Asus' dual-booting Transformer AiO starts at $1,299 this spring

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Asus introduced the world to their dual-booting Transformer All-in-One at last year’s Computex trade show in Taipei, Taiwan. Details were soft at the time and we had no idea when the company planned to launch the computer or at what price. That’s all changed today as Asus has announced final hardware specifications as well as pricing and a ballpark date on when we can expect to see it hit retail shelves.

It all starts with the 18.4-inch LED-backlit display featuring a 16:9 aspect ratio and operating at 1,920 x 1,080 with 10-finger Multi Touch support. From here, however, things get interesting as the Transformer AiO leads two very different lives depending on whether or not the system is docked.

asus transformer aio aio all in one asus transformer

In tablet mode, you’ll be using an Nvidia Tegra 3 processor, 2GB of DDR3 memory, 32GB of flash memory, 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth V3.0 EDR and a 1-megapixel camera. Connections on the tablet include a 3.5mm audio / headphone jack, a docking port, a MicroSD card reader, a mini USB 2.0 port, power connector and a Kensington lock slot. The system will run Android 4.1 in tablet mode.

Add in the PC Station and it’s a totally different ballgame. Customers will have their choice of an Intel Core i3, i5 or i7 processor, up to 8GB of RAM, up to 2TB of additional hard drive space, Bluetooth V4.0, four USB 3.0 ports, one USB 2.0 port, a 3-in-1 card reader and dedicated headphone and microphone jacks. When in PC Station mode, users will be working with a full copy of Windows 8.

asus transformer aio aio all in one asus transformer

It’s tough to get a read on how successful the Transformer AiO might be as there really isn’t anything else like it on the market. Either way, expect to see the massive hybrid hit stores later this spring starting at $1,299 for a Core i3 processor, 4GB of RAM and a 1TB hard drive on the Windows side of the fence.

Permalink to story.

So, if I'm working on a spreadsheet in the docked mode and decide to undock and take the tablet to a coworker in a different office, what then? Will an Android app open it? Then Excel will open it when the tablet is docked again? Not getting the practicality of this dual OS setup.

So, if I'm working on a spreadsheet in the docked mode and decide to undock and take the tablet to a coworker in a different office, what then? Will an Android app open it? Then Excel will open it when the tablet is docked again? Not getting the practicality of this dual OS setup.
Yeah, not enough details on how the interactions between the 2 OS's will work...

I don't think that would be the case, if it's dual booting. I guess when you boot it up without the docking station you'll have Win8 while doing the same undocked will get you Android. Now the first pic in the article may be misleading if so, since the AiO is out of the docking station and still running Win8...? We'll have to wait for more details. It is an interesting concept and for whoever is on the market and undecided if getting a full computer or a table, this may be a good option.

Why dual-boot at all? If you have Windows 8, why would you need Android OS? I mean if you have a full on Windows OS, I don't really see a need to run Android at all.

Back