'Asus m2n SLI' - black DIMM slots wont insert my DDR2 RAM properly

Hi,

I saw a post about the 'asus m2n sl'i motherboard on here and thought i would ask for some advice or help.

I have recently bought more RAM for my computer, hoping to add the RAM i had already, however after trying to insert the new RAM into the black DIMM slots for dual channel they wouldnt insert properly, so i started thinking "oh no ive bought the wrong one", but then i removed my old RAM from the yellow DIMM slots, put my new stuff in and they fit and work perfect...

so my problem is that none of the RAM i have will fit into the black DIMM sockets... despite them both being 240pin, 800mhz, DDR2.

They just wont slot in enough for me to click both clamps down, if i manage to get the bottom of the RAM inserted so it clamps in, the top end will sit up and if i get the top in, the bottom end will sit up and so on and so fourth.

I have done a bit of research and all 4 sockets, yellow and black are supposed to be DDR2 sockets 240 pin. So why wont it take the RAM ive got?

Is it possible that you need to flip the RAM modules 180 degrees? The notch in the insertion end is not in the middle so it will prevent the RAM from seating if you insert it backwards.

Hello, thank you for the suggestion, im pretty sure ive tried putting them in all possible ways i can but i will give it another go, i am aware that the slot isn't 100% in the middle as i managed to remove my old Corsair XMS2 RAM and replace them with my new Kingston RAM in the two yellow DIMM slots without a fuss.

But my Kingston RAM or Corsair RAM will not go in the Black DIMM slots properly... They are both DDR2, 240pin, 800mhz and the black and yellow DIMM slots are exactly the same. Ive read the M2N SLI manual and everything.

Ive tried pushing them in as hard as i can without breaking the motherboard and the Black DIMM slots have never been used so i no they havent been tampered with or broken.

I was hoping to have 6-8G of RAM in my comp, at the moment ive got 4G so its not a huge problem but its frustrating ive got 2Gigs of RAM not being used when they could be.

Any more help would be appreciated.

There is no reason that I can see why it shouldn't go in. If you haven't already, try placing the PC on its side so you are pressing downward when you install the RAM. This way you can get even pressure more easily.

There is no reason that I can see why it shouldn't go in. If you haven't already, try placing the PC on its side so you are pressing downward when you install the RAM. This way you can get even pressure more easily.

I had it on its side while trying to place it in, I tried both sets of RAM, my old corsair and my new kingston RAM, neither wanted to go in the Black DIMM slots but both fitted in the yellow slots 100% fine, no need for any pressure or force what-so-ever.

I am extremely confused by this as i can imagine you are too.

Wrong memory is the usual cause in that board... talk to your supplier about a trade

Hello and thanks for the suggestion,

but it's not wrong memory as i have managed to fit my new RAM and old RAM into the yellow slots. Neither will go into the Black. Despite all 4 DIMM slots being the exact same.

I no this problem sounds extremely dumb and sounds like im just being an ***** lol but i'm not 'new' to adding and taking stuff out of my computers as ive always been upgrading mine. This problem is just odd.... very odd.

You have been able to get it partially in though, correct? As you said, if one end was in, the other would pop up or sit up. So as long as the notch lines up it should eventually go in. The black DIMMs must be just tighter than the yellow ones.

Maybe it would help to remove the motherboard from the case and place it on a surface that can provide even support while you press the RAM in or you could squeeze it in with your thumbs on the RAM and your fingers underneath the motherboard for support. Ordinarily, such a thing wouldn't necessary but this does not seem to be ordinary circumstances.

Ye, one end in, the other out and vice versa.

Ok i will try that thank you for the tip.

If that doesnt work i might just try bashing it in with a hammer, joking.

Back