ASUS M2N4 SLI Boot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcaceit

Greetings people

Please Can Someone with with MB ASUS M2N4 SLI perform a test for me and let me know the result?

MB: ASUS M2N4 SLI
socket: AM2,AM2+,AM3
At least Two or more CD/DVD Drives
Latest Bios update: 1205 (beta) or previous non beta.
Other components: Not important

Test:
1) Configure bios to boot CD/DVD first (note drive the order in cd/dvd selection)
2) place a bootable CD/DVD Disc in second Drive on the List in the CD/DVD section
3) Restart system and observe activity indicators on both CD/DVD Drives during startup.

4) Confirm Following:
(a) Bios fails to boot the bootable disc in second drive in the boot order
(b) Bios fails to check any other drive other than the first drive (no activity on the the second drive at system startup).

Thanks people.

regards pcaceit

"At least Two or more CD/DVD Drives"...

Disconnect all DVD/CD drives except one, and try booting from the optical drive still active

If you have even just two CD/DVD Drives or two Hard Drives then the Bios is meant to check the next drive on boot order list if no bootable CD/DVD disk is found in the first Drive.
same function for Hard drives.
i need someone with same board to test for me to determine that The bios is failing to check the second or third Drive in CD/DVD boot order list.

I explained how to make it easy for the motherboard bios to find a bootable CD/DVD drive. MAKE THE BOOT ORDER LIST AS SHORT AS POSSIBLE... If the bios "sees" or list these devices, it is not a bios problem

Thanks Tmagic650

Let me explain

I have another Asus System running right now (older than M2N4 SLI) and it checks and boots all devices in sequence like it is supposed to, it does not just check for bootable disk in the first CD/DVDdrive in the list. It checks for and boots any bootable disc in the second Drive if no disc or a non bootable disc is in the first drive in the list.

It is a Bios problem if it only checks the first drive in the list.
if it was meant to check and boot one drive only, then you would not be able change the boot order for CD/DVD section, you would only be able to select a drive from the list.

I have been trying to get ASUS to confirm if this is the intended operation for this Board or will they address it in a future bios update.

This is the first ASUS board i have come across that does this.

You would lol if you see their response, they have not answered none of the questions i asked them.

Just how many optical (CD/DVD R/W) drives are installed, two? I have 2 optical drives D and E. The bios always sees the D optical drive as a boot device

Current setup: two; occasionally three or more (it is sometimes neccessary, too long to go into why).

yes! I do know that some Bios is programmed to only boot one Divice from CD/DCD section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back