Asus, Gigabyte, and Asrock BIOS updates add support for upcoming 14th-gen Intel processors

Daniel Sims

Staff
Something to look forward to: Recent rumors suggest that a new line of Intel desktop processors will arrive later this year. While the company has not officially confirmed anything beyond laptop CPUs, recent BIOS updates from three motherboard manufacturers – Asus, Asrock, and Gigabyte – allude to next-generation processors, which for all practical purposes is as good as confirming the CPU refresh is coming.

These new BIOS updates refer to unannounced Intel desktop CPUs, preparing users to upgrade their processors without the need to replace their motherboards.

BIOS updates began appearing for Gigabyte B660, B760, and Z790 motherboards between late May and early June, mentioning support for the forthcoming Intel processors without naming them. Updates with similar titles emerged for Asrock B760 and Asus Z790 models last week. MSI has yet to follow suit.

The patch rollout seems somewhat uneven, as many Gigabyte Z790 and Asrock Z760 motherboards have yet to receive it. Owners of Asus, Asrock, or Gigabyte motherboards that support LGA1700 sockets, and who plan to upgrade their CPUs, should regularly check for new BIOS versions. Moreover, the Asus and Asrock patch notes recommend updating to the latest version of the Intel Management Engine.

The new processors in question could only be the rumored refresh of the 13th-generation Raptor Lake series, which Intel is said to be branding as the 14th-generation Core series. A reliable leaker suggests that the new unlocked CPUs will arrive in October, followed by the non-K versions before the close of 2023.

Most of the 14th-generation Raptor Lake processors are expected to feature more cores than their 13th-gen counterparts. While the upgrade might not be revolutionary, the BIOS updates confirm that owners of Alder Lake and Raptor Lake processors will have new options to choose from, without needing to replace their motherboards.

However, these refreshed chips may be the last series to support the LGA1700 socket. Current information suggests that the subsequent Arrow Lake processors will transition to the LGA1851 socket upon their release in late 2024 or early 2025.

Meanwhile, Intel recently confirmed the launch of Meteor Lake mobile CPUs later this year. These will feature a new branding scheme to replace the 15-year-old Core i3, i5, i7, and i9 labels. Meteor Lake will introduce two tiers of processors: Intel Core and Intel Core Ultra, each with 3, 5, 7, and 9 variants.

Permalink to story.

I doubt that this move is intentional. But I wouldn't have a problem if Intel switched to having sockets last for 3 years or generations before replacement vs 2 years as it's been since Sandy Bridge. It's certainly a move that they should consider as a permanent change if they want to be more competitive with AMD.

I doubt that this move is intentional. But I wouldn't have a problem if Intel switched to having sockets last for 3 years or generations before replacement vs 2 years as it's been since Sandy Bridge. It's certainly a move that they should consider as a permanent change if they want to be more competitive with AMD.
AMD isn't exactly a leader right now.

Everything AMD offers is currently selling below MSRP. Zen 3, 4, RDNA 2, 3. Because Intel (and nvidia) is stronger. AMD has no choice but to drop trou(sers). You don't discount everything when you're on top. AM5 wasn't exactly the smooth upgrade everyone hoped for. AMD isn't capable of pushing down DDR5 prices on their own. Intel did that. 65% YoY drop in Client revenue isn't a sign of strength either. AMD is arguably worse off right now in the consumer market. RDNA 3 missed their perf/watt target, and a near future Zen launch could go the same. Who knows. I just know AMD isn't very consistent on the desktop. Scatter-brained even. BIOS problems and bulging CPU's aren't helping. Two more chipsets than before. From 3 to 5. WTF? After all that they are still at best neck and neck with Intel in the public eye.

AMD isn't exactly a leader right now.

Everything AMD offers is currently selling below MSRP. Zen 3, 4, RDNA 2, 3. Because Intel (and nvidia) is stronger.
huh what
the 7950x3d is better than the 13900k in both gaming and productivity

and for nvidia, all new gen cards suck except the 4090, the rest are all trumped by amds price to performance

ofc its selling bellow msrp, because amd is willing to change prices, while nvidia is hardstuck on msrp

they are 100% the leader right now

I'm just impressed that Intel at least MAY have a compatible socket between anything now and the future 14th-gen processor. They do seem to have a zeal for changing sockets as frequently as possible.

Nostalgically, I do recall my socket 7 boards.. where Intel switched sockets but AMD, Cyrix, and the rest... Nexgen, IDT, Winchip, and UMC.. didn't. I went from a AMD K5-75 to a K6-2 450 (which game more like a 10-12x speed boost rather than the 6x the clock speed difference would imply.. that K6-2 ran REALLY well) using the same motherboard. Parents had one where they replaced something like a 66Mhz Pentium or something with a Cyrix MII CPU if I recall.. not particularly fast but VERY inexpensive.

Back