Asus developing a rival to Apple's mysterious tablet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Industry sources have reportedly informed DigiTimes that Asus is "making preparations to launch" a new tablet PC. The tipsters claim Asus' device is named "Eee Pad" and is inspired by Apple's mysterious tablet, which is expected to debut next year. Supposed features include a 4-inch or 7-inch display with a "combination of tablet PC and MID functions." Apart from those few details, little information is currently available.

In other Asus-related news, the company announced that it would reduce capital by 85% by spinning off its contract manufacturing unit (Pegatron) to focus more on its own brand identity. A new company named "Pegatron Investment Holdings Company" will manage the spun-off property.

As part of the split, Asus will issue a chunk of shares, 25% of which Asus will hold, and 75% will be distributed among shareholders. It's unclear whether Pegatron Investment Holdings will offer manufacturing services exclusively to Asus, or if it will also supply parts to other companies.

Permalink to story.

A small computer with limited function may have some good uses. I am currently searching for a means to display voice to text without using the Internet. It needs to be a local, real time system, which would serve deaf and hearing impaired people in restaurants and other noisy surroundings. Most available system use high end gadgets like the iPhone or Blackberry and must communicate via a server to get the "translation" to text for display. I need it local, real time and without external connections. A 4x7in tablet might be a pretty close to what I would want. There has to be a good sized market of hearing impaired and deaf people who could use this device at a reasonable price.

That would be a great idea gunste24!

Also I like the way ASUS is 'branching' out and being an innovative competitor in the pc and electronics arena.

Asus is the OEM of "A" company for a long time, they always have similiar items out with other big boys, no surprise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back