play around and try different combos to see what works. first step is to get yourself a decent benchmarking utility too. basically try a setting, and test it out, make sure it's stable, see how much you've gained, etc. sorry i don't have specific advice for this situation.
-Krugger

133/166/200 are just a few settings. There's probably a box in there that's marked "Expert settings" of something similiar. Click it, then you will have access to FSB steppings 1 mhz at a time instead of 33 mhz jumps. Just remember to keep an eye on temps, and go slowly, just a couple of mhz at a time, run some tests to be sure temps stay cool and system remains stable before going up allittle more.

Don't be afraid to add a little voltage to the CPU as well, perhaps 10% above default is the max I would reccomend, just keep a CLOSE eye on temps when doing so.

Originally posted by ramoneo
As far as a benchmarking tool... what would you guys recommend?
i feel like a great number of people use 3dmark for benchmarking. as for this part, they may run a longer/looping test and see if the cpu is stable or if it crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back